Ayn Rand fans discussion

Favorite Rand quotes

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lusine (last edited Sep 10, 2010 09:51AM) (new)

Lusine | 4 comments Mod
What are some of your favorite Ayn Rand quotes?

message 2: by Lusine (new)

Lusine | 4 comments Mod
Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values

message 3: by Shelter (new)

Shelter Somerset (sheltersomerset) | 2 comments The largest minority is the individual

message 4: by Qt (new)

Qt | 4 comments "The secular meaning of the Christmas holiday is wider than the tenets of any particular religion: it is good will toward men... The charming aspect of Christmas is the fact that it expresses good will in a cheerful, happy, benevolent, non-sacrificial way. One says: ´Merry Christmas´ – not ´Weep and repent´. And the good will is expressed in a material, earthly form – by giving presents to one's friends, or by sending them cards in token of remembrance."

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (Kruzad3r) | 2 comments "Francisco, what's the most depraved type of human being?" "The man without a purpose."

"No. I don't like people who speak or think in terms of gaining anybody's confidence. If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception. The person who craves a moral blank check of that kind, has dishonest intentions, whether he admits it to himself or not."

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

"The only difference between animals and humans is that animals change for the environment, humans change the environment for themselves."

message 7: by C. Eli (new)

C. Eli (wanttolivelife23) | 1 comments So many good ones...some of my favorites:

"Honest people are never touchy about the matter of being trusted."

"I refuse to accept as guilt the fact of my own existence."

"Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives."

"Man's survival requires that those who think be free of the interference of those who don't."

message 8: by M. (new)

M. (mdarwin) | 1 comments Hello. New to the group and felt inclined to add a quote:

"What power there was in words; later for those who heard them, but first for the one who found them; a healing power, a solution, like the breaking of a barrier.
He thought, perhaps the basic secret the scientists have never found, the first fount of life, is that which happens when a thought takes shape in words."
-Ayn Rand- "The Fountainhead"

message 9: by Kendyl (new)

Kendyl (kendyllgull) "I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual)."

message 10: by John (new)

John LaCarna (JohnLaCarna) | 3 comments When someone demands of me "Why do you NEED (some luxury)?" I answer "My favorite things are things I don't need." I attribute that to some Ayn Rand character, but I can't remember who in what work. Can anyone tell me? Or am I mistaken?

I look forward to participating in this group. I've read Atlas Shrugged three times, The Fountainhead four, We The Living twice, Anthem several times, The Night of January 16 twice, and I've also read The Early Ayn Rand and all the fictional parts of Journals of Ayn Rand.
I've read a few of her essays with interest, but I mainly enjoy her fiction.
John LaCarna
Baton Rouge, LA

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Hewitt (adamhewitt) | 1 comments "The rational (the good) has nothing to gain from the irrational (the evil), except a share of its failures and crimes; the irrational has everything to gain from the rational: a share of its achievements and values. An industrialist does not need the help of a burglar in order to succeed; a burglar needs the industrialist’s achievement in order to exist at all. What collaboration is possible between them and to what end?"
- from "The Anatomy of Compromise" in Capitalism - The Unknown Ideal

"That which is not worth contemplating in life is not worth reproducing in art." - The Romantic Manifesto

​"The rational man never distorts or corrupts his own standards and judgement in order to appeal to the irrationality, stupidity, or dishonesty of others. He knows that such a course is suicidal." - I don't remember where I found this one. I think it was "Philosophy, Who Needs It".

message 12: by Pooja (last edited Sep 16, 2013 12:14PM) (new)

Pooja Dawada (poojadawada) | 1 comments Hello John,
I might be wrong but i think it relates to Howard Roark from fountainhead where he brings gifts for Dominique just because he wants to see them with her.
Or with Rearden in Atlas Shrugged with a similar situation.
Its one of the two i suppose.

message 13: by John (new)

John LaCarna (JohnLaCarna) | 3 comments Thanks, Pooja I'll scan them for that quotation.
And pretty much time to read them again anyway.
John LaCarna