Flowery Friends discussion

The Temptation of the Night Jasmine--Discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments Dawn and I just discovered we are both reading this fifth installment of the series right now, so I decided to start a thread to discuss it. So, if you have read The Temptation of the Night Jasmine or will be reading it, come talk about it here!

message 2: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 24 comments I'd say I'm about halfway through it, so depending on where you are, I don't want to say too much until I know, so that I don't give anything away before I start asking questions or making observations - let me know

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments I would say I'm just over half way through it, so comment away, Dawn! :)

I really love seeing Eloise and Colin starting a cozy relationship in the beginning here, and I really like the fact that Lauren changed this plot up a bit from her other romances--instead of a couple feeling attraction and then waiting awhile through espionage obstacles to act on it, Charlotte and Robert kiss pretty early on and then the problems creep up.

message 4: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 24 comments I hate to say it, but this installment is the one I least like so far. I don't like the fact that Jane (The Pink Carnation) isn't even involved. Most of the other main characters aren't really involved, other than Henrietta & Miles, as minor ones. I am intrigued by the fact that it's sounding like Colin may even be a spy, that's getting my attention for sure!

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments Yes, I do miss Jane, but I think that she can't personally handle EVERY bit of intrigue that comes up--that's why she's enlisted capable people like Henrietta and Miles--to help out.

I am really liking the interaction between Charlotte and Robert. There's a lot of his own insecurities standing in the way. I think this fits right in with the other books in the series. And Eloise is letting her imagination run away with her there, I think. I'll have to finish it to see what happens and how I feel about the book as a whole.

message 6: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 24 comments I've finished it, so I won't give anymore away. I'd like to see more of some of Jane's helpers, like Miss Gwen Meadows - she's a riot!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments MzDivaDawn wrote: "I've finished it, so I won't give anymore away. I'd like to see more of some of Jane's helpers, like Miss Gwen Meadows - she's a riot!"

Yes, Miss Gwen is a HOOT!! XD

I just finished it last night and I have to say, I enjoyed it just as much as the other novels. Though Jane will have to wait for another book, I loved Robert and Charlotte--I think Lauren is so inventive for coming up with ways to make her couples distinct entities, especially in the ways they are kept from declaring their love until the end. And the ways she keeps Eloise and Colin moving forward.

I'm not sure about Jane in Blood Lily but I still can't wait to read it, and I'm sure that Mishcief of the Mistletoe or The Orchid Affair will bring her back. Or at least give some mention of her activities. Overall, I still love this series!

message 8: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 24 comments So you were right - Eloise did let her mind get away with her on what Colin was up to! However, her suspicions certainly had me going right along with her! I do still enjoy this series, I just look forward to keeping some of the other main characters still within the fold

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments I keep wondering how much of Eloise and Colin we're going to get as the series goes on. Eloise HAS to publish her findings at some point! I hope Lauren has great stuff in store for them, though. I hope and believe that we haven't seen the last of Jane, and perhaps a book with her as the main character with a romance of her own will be the one to end the series. But not too soon! I think Lauren is perfectly capable of creating tons of these historical romances for years to come, and I will read every one!

message 10: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 24 comments You know, that's an EXCELLENT thought, I didn't even think of that! Great idea, Rachel - about Jane having her own romance - that could open up the series to an entirely new dynamic as well! Find a man who could help her on her missions, etc! WOW! I hope Lauren is reading this post!!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments I immediately thought Jane's own book would be a good idea after reading Pink Carnation and finding out she WAS the Pink Carnation! But I don't think Lauren will do that too soon, if she does. Jane's got a lot of spying to do! But your idea is also cool--a husband/wife spy team! We've really only seen Miles and Henrietta actively pursue missions together since they got married, and not as the lead characters. That would be whole series in itself! I would read that in a heartbeat!

As for Night Jasmine, I wish you had liked it more. I just think Charlotte and Robert are really sweet together, allowing personal insecurities to hinder them until the end. I also think Robert could be quite a capable addition to the League of the Purple Gentian, if he wanted to. (Though I have to admit, Robert and Charlotte seem like a quieter couple than the others, so maybe he wouldn't want to.) Plus, I like unicorns! :)

message 12: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 24 comments That's true - I thought Robert would somehow find a way to hook up with Jane to take on the whole spy network, once he discovered the French spy link. I didn't think he'd get in touch with Miles, hadn't occurred to me. He would be a good addition to the Purple Gentian team. I think Amy & Richard should come out of retirement! There are so many possibilities.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 35 comments OH MY GOD!! Guess what, Dawn?

I HAVE A COPY OF The Mischief of the Mistletoe!!!

I went to my local Half-Price Books to spend a little of my birthday money, and someone had gotten an advance copy and sold it there! I snatched it up! I couldn't believe it! XD I'm going to start reading it today! I think I'll start another discussion thread for those of us who want to discuss it now that it's being released later this month!

message 14: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 24 comments Wow how lucky was that???!! It was kismet!!

message 15: by Diandra (new)

Diandra | 5 comments I think someone in a previous post said this, but I have to agree the Temptation has to be my least favorite (I've read them all so far, and out of 5 stars, I'd give this one 3.5).

Okay so I love the personalities of Robert and Charlotte and I love that Lauren goes into such depth behind their insecurities and makes them seem as real as normal people as she possibly can...

But I guess the kind of irksome thing was..did the idea that the hero-heroine were distant cousins freak anyone else out? lol

message 16: by Yannie (new)

Yannie (jdough1155) | 18 comments This book was my least favorite too.

message 17: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Guy | 5 comments @ Diandra

The cousin thing didn't freak me out. One because even with concerns of inbreeding, they were two far apart for it to really be a genetic issue. Two, because it was not uncommon in that time - a man who was a cousin could be addressed by his first name and they were free to spend unchaperoned time together.

I wouldn't say that this was my least favorite book - that would go the Emerald Ring - but I do think it took me a while to see how these two were going to work with their different worldviews.