Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > outa curiousity...what does paranormal mean?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

PurpleObsessor_15 (hunnybunn13) | 7 comments i know what romance is...but is paranrmal like NOT normal or sumthin?

message 2: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Paranormal, to me, would be stories that deal around the supernatural. By supernatural, I mean vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches, shapeshifters, time travel, magic and the like. And here's a link to the wiki page..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranorm...

message 3: by Celeste (new)

Celeste | 12 comments Here is Answers.com's answer to what paranormal is... it can explain it better than I can!!

Paranormal phenomena are those supposedly due to powers of the mind that go beyond the normal, such as extra-sensory perception, or perception by means independent of the normal use of the senses, telepathy, psychokinesis, precognition or powers of prophecy, and survival of bodily death. Paranormal psychology, also known as psychical research, is the attempt to establish these phenomena scientifically, and then to theorize about their nature.

message 4: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
[ModHat] Please use the folder system when you're making a new topic. I've moved this one into the Paranormal Romance folder. [/ModHat]

In terms of paranormal fiction/romance, Ranata's got it right. :) Paranormals usually deal with "magical" beings, creatures, and abilities in a "real world" or urban setting. :)

message 5: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments Um, okay, if we must get technical... *snicker*!

Paranormal: Definition: impossible to explain scientifically: unable to be explained or understood in terms of scientific knowledge

Supernatural: Definition:

1. not of natural world: relating to or attributed to phenomena that cannot be explained by natural laws

2. relating to deity: relating to or attributed to a deity

3. magical: relating to or attributed to magic or the occult

So, I guess maybe, technically, the novels we love with weres, vampires, and magic of any kind should be placed under Supernatural. And I'm squirming in my seat - why do I, all of a sudden, feel like the bearer of bad news?

message 6: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Don't feel the bearer of bad news. I think that the fact that science cannot possibly explain vamps or weres can make them paranormal as well as supernatural. :)

message 7: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments True! At the time, I didn't really think of that. And I wonder if they'll ever be able to prove that all of it is strickly myth or if there really is some truth to the legends...