The Wagon discussion

Hardcover Books for the Read-Along, Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
It's come to my attention that some books being suggested and included in the poll for our next Read-Along are only available in hardcover form. Many people find this to be cost prohibitive, and those who obtain books from the library find the books are not readily available to them.

What is your opinion on hardcover books? How would you like to see this issue handled within the group?

We could:
1. Exclude hardcovers entirely from our Read-Alongs. We can put the ones we'd like to read on our "Waiting for Paperback" bookshelf, so we do not lose track of them for future reference.

2. Have two separate Read-Alongs going--one for hardcover editions, and one for books that are available in paperback. This may make the group of people participating in each Read-Along a lot smaller.

3. Any other ideas/suggestions??

I know those of us who have Kindles or other E-readers are not affected by the hardcover/paperback issue. But in the spirit of the group, its important that we consider everyone as a whole.

message 2: by Missy Ann (last edited Sep 10, 2010 07:22AM) (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments Yup, Kindle gal here. I hate hardcovers (it's not so much the cost, but the comfort factor), so if the majority wants to exclude them I understand and kinda agree.

I like the idea of a "waiting for paperback" list.

The only downside of that is there are going to be more people who don't join because they've already read the book.

Oh another thought, what about trade paperbacks? those are usually in the $14 range. Are we including them or are we limiting to mass market paperbacks?

message 3: by Kari (new)

Kari | 19 comments I get most of mine from the library anyway and if it is on audio, I can always listen to it as well, so it makes no difference to me. I find that the larger paperbacks are jsut as expensive as well.