Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Urban Fantasy....with romance!

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments I read the first Kate Daniels book- no sex in the first one.
there is a little bit in the Cassandra Palmer books

I'm more urban fantasy than I am PNR but I like my UF to have some action

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 09, 2010 05:25PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've only read the first book in Kate Daniels as well. I had a hard time getting into it, but most people say that the series really starts to shine as you read more of the books, so I'll keep trying.

Kate Daniels book 1 did remind me a bit of Mercy Thompson book 1, so this series might be a good one for you. Since you read another Ilona Andrews (On the Edge), I'm guessing that if you like the writing style you'll like Kate Daniels.

Also, since you liked Mercy, you might want to check out Briggs' other series, the Alpha and Omega one. I've only read Mercy, so I can't recommend it, but the author did write another UF that's out there.

Sheila wrote: "And of course, can you recommend any that meet this criteria? I love a great story line, but the romance-ish side story is awesome! ..."

Since I enjoyed reading some Night Huntress, Chicagoland Vamps, etc. we might like a few similar type series. Here's a couple I'd recommend :

The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning has a great backstory with 2 really hot guys in it. The first few books have more sexual tension than actual hooking up, but once the heroine gets some in book 4, it gets pretty hot.
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning

Rachel Vincent's shifter series has a great love triangle with another couple of hot guys, but plenty of action/story as well. There is romance/hooking up from pretty much book 1 on, so it's a little bit of PNR buried in a UF.

I like seeing through the heroine's eyes when she's in cat form. Many say that they don't like the heroine in book 1, but she's very similar to Mac in the Fever series. Both heroines start out shallow and annoying and grow into tough, strong women as the series continues. My guess is that the authors intended for it to be this way.
Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent Pride (Shifters, #3) by Rachel Vincent Prey (Shifters, #4) by Rachel Vincent Shift (Shifters, #5) by Rachel Vincent

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I like the Kate Daniels books Sheila. And there is some romance in them later. No sex, but there is a budding romance.

Yet another UF series, but its definately set in a fantasy (or possibly futuristic world, I haven't quite decided which) is the Swords of Haven: The Adventures of Hawk and Fisher featuring Hawk and Fisher, husband/wife Guards in a very (and I do mean VERY) corrupt city. Read this one first, then read Guards of Haven: The Adventures of Hawk and Fisher. This is the order in which the books were written. Then Simon R. Green went back and wrote Blue Moon Rising as a prequel and then, to finish off the series wrote Beyond the Blue Moon.

I will tell you--that the prequel is NOTHING like the rest of the series. Its an almost fairy tale like book--until the ending. But even so, the Hawk and Fisher books themselves are MUCH darker than it is. Its still a great series.

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) I'd definitely recommend the Kate Daniels series. The couple dances around each other for a long time, but it's worth it. Great series.

Fever series is my favorite ever.

Shifter series is right up there in my top series.

You can't go wrong with those 3.

message 5: by Keri (new)

Keri | 50 comments Sheila - The Kate Daniels series is really great! I stumbled onto them and had all four books finished within a week. The romance builds up but nothing really happens until book 3. The writing is funny, smart and Kate is not annoying! Highly recommend it.

I agree the Fever series is really good. The fourth book ends with a HUGE cliffhanger and the last book isn't due out until January.

The Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid) series by Richelle Mead is really great too! Not sure if this is technically PNR or UF but it feels like both to me. Great love story that has ups and downs throughout the books.

A couple of YA series that are wonderful are Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

message 6: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Cassandra Palmer has a lot of sensuality... like near misses. At some point, she actually has sex, but it's mostly a lot of build-up, will they/won't they... but it's still really, really good (my opinion). And with Cassie, you can't really tell WHICH guy the tension will be with. I mean there's Mircea, Tomas, Louis-Cesare, others... but she's always trying to figure out people's motives, so she tries to stay unattached.

Dorina has a bit more sex, but not an overwhelming amount and a bit of build-up. That's a good story, too.

Demonica's another good one for relationships, if you haven't read that one. Black Dagger Brotherhood, too, if you haven't read those.

message 7: by Jen ~The dreamer~ (last edited Sep 10, 2010 07:18AM) (new)

Jen  ~The dreamer~ | 649 comments Richelle Mead also has the Dark Swan series Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2) by Richelle Mead . I'm pimping these books hardcore lately....very awesome read and great characters with chemestry and steamy love scenes...

message 8: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) Heather--did you forget to mention a certain angry war mage? Blasphemy. ;)

message 9: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Laura Lulu wrote: "Heather--did you forget to mention a certain angry war mage? Blasphemy. ;)"

OMG... I knew I was forgetting someone, and he's one of the most steamy!!! PRITKIN!!!

message 10: by ஐAndreaஐ (last edited Sep 10, 2010 08:40AM) (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Richelle Mead is great!!! All three of her series are great:
YA: Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead The Best YA series I've read so far.
Adult: Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead & Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead

More series firsts I love are:
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews
All are great strong female lead and also have romance. :) I also loved Night Huntress and Chicagoland Vampires too!

message 11: by ஐAndreaஐ (last edited Sep 10, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments There are so many good series out there.

The 4th Cassie Palmer book is: Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) by Karen Chance
Then also connected is the Dorina Basarab series that include character's from the Cassie Palmer series.
Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2) by Karen Chance

message 12: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "There are so many good series out there.

The 4th Cassie Palmer book is: Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) by Karen Chance
Then also connected is the Dorina Basarab series that include character's from the C..."

There's a new Cassie planned for release in June 2011. Another Dorina is planned, out allegedly sometime next year, but I haven't seen a date. In another thread, one of the members (Mel) said 9 total Cassie books are planned, and 5 Dorinas.

message 13: by ஐAndreaஐ (last edited Sep 10, 2010 10:10AM) (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Awesome! I really love both series, I just hate the waiting. . .

message 14: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Kate Daniels does indeed have romance, although it's not written like romance romance, LOL. ;) But enough to suit, trust me. You've read a book from her so you know her style. These also have romance:

Dark Swan (Storm Born)
Guild Hunters (Angels' Blood)
Women of the Otherworld (Bitten)

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Kate Daniels has romance and sex. :) You just need to stick with it. The first book is well written but hard to get through for some people, but I still liked it. By the third book it is a rocking series -- and the sex is passionate.

The Fever series by Moning: Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

Downside Ghosts by Kane Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane

I am not a huge fan -- but the Elemental Assasins (I only read the first) has sex and a tingling of romance: Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep

Mercy Thompson has romance (alot) and some sex -- but it is more referred to, and it doesn't happen until the 5th book. But it is still a great series. :)

If you like romance and sex -- and a strong world what about a strong PNR series? Like Black Dagger Brotherhood or Demonica series? They are both PNR, but have a strong world building (BDB does, I have only read the first in Demonica, but it rocks): Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione

Oh and the Night Huntress series by Frost -- weakest world building in the UF series, but such great dialogue writing, so funny -- and a very good strong romance -- hot stuff: Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

I consider Women of the Otherworld PNR -- just b/c of the HEA, but have only read 2.

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Regina--I loved both of the Elemental Assasins books and have already pre-ordered the third. I am also counting down til Jan. 18 (for anyone who is a non-Fever fan, that's the date the last book is being released) I hated, hated, hated the BDB books. And I agree with you about the Women of the Otherworld being PNR.

message 17: by Shannon (last edited Sep 11, 2010 09:11PM) (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs (Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl,which is a prequel to Cry Wolf)...I like this spin off series almost as much as the original Mercy Thompson series!

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews - Another vote for this series...love Kate & Curran! My second fav UF behind Briggs' Mercy. The first book is the weakest (very good, not great like the other books). Kate's character is better developed as the series goes on.

World of Lupi series by Eileen Wilks - Interesting mix of police/FBI mystery with urban fantasy and a good romance. Great main characters. Most of the books are great, but I thought books 2 & 4 were the weakest (just good).

Guild Hunters by Nalini Singh - I love this new series. It reminds me in style to a cross between the Night Huntress books by Frost and Black Dagger Brotherhood by Ward. Frost since it follows an interesting, kick a$$ hero/heroine throughout the course of the books and the heroine is reluctant at first for the relationship. And BDB because of the darker, grittier feel and Raphael is such a hot, tough bad a$$.

Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop - Excellent dark fantasy series with a little romance. I couldn't put these books down.

Sookie Sackhouse by Charlaine Harris - Good quirky humor with lots of action, suspense, mystery and a little romance

Cassandra Palmer series and Dorina Basarab Dhampir series by Karen Chance - Very good UF with lots of action and suspense and a little romance (Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl, which should be read between Midnight's Daughter and Death's Mistress)

Jane True by Nicole Peeler - Very good start to a humorous new UF series with a lot of action, mystery and suspense and a little romance. I loved the wide range of characters--brownies, selkies, gnomes, alfar, shapeshifters, vampires, and lots more.

Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland - Good start to a new series about a demon summoner who is also a cop. Little bit of romance in the series so far.

Circle series by Linda Robertson - Good new UF series about a witch. She has a werewolf boyfriend (romance develops slowly).

If you also like YA, check out Vampire Academy by Mead, Study series by Snyder and the Mortal Instruments by Clare. Those are all good fantasy or UF style with a little romance.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  G (paranormalhaven) | 81 comments A bunch of great suggestions. I'm glad checked here :-)

message 19: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (lush26) | 18 comments I need a new book series please help!!

Twitter - lush26
lushbookreviews.wordpress.com

message 20: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rafahta) | 60 comments ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "Richelle Mead is great!!! All three of her series are great:
YA:Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead The Best YA series I've read so far.
Adult: Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead & [bookcover:St..."

Andrea, all of your favourite series are also on my top favourite! Have you read Element Assassin? I think you'd like it.

Please message me if you have more series you enjoyed!.

message 21: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Hi Rafaela! Awesome! There are so many good series, if you don't get good recomendations, their not easy to find.
No, I haven't, what is Elemental Assassin? Is that the name of the first book?

message 22: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Elemental Assassin is the name of the series. The first 2 are out, and #3 is scheduled for release on the 28th (and yeah, I HAVE pre-ordered it, what can I say--I'm a geek)

They are set in a world where there are elemental mages (basically, they control 1 or more of the 4 elements--earth, air, fire and water--or one of its sub-sets--ice for water, gemstone cutting for earth etc.) The action all revolves around Gin, the title character (she's an Earth mage who is also one of the best assassins in that world, where she's known as The Spider) A really GOOD set of books Andrea.

message 23: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) Can't forget Kresley Cole!

: )

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 162 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Elemental Assassin is the name of the series. The first 2 are out, and #3 is scheduled for release on the 28th (and yeah, I HAVE pre-ordered it, what can I say--I'm a geek)

They are set in a ..."

Thanks for that one! I rarely see recs on here that I haven't read or aren't already on my TBR. Your descriptions sounded intriguing so I've added it to my TBR too!

:)

message 25: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

What I found really interesting about the Elemental assassin seris was that in addition to the mages, you also had human/paranormal crosses. So someone could be a human/dwarf cross for example (and most of those are Earth masters or Air masters) or human/giant mixes. Most of the magic users have only a minor talent (meaning one of the sub-sets) but the Mages all have a major talent in their element, and many of the Mages also have a minor ability in an allied element. For instance, Gin is primarily an Earth mage--which means that she can control ALL of the Earth skills--metal worker, gem worker, finding minerals etc. But she also has a minor water affiliation. She can make ice lock picks, daggers etc. lol, and what she uses the ability for a lot--cooling off drinks. I LOVED when she describes making ice for a drink of some sort--or cooling off a drink just by willing it.

message 26: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Thanks Ann, I'll have to look into those next :) I love new series.

message 27: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 62 comments I feel like I'm coming to a road-block where I've read everything worth reading. Someone please help!
So far these are the series that I've read.

Fantastic:
Fever
Shifter/Faythe Sanders- 9 MORE DAYS!!!
Georgina Kincaid
Sookie Stackhouse
Vampire Academy
Mortal Instruments
The Host

Good/Worth reading but not fantastic:
Aisling Grey(Very Funny)
Twilight
First 2 Women of the Otherworld
Hush, Hush
Black Daggar Brotherhood
Night Huntress
Dark Swan
Dante Valentine
Mercedes Thompson

Read Some but Couldn't Finish Series--became dull:
Lords of the Underworld
Women of the Otherworld
Kate Daniels
Dorina Basarab
Anita Blake
Undead Series(Undead and Unwed,etc.)
Weather Warden
Riley Jenson Guardian
PSY-changling

So basically I'm more UF than PNR, probably because I despise predictability. If you have any suggestions let me know, and I'm not above reading YA.

message 28: by Regina (last edited Sep 22, 2010 12:19PM) (new)

Regina (reginar) You are alot like me. I prefer UF -- I couldn't stand LOTU. As to Kate Daniels -- have you read #3 or #4? Those are the two best in the series.

For excellent UF that blew me away (akin to how I felt about the Fever series) try the Downside Ghosts:

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane

Three more are to be written in this series.

I also highly recommend the Hunger Games:

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

For good PNR (I have only read #1, but liked it) -- what about the Demonica series? Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione

And have you read the Highlander series by Moning? IT is definitely PNR not UF -- but it ties in to the FEver world. If you haven't read it, I recommend starting with 4 -- and then reading through 7. If you like them, then read 1, 2 and 3.

Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4) by Karen Marie Moning The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5) by Karen Marie Moning The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6) by Karen Marie Moning Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7) by Karen Marie Moning

message 29: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 62 comments Thanks Regina! I've read and loved the Hunger Games, but I don't know why they keep popping up here. They are really science fiction. One day I'm going to get over my depression after the last book. Anyway, I'm going to check into the Downside Ghosts series. Thanks

message 30: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I actually consider them dystopian, I recommended them b/c you were looking for a new series. Hope you enjoy Downside Ghosts.

message 31: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie714) | 126 comments Well have to recommend the Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward, the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton... definitely recommend the Downside series by Stacia Kane... there is also the series by Archangel Kiss series... Sookie Stackhouse is great fun...

hunger games and vampire acadamy is good for a YA series...

currently reading the Demonica series by Larissa Ione... really good so far! :)

message 32: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 62 comments Kylie wrote: "I feel like I'm coming to a road-block where I've read everything worth reading. Someone please help!

Fantastic:
Fever
Shifter/Faythe Sanders- 9 MO..."

UPDATE* Okay, I finished the Kate Daniels series and I'm moving her up into the "Good/Worth Reading" catagory, but also I've read all the Cassie Palmer's that are out and I'm placing those under the "Amazing/Fantastic" catagory. Now that I've read them I'm going to read Death's Mistress, which I set aside after Midnight's Daughter....and maybe we'll see me move the Dory books up.

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 18 comments Some great recs here. Has anyone mentioned Carrie Vaughn's Kitty books?Kitty and the Midnight Hour. I think each one has gotten better (which is nice because some series get tired after a while). You might also like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. Lilith Saintcrow also does several good series. And if you do e The First Book of Dreams: Metropolis

message 34: by Missyb (last edited Dec 16, 2010 05:50PM) (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Sheila wrote: "I've just started reading what I would consider UF, mostly I've been a PNR fan, but I totally loved books like Chicagoland Vamps, Night Huntress, Mercy Thompson and most recently I read the first b..."

Try Lynsay Sands Argeneau series. Plenty of romance, action, sex, adventure, and lots of humor. I read Chicagoland, Night Huntress, & the Mercedes Thomson series and like them all.

message 35: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Kylie wrote: "I feel like I'm coming to a road-block where I've read everything worth reading. Someone please help!

Fantastic:
Fever
Shifter/Faythe Sanders- 9 MO..."

You missed the worst book in that series, Undead & Unfinished. It was so confusing and hard to follow, I liked the series for the most part, other then that last book.