What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Mystery/Suspense Younger Children's Book; young boy looks out his window at night and sees a figure jump a fence far off in the field next to his home

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dakota (new)

Dakota | 4 comments I read this book back in grade school, but I believe it might actually be a young adult/adult book. It's not a horror book but it definitely scared me when I was little.

I remember a white cover, hardback. When I think back on the book, key words that go through my head are snow, shadow, figure, shape... the idea was a young boy looks out his window at night and sees a figure jump a fence far off in the field next to his home. It's a cold, snowy night and we read the description of this figure getting closer and closer to the house. The boy is terrified. All I remember is that eventually the father I believe ends up killing the figure (I believe it turns out to be a bear) with a shotgun in the front driveway. For some reason I remember the bear being hurt and the kid baiting it closer to the house with food. I'm pretty sure that's the general gist of the story -- I hope that somebody can help me out.

Thanks alot.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Dakota--when did you read this? And was it old or new then?

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashinscribbleland) | 64 comments 'The Book of Lost Things' might be too new, but VERY similar.

Also, 'The High House' but no bear it was a police man of sorts.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashinscribbleland) | 64 comments The High House by James Stoddard (sorry!)

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) ok, I've sent a PM to Dakota

message 7: by Dakota (new)

Dakota | 4 comments Cheryl,

First of all I want to thank you for the PM! It sounds silly, but for the life of me I could not figure out the website I used to make this post way back in 2010! I thought this was a lost cause a long time ago. I received an email notification of your PM which brought me here and to find this post again has made my day! So thank you.

Unfortunately, neither book suggested is correct. It was a very simple story, I outlandish fantasy lands or anything. I just remember a boy looking out his window and witnessing a shadowy figure hopping a fence surrounding the nearby snowy field around their home. He watched as the figure slowly got closer to the home. From there it's a blur until the bear (I presume, can't remember exactly) was shot and killed in the driveway. I just want to figure out the book again because it had an odd impact on me when I first read it (in the mid 90's-early 2000's) and I'd like to give it another go.

I believe the cover was also a subdued, artistically warped "view" of the field with a dark figure hopping the fence. It wasn't explicit. Sort of a dreamlike, hard to distinguish artwork.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Dakota, are you still looking for this book?

message 9: by Dakota (new)

Dakota | 4 comments Yes I am!

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Dakota, you mentioned this being a mystery. Was the shadowy figure the mystery? Was it set in contemporary time?

message 11: by Dakota (new)

Dakota | 4 comments I believe it was contemporary, yes. The story from my recollection was based around a boy in an upstairs room watching this shadow figure jump a fence surrounding the field around their home. It slowly crept closer until it was revealed to be a bear in their driveway. That is as much as I can distinctly remember. Mystery seems to be the most accurate description. Thanks!

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Dakota--if you bump the thread up every month or two you'll have a better chance at getting it found.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) bump for summer - come back in a couple of months to give it another one, ok?

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking?"

No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.