The Wagon discussion

A suggestion for future RALs

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 11 comments I stopped by B&N today, to check on The Help, as it appears it will still be the winner of the poll.

I didn't realize until today that this book is only available in hardcover and is a fairly new release. I will check with my library, but there's a chance I won't be able to get it for the RAL.

My suggestion for future RALs would be to select from books already available in paperback. This makes them more readily available & affordable for purchase and could lead to greater availability at libraries.

Just FYI...The Help will be out in paperback next January.

I'm also going to check a couple secondhand bookstores here, to see if they're getting copies yet.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (schokti) | 3 comments I like this suggestion, I'm in the same boat. As well, would it be possible to have a brief description of the books we are voting on? I found myself lost with just the titles. Or did I miss that thread somewhere?

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
I totally agree. I know we discussed this issue last time and decided to only include books in the poll that were available in paperback or readily available from the library. We actually have a separate bookshelf for books that we want to read but are "waiting for the paperback." I didn't realize The Help was hardcover (or Kindle) only.

What does everyone want to do about this? If the majority of members will not be able to read "The Help" if it wins, then what's the point of a Read-Along?

Also, in the future, when we have the "Suggest Our Next Book" thread, it would be helpful to include a brief description of any book you suggest. I'll be sure to put a reminder on the top of that thread next time.

The group is still new, and we're still ironing out the bugs. We'll get it right eventually! Just keep making suggestions and sharing your thoughts. Communication is key! : )

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 11 comments If you use the Search box on Good Reads, you can enter the title and then click the provided search results link for a synopsis.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (schokti) | 3 comments Katrina wrote: "If you use the Search box on Good Reads, you can enter the title and then click the provided search results link for a synopsis."

Aha! Thank you! I am fairly new to Goodreads so I had no idea that could be done.

message 6: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 11 comments You're most welcome! :-)

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Christine wrote: "As well, would it be possible to have a brief description of the books we are voting on? I found myself lost with just the titles."

The creator of the poll can put book links and covers in the poll itself. I've found that to be immensely helpful in other groups I'm in. If it can be done here as well, that would make finding out about each book very easy.