Clean Reads discussion

News From/For Our Clean Authors > Recommendations from Authors

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 75 comments By request from one of our new members (hi Holly), an author who has written a clean read (yay Holly), here is a place for authors to post about their books that they think we might like. If you feel that your book is "PG-13", please let us know why (mild sexual content, some language, themes unacceptable for children...). We like to be well informed before we pick up a book.

Thanks authors. We're glad you're out there, being sensitive to our standards, and fighting off the pull of the world to write degrading and offensive material. Keep up the wood work!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Tracy. I'll be first to take advantage. :)

INSURRECTION - which comes out next month - is more personal in story than Allon Book 1. I'd say it would be PG not sure about the "13" since middle schoolers read the first book.

That rating would be for fantasy danger and adventure.
There is no sexual content - just a kiss of reunion. Only 1 cuss word used in an appropriate time and place.

Although set during a time of rebellion, the major themes are family centered and deal with choices parents make that affect their children,either for good or evil. How those children respond, the choices they make and the end result for the family and individuals.

Throughout the series I deal with tough issues facing kids.

message 3: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 0 comments Hi again,

Oops! Sorry I didn't see this topic. I left my recommendation for our new YA anthology Unlocked: Ten "Key" Tales on the first topic... the 'How did you find this group'.

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) Thank you for opening up this post, Tracy!

My debut novel, Crestmont, is set in the 1920s and revolves around the lives of the staff at a bustling summer inn. Themes of grace abound. There is no violence, no sexual scenes and two cuss words used appropriately by certain characters. Crestmont has been enjoyed by teen through adults. I will warn you that there is some smoking in Crestmont, because that was very much a part of the 1920s culture.

Crestmont Crestmont by Holly Weiss
Here is the latest review http://pacificbookreview.com/Crestmon...

I had to stop my professional singing career because of health issues, so one voice led to another when I started to write Crestmont.

I hope you enjoy it.
More info on my website www.hollyweiss.com
Thank you for listening and I hope you enjoy it!
Holly

message 5: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 20 comments I, too, appreciate you setting up this thread, Tracy. :-)

I have published two sweet medieval romances. The romance is definitely G-rated, but they might be rated PG overall, due to violence (not graphic) and what one or two people thought were somewhat "scary scenes". Again, nothing graphic. They're written for an adult audience, though that's mostly due to the vocabulary level, but I've had readers as young as 12 say they've read and enjoyed them.

Loyalty's Web (Reprint) by Joyce DiPastena Illuminations of the Heart by Joyce DiPastena

message 6: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Wow, I'm excited to read all of these books. Yea Tracy for starting this thread. Great idea! :)

message 7: by Marti (new)

Marti Talbott (martitalbott) | 7 comments Greetings, I am new to this website and this is my first post. They say you should write what you like to read and I have thrown more than one book in the trash due to bad language and detailed sex. So I write only clean romance.

Marti Talbott's Highlander Series (Volume I - V) is a collection of five books containing twenty short stories. The stories span two generations and several years in the lives of a Scottish clan. There is some violence and a couple of swear words in these stories.

My other books are Seattle Quake 9.2, The Promise The Viking and coming soon - Betrothed.
Marti Talbott

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 20 comments Marti, is The Viking a historical about the actual Vikings? Someone in the Goodreads Clean Romances Group was looking for clean Viking novels, so if yours is a historical, I'll recommend it. :-)

message 9: by Marti (new)

Marti Talbott (martitalbott) | 7 comments "The Viking" is a novel, not an account of actual history, if that's what you mean. Thanks for asking. :o) Tell your friend he or she can read the first chapter free at www.firstchapterproject.com

Here's the summary:

At not quite fifteen, Stefan’s father finally let him board the longship Sja Vinna to take part in his first Viking raid. But the battle was not at all what he expected and he found himself alone and stranded in Scotland.

Thirteen-year-old Kannak’s problem was just as grave. Her father deserted them and the only way to survive, she decided, was to take a husband over her mother‘s objections. Then suddenly she found herself helping a hated Viking escape. Could Kannak successfully hide a Viking in the middle of a Scottish Clan? And why was someone plotting to kill the clan's beloved laird?

message 10: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 20 comments Hi Marti! I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my question. Yes, the Clean Romances member was looking for Viking novels, but she wanted it to be a "clean" read, which as you know, isn't all that easy to find these days. I was wondering whether your novel was an actual historical novel, or if it was something like a contemporary novel called "The Viking", just because the hero was from Norway or Denmark, so he was nicknamed "The Viking". LOL! You never know for sure these days. :-) I suppose it could have been a paranormal, too, or a time travel, or something like that. You REALLY can't tell a book from it's title anymore. LOL!

Thanks for the summary. The book sounds great! So, if the main characters are in the 13-15 age range, do you consider it a YA?

message 11: by Marti (new)

Marti Talbott (martitalbott) | 7 comments I've wondered if my books are suitable for young adults. I really don't know where that line is. Perhaps if you are your friend decides to read it, you might be willing to give me your opinion. I know there are not many books in that genre. The teens do grow up in my book, but no sex and there is very little violence.

By the way, my new book is almost live in Kindle - "Betrothed." I'm excited about it. Again, no sexual situations, but some violence.

I read every Victoria Holt I could get my hands on when I was young. Some are still available and in fact, I just read one a few months ago. What a great writer that lady was.

message 12: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 20 comments Thanks, Marti. I came close to writing a Viking book once. Bought several research books, but never wrote it...yet. Maybe someday. :-)

I'll probably check your book out, though I don't know how soon. I've put it on my wish list, though, so I won't forget that I want it. :-)

I haven't read Victoria Holt forever, but I remember enjoying her books when I was young.

message 13: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Britton | 46 comments My sister and I wrote a book The Viking Crown that is kind of a gothic set in Central America. Though it isn't set in Viking days, it has a lot about Viking history in it. A larger publisher wanted to buy it, but they wanted us to "spice it up." We didn't so it's sort of a historical romance without the racy sex scenes. I just don't think they are necessary. If anyone's interested it is available only on Kindle.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&k...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

ALLON Book 2 - INSURRECTION is now available.

http://www.amazon.com/Allon-~-Book-In...

message 15: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Britton | 46 comments My sister and I have written lots of Clean Reads, mostly mystery and romantic suspense and some westerns and gothics. Some of our clean romantic suspense titles are Arctic Legacy, and Bitter Melody. In large print we have Path of the Jaguar and Stone of Vengeance. Our western titles include The Devil's Game, The Fifth Ace, The Wild Card (Western)
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&...

message 16: by Anna (last edited Oct 01, 2010 10:21AM) (new)

Anna del C. Dye | 29 comments Hello there.
I wrote The Silent Warrior Trilogy for Young Adults.
Book one-The Elf and the Princess
Book two-Trouble in the Elf City
Book three-Elfs in a Conquered Realm
There are battles and romance in them, but no a single swear word or sex scenes in them. And yes I am proud of that.
I do many reviews for online reviewers and I never give five start to books that contain this garbage.(No matter how good the book other wise) Usually I refuse to review them.
You can find more on my books at:
Anna del C. Dye
http://www.annadelc.com
For reviews see amazon.com
Thanks so much for this chance.

message 17: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 20 comments Vickie wrote: "My sister and I wrote a book The Viking Crown that is kind of a gothic set in Central America. Though it isn't set in Viking days, it has a lot about Viking history in it. A larger publisher wan..."

I applaud you, Vickie, for standing by your principles and not "spicing up" your books to make a sale. That takes a lot of courage, but you're oh-so-right that it's just "not necessary". There are so many of us who are looking for clean reads. Maybe one day the publishing world will realize that.

message 18: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Britton | 46 comments I hope so, but it's been a long wait.

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) Do you need a vacation?
Here's an introductory trailer to clean read Crestmont.
windchimes and bubbling water in background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0fwyh...
Hope you enjoy it.

message 20: by Alain (new)

Alain Gomez | 6 comments My western romance novella is zestfully clean: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

You can find it on both Amazon and B&N for 99 cents.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Allon Book 3 - Heir Apparent is now in paperback and GoodReads giveaway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Jsik...

message 22: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 18 comments Alain wrote: "My western romance novella is zestfully clean

I was looking at your other books on Amazon. Are all of your books clean, or is it just the western romance ones? Thanks!!

message 23: by Alain (last edited Apr 07, 2011 01:42AM) (new)

Alain Gomez | 6 comments My science fiction short stories (Celebrity Space, Doctor Fleischer, Hotel Moonwalk) have one or two "bad" swear words (it's in the context of the character speaking) and twilight zone type endings.

A Model Railway Man and The Sacrifice have no swear words in them but also have twists in the end.

Payroll and Takeover are both clean, happy-ending type stories.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Shirk (jennifershirk) | 22 comments Hi! I have two clean romantic comedies I wrote.
The Role of a Lifetime is available in print and ebook. It might have some mild casual swears (similar to heck or darn) but that's it.
And my other book Georgie On His Mind is only available through libraries as a hardcover. It's published through Avalon Books, which publish a variety of wholesome secular reads for the library market.
Thanks!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

As a parent, I've talked about writing clean books, but have I mentioned a my safe, kid friendly website? It was built with the help of my husband and daughter, both gifted and skilled in animation and characters.

Your kids can safely explore an interactive map of Allon that discusses various geographical regions, meet the characters, watch exciting and clean animated videos as well as read excerpts. If you haven't visited the website, I invite you to take a few moments and enjoy!

http://www.allonbooks.com

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin Allen | 15 comments My Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop mystery series is clean--and humorous! The first book, If You Can't Stand the Heat , about an Austin, TX public health inspector is out now from Midnight Ink (paperback).

I'm running a giveaway for two copies of the book through May 8, 2011. You can get to it through my profile.

Peace Y'all,
-Robin

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

The next installment of the Allon Series

Book 3 - Heir Apparent. (A story of family relations)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Jsik...

message 28: by Neve (new)

Neve Maslakovic (nevemaslakovic) Just introduced myself over in the How did you find the group? thread and wanted to add my book to the list of clean reads here. Regarding Ducks and Universes was recommended by the School Library Journal as being appropriate for all readers (though it's not a kids' book): "The story unfolds at a sprightly pace...clever combination of mystery, science fiction and humor gives this title broad appeal."

I had someone say in an Amazon review, "One of the things I liked most about 'Regarding Ducks and Universes' is that it's the kind of book one could recommend to anyone--no extreme violence, language, political message, etc.--which I can't say for a lot of books these days."

Am looking forward to browsing through the other titles mentioned in this and the other threads in the group!

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 2 comments I have a clean fantasy romance, Through the Rabbit Hole, which was published by Astraea Press, a sweet publisher of clean reads for people ages 15 and up.

Through not I didn't target Through the Rabbit Hole as a YA novella when I wrote it, the story is suitable for teens--and of course adults:) I would say the rating is PG. There is some kissing, but nothing more intimate than that. Death is mentioned, but no graphic details are mentioned.

Thanks for reading this little recommendation!

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 01, 2011 08:53AM) (new)

Allon Book 3 - Heir Apparent is now on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/Allon-Book-Heir...

Book 4 - A Question of Sovereignty is ready for pre-release viewing for August 2011. (PG - fantasy violence, no foul language, kissing scene nothing intimate shown)

http://www.allonbooks.com

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane Daniels | 3 comments Shawn, do you self publish? I'd like to know more about that process. I've written and had published a YA book, OVER THE MOON, and the 2nd book in this series is finished, but I don't think I'm going to go with the same publisher as they don't market well. Anything you can share will be appreciated.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, Diane, I now self-publish through Create Space. They are owned by Amazon, so I get a direct listing on Amazon and can link my e-books to my paperbacks.

As for the marketing, Create Space doesn't do that, but with the Pro Plan, I get into Ingram and Baker & Taylor for distribution. And as a POD, I don't have to keep inventory, except to order what I need for events. The quality is almost equal to my traditional book, so I'm satisfied. The cover stock could be heavier, but other than that, I'm fine with Create Space.

I did as much promotion and marketing for my traditional publisher as I do for myself. That's become the norm today for authors, to be marketers as well. I don't think you'll get away from that.

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna del C. Dye | 29 comments Diane, I too self-publish. My company is Outskirts Press. They are in Denver, Colorado. They have different packages and you can purchase all the extras you want from them, Even Promotion. They send you tips for two years with lots of information of how to tap to different avenues to sell your books. The majority of the tips go fabulous with non fantasy books, but you still get ideas from them. Like Shawn said, on our day the author is the one who does the promoting no the publisher. Best luck!

message 34: by Diane (new)

Diane Daniels | 3 comments Thanks so much Shawn and Anna! How much money do you have to put in? Is it more than $5,000? I know I have to sell my books. It just seems like I might be better off without the middle man. I'm checking all my options before I commit. I just got a kindle so I'll check out your books on Amazon if you'll give me the titles. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Create Space only cost $39 for the Pro Plan. My husband designs my covers and does the formatting for paperback and Kindle. Create Space has templates for covers with varying spines for the page numbers.

He used Aaron Shepherd's "Perfect Pages" on how to format for POD using Word. From the PDFs he was able to get further instructions from Shepherd's website on how to make a Kindle e-book. Once the formatting was done for the 1st book, he has a template. The proofs cost under $5.

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna del C. Dye | 29 comments My husband and kids do a lot for me too. Trailers, website, editing, PDF, e-book kindle and nook. The basic best package I get is $999. Then is about $99 for each, anything else you may want to get from them.
My books are in amazon and barnes&noble.
"The silent Warrior Trilogy" or just post my name in the finder thing at any of them. :)

message 37: by Loretta (new)

Loretta McClellan (lorettaboyermcclellan) Loretta Boyer McClellan Misthaven of Maine (Volume 1) by Loretta Boyer McClellan Misthaven of Maine (Volume 1) by Loretta Boyer McClellan Misthaven of Maine Journey to Beyond (Volume 2) by Loretta Boyer McClellan Misthaven of Maine Journey to Beyond (Volume 2) by Loretta Boyer McClellan
Thank you for considering the Misthaven of Maine Series by Loretta Boyer McClellan, for clean, compelling, contemporary fiction, with history and virtuous romance woven throughout. (Vol. 1 and 2 available, as of 12/31/12; please visit (http://www.misthavenofmaine.com or http://www.lorettaboyermcclellan.com for more information).

Misthaven of Maine was written for the 16+ teen audience (parental guidance always expected), as well as adults seeking a proper love story in the form of a gentle read/clean fiction. These tomes have been classified as literary fiction (character and setting-centric); have no profanity, violence, drugs or alcohol references; and have no sex scenes—although very subtle, discreet references alluding to marital relations between a husband and wife are about to take place in one scene, or already took place in another scene, are included in Volume Two.

Misthaven of Maine, Vol. 1 Synopsis: With genuine characters and settings steeped in history with stunning visuals, American Author, Loretta Boyer McClellan paints an engaging, coming-of-age journey, rich in the beauty of friendship and abiding love. Volume One in the Misthaven of Maine Series, Misthaven of Maine offers readers an empowering, contemporary story, amidst the sweeping vistas and echoed grace of New England.

Born and raised in Boston, with unyielding ties to her ancestral home of Maine and to the sea, sixteen year-old Eliza Hales is from affluent, yet grounded means. Despite experiencing her mother’s death when she was a young girl, inner strength and confidence prevail, providing a well-rounded independence and knowledge of self, which carry her into adulthood and throughout her authentic life. An accomplished artist and sailor, her unshakable sense of family, loyalty and the pursuit of her dreams witness the growth of a remarkable soul, who lives and loves deeply, always true to her heart.

Like the ocean itself, Misthaven of Maine offers up captivating and thoughtful treasures—a multilayered perspective, sure to entertain!

Misthaven of Maine is a contemporary, clean fiction, coming-of-age/virtuous romance novel with no profanity, violence, sex scenes or drugs or alcohol references.

Misthaven of Maine, Vol. 1
ISBN: 978-0-9856496-0-9 (Paperback); ISBN: 978-0-9856496-3-0 (Kindle)
Published May 29, 2012
Misthaven of Maine (Volume 1) by Loretta Boyer McClellan Misthaven of Maine (Volume 1) by Loretta Boyer McClellan

Misthaven of Maine: Journey to Beyond, Vol. 2 Synopsis: Continuing the Misthaven of Maine saga with Volume Two in the series, Loretta Boyer McClellan paints an engaging, contemporary story of love and family against the historic backdrop of majestic, Down East Maine.

Doctor Eliza Hales Longfellow, museum art historian and artist has lived a charmed, but grounded upbringing. Raised in Boston by her widowed father, summers at her ancestral home at Misthaven, along with a little trial and error return her as an adult to her childhood love and perfect match: Maine native and Attorney, Caleb Longfellow. Now twenty-seven and twenty-eight, back from their honeymoon at sail, their marriage and new life together take them beyond Hales Island in Casco Bay, to a place where making a difference means discovering that the ties that bind reveal what you’re really made of.

Through twists of fate and a determined spirit, Eliza’s drive shapes an interesting and fruitful life in the world of fine art, in all its captivating beauty, as well as intrigue in Misthaven of Maine: Journey to Beyond. Together, Caleb and Eliza embark on a journey of discovery, full of depth and dedication—a history, generations in the making worth preserving.

Misthaven of Maine: Journey to Beyond, Vol. 2 is a contemporary, clean fiction novel with romance, suspense and historical elements woven throughout.

Misthaven of Maine: Journey to Beyond, Vol. 2
ISBN: 978-0-9856496-2-3 (Paperback); ISBN: 978-0-9856496-1-6 (Kindle)
Published November 20, 2012
Misthaven of Maine Journey to Beyond (Volume 2) by Loretta Boyer McClellan Misthaven of Maine Journey to Beyond (Volume 2) by Loretta Boyer McClellan