Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Susan Boyle vs. Lou Reed grudge match

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments http://www.tmz.com/2010/09/08/susan-b...

I find this very amusing.

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments So what was she going to sing?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Perfect Day.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Would have been funnier if I had said Walk on the Wild Side, but it is in fact Perfect Day.

I think it would be funny to hear her sing the 'bum bum bum' part in Sattelite of Love too.

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments God I love Lou!

As for Boyle, she already ruined "Daydream Believer." But I'd love to hear her tackle "Sweet Jane."

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments so she pouted and got on a plane back to the UK because she couldn't do another song on short notice? elvis costello used to take request from the audience and try to do whatever they yelled out. so much for spontaneity

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well, in fairness, she may only have had backing tracks or music for one song with her. And she may not have known that was a possibility- you don't need permission to perform a cover. The legality thing has to do with broadcasting it.

Springsteen did some killer covers on the last couple of tours, based on audience request.

Know who else does really good spontaneous covers?
Greg Dulli.

message 8: by Jim (last edited Sep 09, 2010 01:34PM) (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I was thinking the same thing Kevin, she had no other songs in her repertoire that she could pull out and sing? A year ago she was unknown, now she can afford temper tantrums.

ETA - Not a temper tantrum per se but fame seems to have gone to her head.

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7125 comments I love Lou to pieces, but he can be kind of a bitch at times.

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Cynthia wrote: "I love Lou to pieces, but he can be kind of a bitch at times."

Just ask Lester Bangs. Er, scotch that...

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7125 comments Right, Clark.

message 12: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Springsteen did some killer covers on the last couple of tours, based on audience request.
"

At the MSU Auditorium in 1978 ("Darkness on the Edge of Town" tour), he did killer covers of Buddy Holly's "Rave On" and Gary US Bonds' "Quarter to Three."

message 13: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Does Susan Boyle even KNOW what "Perfect Day" is all about?

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments No.
Do any of those American Idol contestants who sing Hallelujah so rapturously know what it's about?
No.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments when i sing September by Earth, Wind & Fire do i know what it's about?

No

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Like that time when Volkswagen used the VU's Heroin or Nick Drake's Pink Moon on their TV ads.

Sure, it might sound like a great soundtrack to an ad, but when the song's about addiction or suicide, you may want to reconsider.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments A car ad with a song about suicide does not seem like a good combination.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was thinking the same thing when GlaxoSmithKline used The Drugs Don't Work to promote their new nasal spray.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I was thinking the same thing when GlaxoSmithKline used The Drugs Don't Work to promote their new nasal spray."

Marketing Genius! Genius?

Or truth in advertising?

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments OK, I actually made that one up.

But how about those cruise ads that use Lust For Life but cut out the line "I've had it in the ear before"

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments that line would be good for a hearing aid company

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Miracle Ear - Take It In The Ear

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Love it.

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24259 comments Mod
I still have no idea what "Hotel California" is about.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It's either about Hell or a really good time.

Cuz we are livin it up at the Hotel California, you know?

message 26: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I still have no idea what "Hotel California" is about."

About four or five minutes of sheer mind-numbing torture.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've seen the Hotel California. I think it's a detox center? Maybe I made that up.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) From Wiki:

"Don Henley and Glenn wrote most of the words. All of us kind of drove into LA at night. Nobody was from California, and if you drive into LA at night... you can just see this glow on the horizon of lights, and the images that start running through your head of Hollywood and all the dreams that you have, and so it was kind of about that... what we started writing the song about. Coming into LA... and from that Life In The Fast Lane came out of it, and Wasted Time and a bunch of other songs."