The Sword and Laser discussion

Audiobook Moments

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian | 67 comments I was listening to Wizard’s First Rule when I was doing a 10 kilometer run. Normally when I am running and listening to an audiobook I lose myself in the story and that distracts me from the pains of running. This time was different. I was at the part in the story when Richard was captured and tortured by Denna. Since my body hurt and my breathing was labored from running, I could feel the pain of his torture. I ran faster and harder than I would normally ran. In some weird way I was living out his torture while listening to it. It was a new level of "lost in listening". That has never happened to me with a paperback book.

message 2: by Micah (last edited Sep 09, 2010 08:54PM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I have been there too. I listened to 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea awhile back. At the moment where they discover Atlantis, I could swear I was actually there. I could see every detail, every sparkle of gold, every fish swimming around. It was an amazing moment. I think that is the strength of Audio books. When read correctly and with conviction the story can literally spirit me away to a place and time of the authors choosing.

Paperback books can accomplish the same thing but in a different way. There is something about storytelling with the spoken word that is quite unique.