Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

QUESTIONS > THE EDWARDIAN ERA/BELL EPOQUE/GILDED AGE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi All-
It's been too quiet in our corner of late!!!
I woudl like to start a new discussion about the Edwardian era, otherwise known as the Belle Epoque or the Gilded Age. What books have you read in this setting? What authors do you recommend? - Emery

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I love this time period. Wish there were more romances set around this time. Well this is romance, but I love these books.

Beast by Judith Ivory (Edwardian)
Lions and Lace and Moonlight Becomes Her by Meagan McKinney
The Perfect Scandal by Kit Garland
The Seduction by Laura Lee Gurkhe
Just Before Midnight by Suzanne Robinson

message 3: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I love this time period. Wish there were more romances set around this time. Well this is romance, but I love these books.

Beast by Judith Ivory (Edwardian)
[book:Lions and Lac..."

Thanks so much Danielle! I want to start some reading and research on this era for a possible future novel. I will check out your reviews.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) You're very welcome. If you find some more, let us know!

message 5: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) Edwardian/Belle Epoque if my favorite era!

I unfortunately can't find a lot in this era, but I'm constantly looking.

I know there is Sherry Thomas' books and the Duncan series by Jane Feather.

I heard that Laura Lee Guhrke's next series will take place in the Edwardina era, which I'm excited for!

message 6: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Sep 10, 2010 11:11AM) (new)

Hi Christy-
Thanks for reminding me about the Jane Feather titles. I love her and have read these.

message 7: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
The Age Of Innocence by Edith Wharton

message 8: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "The Age Of Innocence by Edith Wharton"

Hi Gaile- I have to ask what others thought of this one. I guess it qualifies for our list, but I have a hard time recommending it. Even though it was a Pulitzer prize winner, I hated it! I also hated Madame Bovary. (Gee, did I really confess this nasty secret aloud?)

I welcome any other opinions on these two "great" novels.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Ive heard the book is really good..friends recommend it to me..I just cant get past the cover!

message 10: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Sandi- Which book is this??

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Hi Emery this is the only cover I have ever seen at my used book storeThe Age of Innocence
Im not sure of the actress but she's pretty scarey looking! maybe I need to seek out other copies..but this one keeps showing up!

message 12: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

How about Maud Hart Lovelace's books? Betsy And Tacy beginning with Betsy as a little girl and ending with her marriage and birth of first child.
There is also a nonfiction book written by Florence Adele Sloane, a grand daughter of Cornelius Vanderbilt.
Maverick In Mauve is her diary written in the 1890's and ending with her engagement and marriage. It is not a torrid romance but she did live in that era and writes of her life as she's living it. Jackie Kennedy helped to get this one published.

message 13: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "Hi Emery this is the only cover I have ever seen at my used book storeThe Age of Innocence
Im not sure of the actress but she's pretty scarey looking! maybe I need to seek out other ..."

That's Michelle Pfeiffer and Daniel Day Lewis from the movie. And you are right-What a horrible photo!

message 14: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Sep 13, 2010 10:35AM) (new)

There are three other books that took place in this period.
No Greater Love and Mirror Image by Danielle Steele
Also These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
I did like The Age Of Innocence! The copy I have doesn't have such a horrible cover. You should be able to get it in the classic section of Barnes & Noble with a better cover!

message 15: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "There are three other books that took place in this period.
No Greater Love and Mirror Image by Danielle Steele
Also These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
I did like The Age Of Innocenc..."

Hi Gaile- Of the titles you listed, which if any would you recommend for our list?

message 16: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Both by Danielle Steele and These happy Golden Years.
The last is more of a YA. It is a frontier courtship but I liked it so much, I read it twice.
No Greater Love begins with the sinking of the Titanic.

message 17: by Karla (new)

Karla Lusitania by David Butler is a sea-going soap opera in 1915. Maybe not hardcore RHF, but if you like fat books about peoples' tangled lives suddenly thrown into a disaster, it might be a worthwhile read. I loved it.

message 18: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

HI Karla-
While this one may not meet our "romantic" requirement, it certainly looks like a good one for those interested in learning more about his epoque in history. I think few people are familiar with the Lusitania, as she is by far overshadowed by the Titanic. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

message 19: by Karla (last edited Sep 22, 2010 06:47AM) (new)

Karla I read it just because it wasn't about The Other Ship. :) It's got the added aspect of the war that the Titanic doesn't have. More meaty IMO.

message 20: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

I'm very interrested in this. I know little about WWI. Thanks!

message 21: by Karla (last edited Sep 22, 2010 06:53AM) (new)

Karla I love the air war part of WWI. I'm always hoping to find a fat romance saga with an ace as the hero. US, British, French, German...I'm not picky! No luck yet. :( The air war has more romance. Get into the trenches and it's sooooo depressing.

message 22: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) I haven't read any of them yet, but I've come across a romance/mystery series by Brenda Joyce that takes place in 1902 New York. Deadly Love is the first book in the series.

message 23: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thanks Christy! I'll check this out!

message 24: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Talk about the Edwardian era and WWI flying makes me think of the Flambards series by K.M.Peyton. Flambards (Flambards, book 1) by K.M. Peyton The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, book 2) by K.M. Peyton Flambards in Summer (Flambards, book 3) by K.M. Peyton Flambards Divided (Flambards, Book 4) by K.M. Peyton
This 4 book series follows Christina from the time she gets shipped off to the Flambards estate as an orphan & placed in care of her Uncle Russell. As Christina grows up we see the societal changes from the old landed gentry mentality to the more egalitarian "modern world' brought about by WWI. There was lots of romance- my preference was for her first love, the stable lad, Dick. More fans applauded her romance with the younger son of Uncle Russell, William, whose main interest was building flying machines. William later goes to war as a pilot. The final book in the series, written many years after the initial trilogy has mixed reaction from fans. At first I found it troubling as it was far from an 'and they lived happily ever after' ending but upon reflection I can see that it was a realistic conclusion that fit well with the post-war period. While written for young adults I came to these books as an adult and was enthralled. There was also a British TV series that aired over here back in the 80s and is available on DVD. So good!

message 25: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandra wrote: "Talk about the Edwardian era and WWI flying makes me think of the Flambards series by K.M.Peyton. Flambards (Flambards, book 1) by K.M. PeytonThe Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, book 2) by K.M. Peyton [bookcover:Flambards in Sum..."

Sandra-
Had not heard of this. Thanks so very much for sharing it with us!I've added this entire series to the list. BTW- Number one looks right up my alley!

message 26: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 40 comments I've been reading Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney which takes place in 1893 Chicago. It's quite good so far. The character's frequent the World's Fair, and the author included some nice descriptions of the exhibits and attractions which I'm enjoying reading about.
Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill Julie
I just finished 'Wild at Heart' last week as well.
Patricia Gaffney was a new-to-me author and I've now read about 4 or so of her books.
She's a very good writer.

message 28: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Emery wrote: "BTW- Number one looks right up my alley! ."

Figured the horsey cover would pique your interest. There is heavy emphasis on horses, hunting & a lot of sidesaddle in the first book where city-bred Christina learns to ride. I watched the TV series before seeking out the books and it was the depiction of sidesaddle riding that drew me [I'm a life member of the International Sidesaddle Organization even though I have not been on a horse in decades. I joined soon after ISSO started in the 70s and owned a SS even before getting my first horse. I was heavy into historic costume and equestrienne dress was a favorite area of interest just for the romance of it].

Peyton is well known for her books centered on horses. Look for Dear Fred- a period story set in the racing game; Fly-by-Night is for younger readers, has a contemporary setting and is about a girl who really, really wants a horse. There's a sequel set in the world of Pony Clubbing.

message 29: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

How Cool! I have never ridden in a sidesaddle, although I've faked for a costume class by removing my right stirrup leather. I also love costumes!If you get a chance, here's a link to my "black widow" on my Goodreads profile page:
http://www.goodreads.com/photo/author...

message 30: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "I've been reading Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney which takes place in 1893 Chicago. It's quite good so far. The character's frequent the World's Fair, and the author included some nice descripti..."

Jill wrote: "Julie
I just finished 'Wild at Heart' last week as well.
Patricia Gaffney was a new-to-me author and I've now read about 4 or so of her books.
She's a very good writer."

Hi Julie-
Is this a nomination? If you think it's a good fit for our list, I'll add it.Wild at Heart

message 31: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Emery wrote: ", here's a link to my "black wid..."

Ooooh, I love that hat- and the horse is a beaut! Here's link to one of my equestrienne costume efforts way back when I was still skinny- me in the picture.
http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/2...

message 32: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

OOOOH!!! You look mahvelous dahling!
I absolutely adore it and would kill to have it!! Everyone needs to check out Sandra's gorgeous habit.
When did you wear it, and what happened to it?

message 33: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Only submitted photos for an issue of Sidesaddle News and wore it in an equestrian fashion show for a local breed club event. Unfortunately a dirty rat (or mouse) decided the collar would be tasty and chewed the heck out of it while it was stored in my attic. Now very much the worse for wear, poor thing. It was never properly finished. What you see is largely held together (at least the buttons & trim) with safety pins and tacking stitches.

message 34: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Sep 25, 2010 08:32PM) (new)

Sandra wrote: "Emery wrote: ", here's a link to my "black wid..."

Ooooh, I love that hat- and the horse is a beaut! Here's link to one of my equestrienne costume efforts way back when I was still skinny- me i..."

Sandra-
Regarding the horse- that was my beloved Kasper, who died a tragic death (a horrible accident)while I was writing THE HIGHEST STAKES. I dedicated the book to him. He really was beautiful, and one of the prettiest movers I ever rode.

message 35: by Julianna (last edited Sep 26, 2010 04:06PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 40 comments Emery wrote: "Hi Julie-
Is this a nomination? If you think it's a good fit for our list, I'll add it.Wild at Heart "

Hmmmm...good question. It doesn't have quite as much history as some of the other HR titles I've nominated, but it might have enough to be suitable for our shelf. I looked up the 1893 World's Fair, and that part definitely appears to be historically authentic, as are the social mores, conditions for many zoo animals of that era, and the rise of Darwin's evolutionary theories (the heroine's father is an anthropologist).

Jill, since you recently read it too, what do you think?

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Emery wrote: "Hi Julie-
Is this a nomination? If you think it's a good fit for our list, I'll add it.Wild at Heart "

Hmmmm...good question. It doesn't have quite as much history as some of the oth..."

'Wild at Heart' is a great story but perhaps a little light on the history, except of course for the description of the World's Fair and the zoo, which I agree does seem very authentic.

Perhaps it might just squeeze onto the HR shelf?

message 37: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

OK then - Done.

message 38: by Tina (new)

Tina Christy wrote: "I haven't read any of them yet, but I've come across a romance/mystery series by Brenda Joyce that takes place in 1902 New York. Deadly Love is the first book in the series."

I've read all of Brenda Joyce's Deadly series and they are wonderful. The sense of time and place, turn of the century New York City, is great. The books are mysteries with a strong romance element. They look at the conditions of the time (great wealthy consumption, the poor immigrant class rise and importance of the police etc.).

I would also add P.B. Ryan's Gilded Age mystery series. The first book is Still Life with Murder. Again, great sense of time and place, Boston right after the civil war. Mystery and a great, wonderful romance snaking through. It is a completed series with 6 books.

message 39: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Tina wrote: "Christy wrote: "I haven't read any of them yet, but I've come across a romance/mystery series by Brenda Joyce that takes place in 1902 New York. Deadly Love is the first book in the se..."

Tina- Thanks so much for your nominations!I'm going to add Historical Romantic Suspense as a new catagory.
(And sorry it took so long to reply as I was out of town for several days for a writers conference.)

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill Emery
Misfit has provided a trilogy that I think would suit for the Gilded Age shelf.

Castles in the Air
No Greater Love
On Wings of Dreams by Patricia Gallagher

What do you think?

message 41: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hey Jill-

I actually added these when she suggested them but filed under 19th century. I had not yet created the GA shelf. I'll happily make the change.

message 42: by Jill (new)

Jill Thanks, Emery.

message 43: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

There are two time travel books by Jack Finney taking place in that same era complete with photos!

message 44: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Sorry. The time travel is in the 1880 s.

message 45: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Berry How about Mark Twain's the Gilded Age?

message 46: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Danielle Steele wrote a novel about the sinking of the Titanic. I forget the title but would that qualify?

message 47: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 18 comments Christy wrote: "I haven't read any of them yet, but I've come across a romance/mystery series by Brenda Joyce that takes place in 1902 New York. Deadly Love is the first book in the series."

I have read this entire series, and read them one right after the other as fast as I could go. Loved every minute, and would not hesitate to read them again, if I ever ran out of new books to read. I have heard that the series will continue, and am so hoping this is true!

message 48: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 18 comments Gaile wrote: "There are two time travel books by Jack Finney taking place in that same era complete with photos!"

Jack Finney's "Time and Again" is one of the few books I have read several times. I never get tired of it, though I am not usually into time travel or other paranormal excursions.

message 49: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited May 11, 2011 06:59PM) (new)

@ Christy and Sherry-
I have now added the entire Francesca Cahill series to our early 20th century and romantic-hisorical suspense shelf. Thanks for bringing these to my attention!

message 50: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Has anyone ever suggested Somewhere In Time originally published as Bid Time Return by Matheson. This was the time-traveling basis for the romantic movie. The mention of the Finney books made me think of it.

« previous 1