Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Will the NY Times ever stop printing a newspaper?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Sad to imagine.

message 3: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I doubt it. It's the NY Times! Wait..."ever" is a long time. I change my vote to, "Yes, eventually, someday." They'll all go paperless someday.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I agree, eventually they will all go paperless, and it will become easier for them to do so as more people use ipad/kindle type products.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments When do you think they'll go all paperless?

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I think that it will be 15-20 years, as there are still a number of people that like holding a paper, but as they fade into the horizon they will quit printing on paper.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments :(
And attention spans will get shorter and shorter, and nobody will read more than a paragraph about anything.

message 8: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I agree, at least 15-20 years, maybe a little bit longer. Till guys like my boss, who NEED to hold their paper, are all dead and gone.

message 9: by Félix (last edited Sep 09, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sarah Pi wrote: ":(
And attention spans will get shorter and shorter, and nobody will read more than a paragraph about anything."

Could you condense that message, Sarah? Just give me the gist of it.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments OK, I like that idea.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments BunWat wrote: "I don't know if it will ever happen, but I know what I want to have happen, which is that I will be able to design/select my own newspaper.

I want to be able to decide ahead of time which comic..."

Makes too much sense, this will never happen.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Hope not. I like doing the crossword puzzle on paper, with a pen. I like Bun's idea.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Amelia wrote: "I agree, at least 15-20 years, maybe a little bit longer. Till guys like my boss, who NEED to hold their paper, are all dead and gone."

When this generation of seniors are gone, then the paper world will fall.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Right now, my Nook is having a free 10 day trial of several of the nation's newspapers. I might check out the Denver Post and see how big the difference is between the paper and electronic versions.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24071 comments Mod
I think Pinch sounds serious.

I don't think it will be a good thing when a) NYT goes behind the firewall, and b) they stop printing the paper, and c) all our print news comes to us in aggregator form. At a good newspaper, editors are actually performing a very valuable service. It's getting harder to see at papers like the Washington Post, which have gone so far downhill, but in the halycon days of yore it was true. Smart, skilled editors help us know what's important and show us by placement in the physical paper, and headline size, what's more important and less important. They're not always right, of course, but still I think it is a valuable thing and when it's left up to us most people are just going to read sports, entertainment, maybe a little crime, the usual.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It makes me sad that the world is going all high tech on us. I like technology (my ereader makes me happy), but don't like that someday we won't have the option of doing things the traditional way.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it's going to go...

message 17: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments BunWat wrote: "I don't know if it will ever happen, but I know what I want to have happen, which is that I will be able to design/select my own newspaper.

I want to be able to decide ahead of time which comic..."

i want that newspaper too.

message 18: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments When or if that happens I will get my news entirely from the radio and TV.

I read the newspaper when I eat. I would never risk geting food or drink on a $300 investment.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.