Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Let's Talk Fairy Tales

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Hello Everyone! Yesterday you should have gotten an invitation to an event called "Let's Talk Fairy Tales." The date on it is September 11th.

In case you didn't get the invite, here's what it says:

Would you like to win advance copies of both "Wyoming Lawman" by Victoria Bylin and "Prairie Courtship" by Dorothy Clark? Vicki and Dorothy are giving away three copies of their October LIHs to three lucky readers. To be eligible for the drawing, leave a comment telling us about your favorite fairy tale. (General goodreads rules apply.)

"Wyoming Lawman" is about a former Texas Ranger with a devastating secret. He also has a tender side. Every night he reads to his little girl. Her favorite fairy tale is Cinderella.

"In Prairie Courtship," Dr. Emma no longer believes in happy endings. She doubts she will ever find her prince charming.

Okay friends! It's your turn. Let's talk fairy tales!

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4947 comments Ok looks like im first. My favourite fairytale as a child was the SnowQueen. I got a book when I was about 6 or 7 for my birthday with 3 stories, The ugly Duckling, The snow Queen and I cant remember the third story right now. I feel in love with the snowqueen and the boy who ends up with the snowqueen and the girl who ends up saving him. it was such a cool story and I fell in love with the story.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Hi AusJenny! Thanks for leading the charge. Fairy tales are such a part of childhood... I had "The Big Book of Fairy Tales" illustrated by Tasha Tudor. The drawings were gorgeous. "Rapunzel" was a favorite. So was "Thumbelina."

And others...

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4947 comments the other story was the flying trunk.

I have a selection of 16 Grimms fairytails which is really old. not sure how old but its got to be 50 years or more.

I think the Snow Queen got me in because it wasn't the ones you always hear like the 3 little pigs, cinderella, snow white, the ugly duckling.

ok on that note I need to go to bed! its way past my bedtime but thankfully its saturday tomorrow so I can sleep in I hope.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments So I found out when I took a children's lit class that the Grimms Fairytales are not so happy compared to the disney version! lol Not really meant for kids.

My favorite is Sleeping Beauty! I just love all the fairies and their personalities, plus who wouldn't want a prince coming to slay the dragon and rescue you from a deep sleep?

And, I love The Elves and the Shoemaker! I always wanted little elves to come in a fix my shoes when I was little. I always thought that story was true. hahaha

message 6: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
I love fairy tales. I think it was and is a good way to teach children to be aware that there is evil in this lovely world. My favorite fairy tale is the Mermaid. She dances regardless of the pain for the man she loves and Jennifer's right. It doesn't end happily (like the Disney version). The prince marries another and the Mermaid goes heartbroken back to the sea. But loving can be painful and we suffer much for those we love. True or not?

message 7: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 10, 2010 09:17AM) (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Very true, sometimes we need to go through the pain to learn a lesson or allow God to work through us. I was studying my Bible lesson in Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge, that I am teaching tonight and she pointed this out. "Much of what He allows in your life is not for you to simly accept, but to get you to rise up! God wants you to know how to wield the weapons of warfare, how to take a stand, and how to fight!"

message 8: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
My favorite is Cinderella. I still love a story with the same elements. I think the love for Cinderella runs in my family as my sister caught her daughter speaking harshly to her own five-year-old daughter one day telling her she needed to dust the bookcase. When my sister reacted in surprise, her daughter explained that she and the little one were playing Cinderella and that she was the evil step-mother.

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy I am an odd duck. :) My favorite is actually The Little Match Girl. One of the saddest stories I've ever read, but I love the ending...even though she dies, her grandmother, the one person who truly loved her while she was alive, comes to carry her to Heaven.

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Jennifer wrote: "So I found out when I took a children's lit class that the Grimms Fairytales are not so happy compared to the disney version! lol Not really meant for kids.

My favorite is Sleeping Beauty! I jus..."

Hi Jennifer,
The gruesomeness was a problem for me when I wrote the book. I really liked the idea of the father reading to his daughter, but the early versions were pretty intense. They also weren't all that commonly read until later in the century. I did my homework and foudn a way to make it work, but the Disney version definitely wasn't around back then!

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Jennifer wrote: "Very true, sometimes we need to go through the pain to learn a lesson or allow God to work through us. I was studying my Bible lesson in Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge, that I am teaching ..."

Me again, Jennifer! "Captivating" is an awesome read. I use those principles in my writing. Everyone woman wants a romance and an adventure, and she has an eye for beauty. It's a great way to start thinking about a book... what's missing in my heroine's life, and how does she pursue it?

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "My favorite is Cinderella. I still love a story with the same elements. I think the love for Cinderella runs in my family as my sister caught her daughter speaking harshly to her own five-year-ol..."

Hi Janet,
Cinderella goes way, way back. It's one of the reasons I used it in "Wyoming Lawman." I like the way Cinderella overcomes the hardship in her life. I'm not so big on glass slippers, though! They'd pinch!

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Joy wrote: "I am an odd duck. :) My favorite is actually The Little Match Girl. One of the saddest stories I've ever read, but I love the ending...even though she dies, her grandmother, the one person who trul..."

Joy, what an amazing story that must be. I've never read "The Little Match Girl." One of the fun things about a topic on Goodreads is learning new stuff. Sad or not, the story has a sweet ending.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 517 comments I have to agree with Joy. "The Little Match Girl" is my favorite also. Even though some of it is sad, it is obvious that her tough time on earth is over and a wonderful new life is beginning. It is by Hans Christian Anderson. Some of his others are very good also.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I forgot about that one Joy! I do like the ending. Anything by Hans Christian Anderson is always interesting to read.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Victoria wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Very true, sometimes we need to go through the pain to learn a lesson or allow God to work through us. I was studying my Bible lesson in Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge, th..."

I agree, it is an Amazing read!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Victoria wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "So I found out when I took a children's lit class that the Grimms Fairytales are not so happy compared to the disney version! lol Not really meant for kids.

My favorite is Sleep..."

lol, yup. No disney version back then. But, that's the fun of a challenge!

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 11 comments Hi everyone,
When it comes to Fairy tales I have always loved Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella.Both teach such valuable lessons when you look into them closely. Thumbelina was also one of my favorites. I can still hear my Mom reading them to me and my sister using different voices for all the characters. And now I do the same for my grandchildren when I read to them. This was a great idea. :)
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

message 19: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 217 comments I have always enjoyed Cinderella and Snow White and the Seven Drawfs. If I could pick a grown up movie fairy tale it would be Everafter. It has the wicked step-mother in it. It's kinda a Cinderella story.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Carol's post got me thinking about the lessons we learn from fairy tales. They're not just about happy endings. The characters persevere and overcome adversity. They're also about adventure.

Patsy, Love your Snow White icon :)

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 11 comments Yes Victoria,
Sometimes I wonder if I 'd have survived Cinderella's life without smacking the nasty ole stepmother in her jaw. lol lol
I have a lower thresh hold for patience during certain times :) But they do teach some lessons to give a positive outlook for the children to observe.
Thanks.
Carol L.

message 22: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 217 comments Victoria wrote: "Carol's post got me thinking about the lessons we learn from fairy tales. They're not just about happy endings. The characters persevere and overcome adversity. They're also about adventure.

I didn't realize when I said I like Snow White that that was my icon! haha The reason I chose that one is because I enjoy baking and taking baked goods to people. It shows Snow White holding a pie. My daughters laughed at me when they saw it. They said it just fit.
P..."

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Patsy wrote: "I have always enjoyed Cinderella and Snow White and the Seven Drawfs. If I could pick a grown up movie fairy tale it would be Everafter. It has the wicked step-mother in it. It's kinda a Cinderella..."

I love Ever After!! Enchanted was a good one too.

message 24: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Hanson | 3 comments Oh hi, I just love fairy tales. Got a whole set of them free for my Kindle. I agree Disney has sanitized them a whole bunch, but that's okay. I'm a Disney-freak. I think my favorite is Snow White, but I'm also fond of Sleeping Beauty. I think I'm most like the Princess and the Pea, however. If my bedding isnpt perfect, I just can't sleep.

OOh, and I totally loved Enchanted. Hubby liked it too!

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann | 2 comments I love Beauty and the Beast best, since I read Robin McKinley's version many years ago...and I think it is a good reminder to me to always look beyond the surface people show, before judging...

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Like Ausjenny, I loved The Snow Queen as a child. After all these years, the only thing I remember is being enchanted by the idea of an ice palace. That's before I grew up and got wimpy about cold weather! When a bit older, I read C.S. Lewis's "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," and it became my favorite. Hmm. I sense a snow theme here.

message 27: by JanetTronstad (new)

Christine -- interesting about the snow theme. Do you live where there's lots of snow?

message 28: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Hi Tanya--my sister Filly at Petticoats & Pistols! Fairy tales on a Kindle . . . That's something I couldn't have imagined when I was looking at my Tasha Tudor book :)

Hello Ann, Beauty and the Beast is the fairy tale that's most influenced my writing. I remember an old, old version with George C. Scott. I wish I could find it...

message 29: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Hi Christine! I like snow . . . but only when I'm inside with a blazing fire! And hot chocolate and marshmallows. It won't be long before your book is out! Love the cover :)

message 30: by NovelReaction (new)

NovelReaction | 16 comments Ann wrote: "I love Beauty and the Beast best, since I read Robin McKinley's version many years ago...and I think it is a good reminder to me to always look beyond the surface people show, before judging..."

Have you read her retelling of it called Rose Daughter, same fairy tale but completely different take on it. I love both and was really impressed when she took on the same fairy tale.

message 31: by NovelReaction (new)

NovelReaction | 16 comments Oh, my favorite is Beauty and the Beast as well. Growing up I loved how it was about the actions and the character of the Beast and not his looks. I was a really geeky looking child so this story made me feel better (thick pink glasses, braces, bad hair, you get the picture). I also love Disney's version because of Belle's love for books, I could totally relate!

message 32: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4947 comments I think it the ice castle in Snow Queen was magical to someone who never saw snow.

I guess they had been cleaned up a bit when I first read them but not sure. The very first movie I ever saw at the cinema was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs when I was 12.

I remember ones like the 3 billy goats gruff, the 3 little pigs, (whats this about 3 like Goldie locks and the 3 bears)

Then I got into Enid Bylton, and she had several books that have I would say they were fairy tales. She had several with shorts stories. (I loved Enid Bylton).

message 33: by Jadi Cedonia (new)

Jadi Cedonia (jcverdin) My favorite is "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Andersen and most of his, i.e.: "The Traveling Companion" (second favorite). It's such an odd tale, but I love it. Inchelina's another good one, The Sweethearts, The Ugly Duckling....I could go on and on...

message 34: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Hello All, Dorothy and I will be doing the drawing for the book giveaway first thing tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see who the lucky winners are!

message 35: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Some of you posted your fairy tales on the invitation announcement, so I'm announcing the three winners in both places. Drum roll.... the winners are:

1. JOY
2. NOVELREACTION
3. Kaitlin Gillespie

My email is Victoria.Bylin@gmail.com If you send your snail mail address to me, Dorothy and I will mail out the books. Thanks for participating!

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 11 comments Congrats winners.
Carol L.

message 37: by JanetTronstad (new)

Big congratulations to the winners!

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Oh darn! I'm too late :( I didn't get an invite and just checked in here. Oh well, next time! :) It was still a fun topic! :)

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments CONGRATULATIONS to Joy, Novelreaction, and Katlin! The book sounds wonderful! Enjoy! :)

message 40: by Joy (new)

Joy yay! Congrats NovelReaction and Kaitlin! :D

I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. :)

message 41: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4947 comments congrtats to all winners.

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments congrats

message 43: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Yes, Jennifer. I don't believe in coincidence. I believe in "God-incidence."

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Victoria wrote: "Hi Christine! I like snow . . . but only when I'm inside with a blazing fire!"

Me too! And I do live where there's plenty of snow. It's both beautiful and terrible, two qualities evoked in both The Snow Queen and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Congratulations to the winners!

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Christine wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Hi Christine! I like snow . . . but only when I'm inside with a blazing fire!"

Me too! And I do live where there's plenty of snow. It's both beautiful and terrible, two qualit..."

Snow? Oh, is it that cold, white fluffy stuff we hardly get here in Texas? lol...but, I do agree with you. It does evoke the beautiful and terrible that is so vividly pictured in those two stories.

message 47: by JanetTronstad (new)

This comment has me thinking about weather as a character in novels -- you know some novels where there are snow storms and the weather is actually the villan (almost) in the story.