Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > Dark Tower Movie!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Ludeker (joshlud) | 12 comments Attention Dark Tower Fans! It is official, a team of amazing crew members are about to embark on one of the most difficult tasks known to man (in my eyes, anyway). I present to you, the Dark Tower Movie and TV Series!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/09/0...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movien...

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Yahhoooo! :) This is sooo exciting! I was wondering when a movie was going to be made!

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I'm excited and scared to death at the same time! They better not screw this up!!!!!

message 4: by {erika} (new)

{erika} (sapphire--stars) | 4 comments YAY! Ever since I saw David's painting of the Gunslinger in The Mist film, I've been hoping this would happen. :] I just have to make sure I have read as much of 'em as possible before then...

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I think I feel a re-read coming on......

message 6: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2547 comments Mod
This is very exciting. But I am afraid at the same time!!!

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) With Ron Howard involved i'm very hesitant to celebrate. there's just too many movies he's loused up this last decade or so.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinesey) | 28 comments I was so excited to see word of this! But, I am also worried about the format they are considering (movie/TV/movie/TV/movie or whatever) and that it may push potential viewers away because it seems just a tad tedious to switch back and forth.

I'm going to be super pissed if they screw this up.

message 9: by Felina (new)

Felina I think the movie/TV/movie/TV/movie thing sounds awesome. I wish they did it more often. Typically I am much more excited about my TV shows then about stand alone movies. More depth more plot more character development. Couple that with my love of movie theaters and over priced popcorn and this sounds like a win win. Now I get to go out in support of my fav TV show and watch it with a big-ole group of people who feel the same as me...kindred spirits. I'm in.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Not wanting to sound like the devils advocate I don't see how that's going to work. I would love to have seen a Harry Potter type of thing. 7 movies for 7 books. They could almost put the first 2 The Gunslinger & The Drawing Of The Three in one movie, but that would be it. I don't see how it's going to be done right in the new format. Movie - TV - Movie - TV - Movie - TV. I really hope it works better then what it looks like. Because Christine won't be pissed by herself!

message 11: by Felina (last edited Sep 09, 2010 01:43PM) (new)

Felina But consider how much more amazing the HP movies would have been if the body of the book was a 12 to 24 part TV show and then the ending was the movie.

Granted, if they screw up the script then the format will suck anyways so thats always a fine line to walk.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinesey) | 28 comments I'm totally okay with the TV and then movie format but I guess I'm just not wild about all the switching back and forth.

I will be the first to admit that I'm wrong if it turns out to be AMAZING (and I really do hope it is) but I just can't wrap my head around the idea.

message 13: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Christine, i'm with you. I'll be the second to say "It worked out fine." but i can't seem to make my head get into an agreement with my heart. I think King would make a fine Blaine the Mono.

message 15: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Oh man, I'm almost too scared to be excited about this. I really, really hope that it's extremely well-written and cast... it will be so sad if it turns out not so good...

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments It would be devastating if it's not good! I hope King's keeping a close watch on this one!

message 17: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Looks like there is a release date!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansite...

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments I wish they'd asked him who he'd like to play him...my vote? pull Joe Hill out acting retirement haha.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (slipsplash) I have no way to convey how excited and nervous I am about this. I have high hopes...but also am scared they will "ruin" it. However, I have come up with the philosophy that I no longer compare movies to books, because, well, there is no way "they" are ever going to fit an entire book into one movie. It's just too long.

But I am excited.

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott | 401 comments Apparently they have pinned down two more people after they got Javier Bardem.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lknieriem) | 42 comments I wouldn't take imdb too seriously . . . anyone can edit those pages. There haven't been any "official" announcements other than Bardem.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Oo but that's a good choice for Eddie

message 23: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments Amanda wrote: "With Ron Howard involved i'm very hesitant to celebrate. there's just too many movies he's loused up this last decade or so."

Agreed!

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lknieriem) | 42 comments Btw, the project is delayed. If they don't start the process by 2012 - the rights go back to King.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-...

message 25: by Dustin (new)

Dustin As far as I know, they haven't even made the announcement about Javier Bardem. Not officially, at least. (I'm a very active member of the SKMB, which doesn't report rumors..)

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lknieriem) | 42 comments It's official, but he may not wait if production takes too long to start up.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/javier-...

message 27: by Pam (new)

Pam December (ginger15) | 7 comments "Production on the first film looks likely to start this September with Howard directing.

The first of the TV series will follow and then the franchise will continue inexorably, into the distant future, seen only by whatever alien race conquers us humans.

- Read more: Javier Bardem officially signs on to The Dark Tower | TotalFilm.com"

... alien race! LOL :)

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Nice. LOL

message 29: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Man, I am just too nervous about this... It's just way too awesome for them to mess it up, and I can't help but feel that it's gonna get messed up! I like Javier though... (view spoiler) I think he can do Roland ok for me.

message 30: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments Scott wrote: "Apparently they have pinned down two more people after they got Javier Bardem.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/"

It must have just been a rumour - it appears someone's removed the other two. That's kind of a relief - that dude was too old to be Eddie.

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Good... I like Norman Reedus, but he's NOT Eddie Dean.

message 32: by Felina (new)

Felina Becky wrote: "Good... I like Norman Reedus, but he's NOT Eddie Dean."

Definitely not Eddie.

message 33: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments For those who have not heard, Universal has officially cancelled the planned Dark Tower movies and tv series for budgetary reasons. How come we can get Harry Potter produced but not DT???

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lknieriem) | 42 comments Yes Universal turned it down, but Howard and the other producers are searching for another studio to make the project a reality. Believe me, Universal will be kicking themselves for not taking the deal (just as I'm sure the 20 publishers who turned down the first Harry Potter are right now)

message 36: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Stephen King 'not really surprised' about 'Dark Tower' roadblock -- EXCLUSIVE
by Kristen Baldwin
Categories: EW Exclusive, Stephen King
Comments 80 Add comment.With the news that Universal has canceled its planned film-and-TV adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower book series, the author tells EW.com that he’s still optimistic that director Ron Howard will find a home for Roland the Gunslinger on the big (and/or small) screen. “I’m sorry Universal passed, but not really surprised,” he writes in an email. “As a rule, they’ve been about smaller and less risky pix; maybe they feel it would be better to stick with those fast and furious racing boys. I bear them no ill will, and trust Ron Howard to get Roland and his friends before the camera somewhere else. He’s very committed to the project.”

message 37: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I think they should do it as 7 movies and skip the mish-mash of movie-tv-movie-tv. It's an awkward set-up, and I think it could be done better than that. If Harry Potter can get 8 movies, why can't the Dark Tower? Sad that it's delayed, but maybe it'll be a good thing, maybe they'll find a way to do it better.

message 38: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 42 comments Kit★ wrote: "I think they should do it as 7 movies and skip the mish-mash of movie-tv-movie-tv. It's an awkward set-up, and I think it could be done better than that. If Harry Potter can get 8 movies, why can't..."

Ditto!

message 39: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 1 comments This is great

message 40: by Steve (new)

Steve | 247 comments The problem with 7 or 8 movies is that there is just way too much material to lose in each purported film, in addition to so much of that material being not consistent in tone or cinematic clarity (for example, I think of those digressions with Pere Callahan or Ted Brautigan, and how awkward they would fit in ONE feature-length tale when they could be placed into a self-contained pocket of a TV miniseries episode)

message 41: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments The problem I have with the TV idea is if it's on a cable channel or HBO then I won't be able to watch it. I don't have cable, and can't afford to get cable. If I could, then I'd have gotten it a long time ago so I could watch all the others shows I've been dying to see. If it's on a regular channel like Fox or CBS, it's super-edited and toned down and would lose a lot of it's oomph I think, and end up cheesy or lame. So if it did do the TV thing, I'd much rather it be on HBO or Showtime instead of any other channel, just so that there isn't so much cut out and it could do the story the justice it deserves... But I know I'm not the only one out there that doesn't have and can't get cable, and I can't be the only one that thinks it would be a disaster on regular broadcast TV... No matter how it gets done, some stuff will be left out, that's just the way of movies unfortunately. I just hope that it gets done well, and true to the story, and doesn't end up being something cheesy.

message 42: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Kit★ wrote: "The problem I have with the TV idea is if it's on a cable channel or HBO then I won't be able to watch it. I don't have cable, and can't afford to get cable. If I could, then I'd have gotten it a l..."

I'm with you Kit in regards to the toned down made for ABC movies we have already seen come from SK. A premium channel would have much better story and such. Hopefully Showtime over HBO though since HBO has tied up True Blood for so long you cannot get it without going to the HBO streaming site or buying it. At least Showtime shows up on Netflix fairly quickly. Even the FX channel would be better. I think they do great with Sons of Anarchy, even though it is commercial television.

message 43: by Joey (new)

Joey | 9 comments Have you guys checked out the awesome graphic novel series?

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/...

It is pretty sweet. Its nice to have some kind of visualization of the places mentioned. I bought the first part of the series, I think its 10 books in total (each one a collection of comic books originally published). The stories are pretty original but they conform to what we know from the book series about Roland and his past. I highly reccomend checking it out if you can't get enough Dark Tower.

message 44: by Conrad (new)

Conrad Smith (flagg) Kit★ wrote: "I think they should do it as 7 movies and skip the mish-mash of movie-tv-movie-tv. It's an awkward set-up, and I think it could be done better than that. If Harry Potter can get 8 movies, why can't..."

I would love to see this as well; however, I don't think the Dark Tower series has quite the following as something like Harry Potter, or being noted as a literary classic like Lord of the Rings. Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but that's my perception. That being said, I'm not sure they could draw in the audience for seven movies without the first film being mind blowing.

message 45: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Joe wrote: "Have you guys checked out the awesome graphic novel series?

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/...

It is pretty sweet. Its nice to have some kind of visualization of the pla..."

I have them all on my wishlist. The only ones I've read is the first cycle, The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born. But I desperately want to get all the rest of them! :)

message 46: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
Sounds like desperation.

Tak!

message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I agree with Conrad. As much as Id love to see DT on the big screen, I dont think its got enough of a following.

message 48: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I am soooo excited... looks like HBO picked it up!

http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/10/25...

message 49: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Angie wrote: "I am soooo excited... looks like HBO picked it up!

http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/10/25..."

I can't believe it. Whomever is directing and producing, they had better do a doggone good job. This series is a classic and really shouldn't be touched. Hollywood doesn't know how to make Stephen King movies really come alive. At least in my humble opinion. What I see in my head and what comes across on screen for ANY of his novels, is not nearly the same. IT and The Stand did okay, but I was not creeped out and sleeping with the lights on, like I did with the books. Soooo, we shall see... :/

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lknieriem) | 42 comments HBO and TBD movie company

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/10/25/...

Looks like I'll have to get HBO again . . . and did anyone see that Ben Affleck is now directing The Stand?!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.