Q&A with Heidi Durrow author of The Girl Who Fell From the Sky discussion

My Favorite Writers & Influences

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heididurrow) | 13 comments Mod
I can't limit myself to a Top 10 Books or Top 10 Authors, but I'd love to tell you about all the writers (thinkers/artists/poets) who have influenced me. And maybe you have some suggestions for me?

message 2: by Mrlunch (new)

Mrlunch | 1 comments Heidi-

When reading your novel (which I loved!!!) I couldn't help but notice it was published by Algonquin. One of my favorite coming-of-age novels was also published by Algonquin--Kaye Gibbons' Ellen Foster. Like your book, it's a story about a young girl who has a rough and traumatic early childhood. I won't give away too much more, but will only say that almost 10 years after it was published, Oprah noticed it and added it to her book club.

Too bad that Oprah is no longer doing her book club--your novel would have been a perfect choice!

message 3: by Heidi (new)

I LOVE Ellen Foster and I LOVE Oprah--and if she LOVED The Girl that would be AWESOME! I understood that the Franzen book won't be the last book pick of the season and so I hold out hope. I would love to share this story with as many people as possible. It's funny because as I writer the more people I meet who have read the book, the more I learn about what I was writing about --and also I feel more and more confirmed in the belief that as a community and country we are less divided than maybe we are led to believe by sensational headlines. Readers of all walks of life are finding themselves in this particular story--it's heartening--it feels like we're finding our way to each other in some small small way through a small story. This is my hope at least! heidi

message 4: by Heidi (new)

A round-up of some of my all-time favorite books (not a complete list by any means):
1. The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison
2. Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison
3. House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros
4. The Hours, Michael Cunningham
5. The Bone People, Keri Hulme
6. Possession, A.S. Byatt
7. The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
8. Life of Pi, Yann Martel
9. Two Cities, John Edgar Wideman
10. Passing, Nella Larsen
11. Quicksand, Nella Larsen
12. Evidence of Things Unseen, Marianne Wiggins
13. and tons of poetry--should I list those here too?

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea (vagabondia) <"...I feel more and more confirmed in the belief that as a community and country we are less divided than maybe we are led to believe by sensational headlines. Readers of all walks of life are finding themselves in this particular story--it's heartening--it feels like we're finding our way to each other in some small small way through a small story.>

Perfectly said!!!

message 6: by Maia (new)

Maia | 1 comments yes, please list some of your favorite poetry! thanks!

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Maia wrote: "yes, please list some of your favorite poetry! thanks!"
Favorites: William Stafford, Mary Oliver, Honoree Jeffers, Sharon Olds, Shakespeare's sonnets, Rita Dove, new favorites Kristin Naca, Marianne Boruch

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 5 comments Mrlunch wrote: "Heidi-

When reading your novel (which I loved!!!) I couldn't help but notice it was published by Algonquin. One of my favorite coming-of-age novels was also published by Algonquin--Kaye Gibbons' E..."

I agree Oprah's club would have been a perfect choice. Often when I couldn't decide what books to buy I would buy it because Oprah recommended it, and I was never sorry.

message 9: by Sherry (last edited Oct 22, 2010 10:14AM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 5 comments Heidi wrote: "A round-up of some of my all-time favorite books (not a complete list by any means):
1. The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison
2. Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison
3. House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros
4...."

I've read two on this list, The Life of Pi -- an amazing book -- one of the best, and Evidence of Things Unseen I'll check out the rest.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 5 comments Heidi wrote: "I LOVE Ellen Foster and I LOVE Oprah--and if she LOVED The Girl that would be AWESOME! I understood that the Franzen book won't be the last book pick of the season and so I hold out hope. I would..."
Amen! I have so many students now that can completely relate to this book. A few will get Christmas presents of your book from me this year. Truly remarkable.