Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > How do you feel about unisex names?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9730 comments Mod
We were watching Warehouse 13, and there is a woman on the show named Micah. I can't get down with that because Micah is a male name to me.

I know there are some names that go either way. Do you like unisex names?

message 2: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 151 comments There used to be a stripper that live down our street named Micah and so to me it will always be a stripper name.lol As for in books and movies unisex names don't really bother me if they are given to a female but if it's a male character it really bothers me. I'm talking about names like Kerry and Jan and so on.

message 3: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments In general, when I hear Dana, I always think of girl. But there are a whole lot of guys name Dana out there.

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
I know names like Kim, Laurie, Cary, Leslie and Ashley were all names that used to be male names. I have a problem with a male usng one of these type names but I know I shouldn't. I'm not as bothered by a male name used for a woman but I prefer more feminine sounding names.

message 5: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4132 comments Mod
I like to hear a man have a man name. I've gone to school with a girl, whose brother's name was Dana. I thought that was weird.

In my story the heroine's nickname is Randy. I know that's a man's name. I have never heard of a woman named Randy.

I don't think that a hero or man should have what I look at as men names. Kim, Laurie, Cary, Leslie and Ashley are women names to me.

message 6: by Starr416 (new)

Starr416 | 1 comments Yea, Ashley is a womans name to me..but I did know a a gut by the name of Ashley and he was a total hottie, so it was cool on him.

I do like when girls have what I think to be male names, like Corey (but spelled different for a girl, maybe Cori or something.

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments My boss has a son named Lynn, who was named in honor of a football coach in the 1930's. A friend of my son's had parents whose names were Bev and Jan, they had matching full-length mink coats and matching BMW's. His vanity license plate read "IM JAN" and hers read "IM NOT".

I've known both men and women named Kim, Randy, Dana, Chris, Laurie, Leslie, etc. I don't favor unisex names in general, my children were named after biblical characters except the oldest, who was named to please my great-uncle with a first name that used to be a last name in our family.

message 8: by ~Vixhen~ (new)

~Vixhen~ (vixhen) | 12 comments I have come across a man named, Jennifer. That was completely odd. I don't like it when a man has a woman's name. The other way around is cool, though. I also like when either sex has a last name as a first name (i.e. Jackson or Kennedy).

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9730 comments Mod
I like unisex names like Taylor and Jordan, but there are few that I truly like.

I don't care for naming a man names like Eleanor, Leslie, Ashley, Kim, Dana, etc.

I don't have a problem with Chris or Randy as a nickname for either sex.

No offense to anyone, but I have a pet peeve against using nick names as a real name, such as Katie or Jimmy.

I can't imagine why someone would name a man Jennifer. (shaking head)

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

And then there's the man name Sue. lol

message 12: by ~Vixhen~ (new)

~Vixhen~ (vixhen) | 12 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I can't imagine why someone would name a man Jennifer. (shaking head)"

Isn't that just the craziest thing? Totally had me at a loss for words.

message 13: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments Kerstin wrote: "I don't mind a male name for a woman, but it does bother me if it's the other way around and a guy has a female name."

I totally agree with you. Guys should have masculine names not matter what.

I also like "Mel" and "Nic". They sound cool both ways.

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare Coming from a deeply southern family, we love our weird names. Most of the women in my family have male/unisex name. My daughter's name is Chauncey, momma's name is Willie. We have Bennie,Clyde, Jessie,Frankie and many more too numerous to name ..all women. When you have uncles name June Bug, Duney, Spunk, and Milkhead (permission to laugh) - you don't blink when you here of a man named Jennifer (okay I'm lying...that is a bit much)

Jobwise - It can be crippling though when the names become too far out. Which seems to be widespread in my culture.

Camille, are those nicknames or full names? I understand, because I have strong southern roots myself. In my family, there are some bizarre nicknames, such as Sidewalk, Buthie (not sure of spelling), Big Daddy, Trollie, you name it.

message 16: by Camille-Dhark Nytmhare (last edited Sep 10, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare Lady D, lots of nicknames for the males. Although I am not so sure we know their real names. The females though are real names. Sidewalk huh? Cute 8-)

Like you though I love the new age unisex names, especially ones that were last names like Taylor, Mackenzie,Kennedy, Sydney etc...

I do love Sydney. I think some of the newer unisex names are cute.

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments The only thing that gets me is when someone is telling a story about two people and one of them has a unisex name and I get lost trying to remember which was the guy and which was the girl and who said what. Otherwise, STRONG supporter! :D

So true, Courtney. I've had that issue where I was reading a book where both characters had unisex or could be male names, and I kept forgetting which one was the heroine versus the hero. :)

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare Unisex names in fiction are annoying Courtney. It's enough to keep up with the growing list of characters throughout a novel, let alone keeping the sexes straight. I think a heroes should have manly names like Bruce, Bones, Bicep anything that signifies manliness.

message 21: by Arch (new)

lol Camille, Bicep? :)

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare LOL Arch. Yeah just pick a body part use manly letters and there you have it...Biqto..Nuqles...Buthie

In all seriousness, names are as much of a setting to a story as any other descriptives. You cannot convince me of a tough guy or gal for that matter, who has an effeminate name.

message 23: by L' (last edited Sep 11, 2010 11:16AM) (new)

L' Te | 4 comments Actually, I very much like unisex names when applied to the female. Wish I had one! But, it is true that often-times it can create confusion when you are dealing with a large cast of characters, or for that matter, foreign names. Masculine vs. feminine name attributes are not always the same for other countries (outside US).

I do love names in general though. Of the "normal" names, it is fun and at times gives clarification toward the character, when you find out the meaning & origin behind the name. For example: did you ever notice that in countless books the leader/alpha/hero is named Luc, Lucius, Lucas, Lucian ... it means "the light", or Illumination. Hence ... the leader lights the way. Anyway, I find it interesting.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 203 comments When I was prego's with my 3rd child we were hoping for a boy this time around since we had 2 girls already. I had my name picked out for him cause I just knew it was going to be a boy. Well I was wrong Doc. said another girl for me. I went home crying I thought I wanted a boy so bad.

It was during the Christmas Season and I was doing some shopping and I came across a stocking with names on them. I happen to see the name I picked out for my son, and it just clicked I have to name her Jordyn it feels right.

So in answer to the question yes I love unisex names another reason is before I became a stay at home mom I used to work for Estee Lauder cosmetics. And I had a friend GUY named Stacey I thought that was different but it fit him.

My favorite unisex name is Sydney, although usually the spelling is different for a male (Sidney). I'd like to use that name for a girl.

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare @ L isn't it fascinating to know the meaning of a name

@ Meme Jordyn is a lovely name. I wanted my daughter named Elijah. I lost that fight.

@ Lady D Sydney and Germaine was the other fight I lost in naming my kid.

message 27: by Mollie *scoutrmom* (last edited Sep 11, 2010 04:50PM) (new)

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Camille *njnubian* wrote: "...@ Meme Jordyn is a lovely name. I wanted my daughter named Elijah. I lost that fight.

@ Lady D Sydney and Germaine was the other fight I lost in naming my kid."

Camille, My son is a big Milwaukee Brewers fan, and wanted to name his child Brewer. I said, "but what if it's a boy?" He lost that fight, they chose Asher.

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare LOL Mollie. Maybe the kid would have enjoyed going thru life with the nickname Brewsky or Brewmeister who knows?! LOL. Come to think of that is a great hero name

I think I like Asher better. But, I'm not a big fan of beer or sports. :)

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 203 comments @ Camille I love that name Elijah its one of my favorites. If God wanted me to have another kid and blessed me with a son Justin Elijah would be his name But if It's a girl Justine Elijah could work too. :)

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare Those are beautiful names. I love the melodic flow. Funny that I can picture Justine Elijah as a strong heroines name but Justin Elijah not as much. Your thoughts?

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 203 comments I so agree, the more I say it the more beautiful it sounds.

That would be a strong name, Meme! I love names that endow good qualities to a child.

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie (rosendal) | 36 comments I've always thought that Madison is such a sweet name for a woman, a man not so much!

Madison is a nice name for a girl. Very pretty.

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare Madison is a great name. Would make a strong heroines name too. What about Cheyenne. I think that is also lovely. For some reason I see this name as an earthy, artsy and self sufficient.

message 37: by Julie (new)

Julie (rosendal) | 36 comments I agree with you Camille! Cheyenne is beautiful, very strong - for a woman that is ;)

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare You make a valid point Zosia. I know many novels are distributed world wide and I wonder how much culture plays a role in reviewing a popular novel. I find east and west USA tend to be a little more liberal in acceptance of unisex names. While the mid USA (bible belt) prefers traditional names. Just my observation.

I prefer Sasha, Misha, and Nikita as male names myself. :)

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan | 186 comments Camille *njnubian* wrote: "Madison is a great name. Would make a strong heroines name too. What about Cheyenne. I think that is also lovely. For some reason I see this name as an earthy, artsy and self sufficient."

Cheyenne was the name I chose for my pony when I was a kid. I have always loved that name. And yes, it was a female.

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I prefer Sasha, Misha, and Nikita as male names myself. :)"

I'm not so sure Lady D. Culturally speaking, those are definitely girl names in my community. Unless the author's setting is Russian, I find it difficult to see those names as tough male characters.

message 42: by ~♥*Marianna*♥~ (last edited Sep 14, 2010 10:51AM) (new)

~♥*Marianna*♥~ (marigam) | 4 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I prefer Sasha, Misha, and Nikita as male names myself. :)"

I've never thought of "Nikita" as a unisex name.(especially since I associate it with that TV show about a female assassin)

Is it me or do those three names have a Russian influence.
Although technically Sasha and Misha are nicknames. At least they would be in Russia.
Like my name would be "Masha".

What do you think would be the ULTIMATE unisex name?

For me it is "Sasha" because in my mind it doesn't lean either way. I don't automatically think "female" or "male" when I hear it.

Or here in America, "Sam" is very popular. That is also a very unisex name.

I love my Russian men/characters, so I guess I think of them from the Russian perspective. I certainly don't want to stereotype, but Russian men seem to have a rugged appeal and an intensity that I love.

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I love my Russian men/characters, so I guess I think of them from the Russian perspective. I certainly don't want to stereotype, but Russian men seem to have a rugged appeal and an intensity that ..."

I have not read about russian characters yet. But that is what I love about reading. It expands your world and your way of thinking about other cultures usually in a positive way.

I completely agree, Camille.

message 46: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Zosia, I have a male cousin named Rusty and I have known a few women with a nickname of Rusty, usually because of their hair. Ppl have tried to call my daughter Rusty for that reason.

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 203 comments In the book Gentle Rogue (Malory Family, #3) by Johanna Lindsey the heroines name is Georgina but her hero loves to call her George.. I love it!

message 48: by Arch (new)

Ah, what's the hero's name Meme?

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 203 comments His name is James Mallory they had a daughter named Jacqueline and he called her Jack.. I thought it was hilarious.

message 50: by Arch (new)

The hero sounds sweet.

« previous 1