School Librarians & Teachers discussion

Help Please!!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (roniewritinwater) | 1 comments Hi, I just joined today mainly because I've been thinking about a book I read when I was in the 5th grade, and I have no idea what it is called. It is driving me crazy! So if any librarians can help me identify this book (or even teachers who assigned it) it would really help. Thanks!
**oh I am now 19, so it could be an old book.

What I can remember:
-It is set around the pioneer times.
-There's a family that lives in a cabin. Just parents with a son and daughter. (the daughter is the eldest)
-The parents leave one day, and the brother and sister are left to take care of each other for awhile. (their ages probably range from 13-18)
-The sister gets taken by native americans while bathing in a nearby pond.
-The brother is left alone and decides to look for her. He leaves a note for his parents.
-He finds the camp, and the tribe takes him in as a prisoner. He also realizes his sister had become pregnant. (he had been searching for awhile)
-He becomes friends with one of the native girls, and she says she will help him get his sister back.
-The cheif or strongest man in the tribe decides to put the boy to a test, and if he were to win, he would get his sister back. If he lost, they would kill his sister.
-The test was to race arcoss a canyon or something of that matter before a certain time. (i.e. when the sun hits a particular rock) If he did not make it in time, his sister would have to jump off a cliff of one of the canyons.

**this is where it gets really hazy**
-Okay, towards the end of the test the boy almost makes it to the winning line, but he didn't make it in time. Or maybe he did? For some reason he is fighting his oponent with knives, and it gets dramatic because they are at an edge of a cliff. But somehow he lost and they made his sister jump off the cliff.
-the boy leaves, without his sister, back home to his waiting parents.
-but around winter, they get a visitor, and it's his sister. It turns out that the native girl he became friends with, sacraficed herself in order to help send his sister back.

**side note: it is extremely hot during the challenge through the canyon. I remember it being described that way.

So that is all I can remember from the story. I also do recall seeing a film based off of it, if that helps. But, please, any help will make my mind feel much less stressed!
Thank you so much!

-Ronie

message 2: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Reardon (nicholasreardon) Hi Folks

I have just added a book trailer to my book Love of Chocolate could you take a look at it and let me know what you think of the video clip

You can find it on the book page or a direct link is http://www.goodreads.com/videos/show/...

Part 2

Ho yes also have a book trailer on A Girls Guide to Guys: Meeting Them, Managing Them and All That Love Stuff

Again any useful comments are welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrAQEg...