Dark Tower discussion

The Dark Tower Movies and TV Series

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doug (new)

Doug (Spaceclownstudios) | 16 comments Mod
Oh man....I just don't know about this at all. This could be very, very bad. Ron Howard scored the rights to the story, and will be developing three films and a television series to tell the whole story.

Links go to breaking news with more detail.

Ka Ka

Oh Discordia!

message 2: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (ashling51) | 6 comments 3 films? WTF, they better be long. As for the television series, why a series if you are making a film. Oh Discordia!

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) They better not butcher the books!!!

message 4: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (ashling51) | 6 comments I have a feeling the books will be completely butchered. I just don't see any good coming out of this.

message 5: by Josh (new)

Josh Kirschenbaum (vfxjokir) | 1 comments I was much more happy about a DT movie when JJ Abrams had the rights. And he bought them for $19!!!

We've all seen how Ron Howard can mess up books (Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons - which seemed to be slam dunks for movies when I read them - and both films were...ehh...not so much.)

I hope he doesn't screw this up.

Although I do like the idea of doing feature films split by miniseries.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) I just saw on the Stephen King website the first movie is slated to come out in 2013.

message 7: by Doug (new)

More information on the planned series and some talk about casting.

Cliky

I'm still dubious, but I'm warming to the idea of Viggo as Roland. A little. I reserve the right to remain opposed to the idea even though I like him as an actor.

I still think Frank Darabont and Robin Furth should be doing the scripts. Howard can direct, but Furth knows her Dark Tower and nobody gets King's writing translated to screenplay better than Darabont.

I suppose we'll see. The hype is building and Universal is going to be pressured to greenlight the project soon if they want to make the 2013 deadline.

At the risk of genre mashing, I'll just say I have a bad feeling about this.

message 8: by ѦѺ™ (last edited Jan 20, 2011 05:02AM) (new)

ѦѺ™ (aobibliophile) | 1 comments i hope they get things right or we have a catastrophe on our hands! long days and pleasant nights to all! c",)

message 9: by Doug (new)

It looks like Ron Howard is making a push for a lead in the Dark Tower project. I know the guy can act, and now he's got a nice fat Academy nomination, but I don;t think he's right for this part, personally.

Follow the link for details.

We deal in lead, Friend-O

message 10: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 97 comments Mod
Hugh Jackman would be a better Roland than Javier Bardem.

message 11: by Doug (new)

Dan wrote: "Hugh Jackman would be a better Roland than Javier Bardem."

I've been hesitant to throw in on one side or another about the casting of this monstrosity. Bardem is a good actor. Mortensen is a good actor, and between the two I'd give a slight edge to Mortensen, though I cannot fault the guy for passing on a project that will take another two or three years to complete.

I think both could portray the arc of Roland. I don't think either of them are physically "the guy" but concessions have to be made, and that is as likely a place as you'll get. Leading men just aren't built like Clint Eastwood anymore, and Roland is based almost exactly on Clint circa 1965.

The casting of something like this is just too mind-bogglingly complicated. The four guns in the picture, the gunslingers, need a massive amount of chemistry between the actors to make the whole thing work. Casting a Roland is a place to begin, but (assuming Bardem accepts) he'll have to read with each prospective addition, and as the Tet fills, I think they should all be part of the audition process.

I'm dubious about Jackman in the lead. Even when he's doing serious drama or action, there is a playfulness in his acting. A youthful, vibrant kind of energy, and it would not fit well with the cold, calculating and emotionless Roland.

In my mind, there is no "name" in Hollywood that stands out as a definite choice. (other than Eastwood from forty years ago)

Once the part is cast, I'll be interested in whether Ron Howard speaks about other hopefuls he was looking at.

message 12: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Agreed that Eastwood ca. 1960's would be the ideal choice for Roland. I was thinking Jackman in Austrailia when I brought him up. He had the weathered look the part needs.

You're right about the chemistry in the ka-tet. That's going to be the trickiest part of the casting.

Books-treasureortrash (bookstreasureortrash) | 16 comments The actor they have picked to be Roland looks perfect to me. Javier Bardem

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000849/

This is so exciting, how can last until 2013 ?!?

message 14: by Doug (new)

Books-treasureortrash wrote: "The actor they have picked to be Roland looks perfect to me. Javier Bardem

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000849/

This is so exciting, how can last until 2013 ?!?"

Not to totally let the wind out of your sails, but Bardem has been approached by the production. As far as has been reported, he has only been offered the role. Given the amount of time likely to be involved in the production, it will be a tough decision for him.

So, he's not cast yet, but you may safely cross your fingers.

message 15: by Doug (new)

New info courtesy of Ain't It Cool News. Nothing shocking, but a game element is mentioned, as well as a possible release date.

Clicky

message 16: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) A game?!?! What WON'T they do to a book? It's all about the money nowadays, I guess...

message 17: by Doug (new)

Well, I would hardly call this news, but it seems that Bardem is interested, though still has yet to say anything official.

locked in psychologically?

Basically Brian Grazer, a producer was quoted as saying Bardem was "locked in psychologically" and they are still pursuing him, but nothing has happened yet.

I kind of hate this ambush type questioning that is going on in the media. An actor, director, producer is out and an event for project A, bet people run up and start asking questions about project B and C. When they know something, they say so. When it's confirmed they announce it. All this nickel and dime stuff just makes the wait longer, and fuel endless speculation. Bugs me.

Also...Bardem is a good actor, correction - a great actor - but he doesn't have Roland's physicality. He's too big. It's a nit pick, but I think it's a valid one.

Okay I'm done. For now. Enjoy the news, such as it is.

message 18: by Doug (new)

Well it looks like the deal is being hammered out. Bardem is very likely going to be Roland in the films and television series. According to the article, which can be found here, they are just putting the finishing touches on the deal and Howard is beginning the casting process around Bardem.

At leas they seem to be doing that right. As I've said before, if the four principles don't click...this will be nightmarish. I wonder who Howard has in mind for Eddie, Susannah and Jake. I also wonder how they are going to keep Jake looking young for the no doubt five or six years it's going to take to film all of this crap.

::sigh:: I hope this turns out better than I'm thinking it will.

message 19: by Jonathan, Shameslinger (new)

Jonathan Cullen (cullister) | 10 comments Mod
I would have voted for Viggo or even a propped up Clint.

message 20: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

I read on IMDB this morning that Javier has officially signed. All the more reason to start reading The Waste Lands on May 1st!

message 21: by Doug (new)

Well I suppose it was somewhat inevitable that at some point the studio was going to step back and ask "Wait, this is going to cost how much?"

Three films, two television series, A-list talent...all bound to cost a premuim. Or could this article just be a publicity thing. Announce the threat to the project then judge the response from the internet.

How Many Zeroes?!

I suppose we'll just have to see if the Wheel will bring those accountant back in line to get this thing made.

message 22: by Doug (new)

Apparently, things are worse than some "mild concerns." Universal executives have told the staff workers to stop preproduction activity, and the start date for production has been scrapped.

Details

There is also mention of Universal dumping Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness over budget concerns, which I was (and remain) extremely pissed off about when I heard the news a while ago. Seems like studios just don't want to make smart, adult oriented films anymore.

I understand it's a risk for a studio to invest a large amount of money in a project that could fail to deliver a return. New Line would have looked like incredible tools of The Lord of the Rings would have tanked, but it didn't and they came off smelling like...well...like a rose.

So, I raise a glass to the businessmen and bean-counters at Universal, and whatever parent corporation owns them. I raise a second glass to the mentally atrophied general movie-going audience, who have allowed the studios to sell drivel to the lowest common denominator for so long that it has become the default position of that industry.

Thanks for coming together in this perfect storm to keep these beloved books safe from exploitation for a little while longer.

message 23: by Doug (new)

So we have what passes for an explanation for the delay, and the one word answer is "money."

However Ron Howard also admits that Bardem isn't actually on board yet, but is "very interested."

Original story here.

You know I'm "very interested" in making a Doug Sandwich with Olivia Wilde and Brooklyn Decker, but I don't think I ever will.

message 24: by Kemper (new)

Kemper | 33 comments Sounds like this is pretty much dead now.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/07/18...

message 25: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

Kemper wrote: "Sounds like this is pretty much dead now.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/07/18..."

It's probably for the best. I don't think it could ever live up to expectations.

message 26: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) I agree. I wish people in the movie biz would realize not all books need to be made into a movie.

message 27: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 11 comments Stephen King 'not really surprised' about 'Dark Tower' roadblock -- EXCLUSIVE
by Kristen Baldwin
Categories: EW Exclusive, Stephen King
Comments 80 Add comment.With the news that Universal has canceled its planned film-and-TV adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower book series, the author tells EW.com that he’s still optimistic that director Ron Howard will find a home for Roland the Gunslinger on the big (and/or small) screen. “I’m sorry Universal passed, but not really surprised,” he writes in an email. “As a rule, they’ve been about smaller and less risky pix; maybe they feel it would be better to stick with those fast and furious racing boys. I bear them no ill will, and trust Ron Howard to get Roland and his friends before the camera somewhere else. He’s very committed to the project.”

message 28: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

message 29: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

message 30: by Dave (new)

Dave Summers | 10 comments Awesome.He will make a perfect Eddie

message 31: by Dan, Lobstrocity Enthusiast (new)

I saw something on Facebook yesterday about Liam Neeson as a possible Roland. I thought that was interesting.

message 32: by Dave (new)

Dave Summers | 10 comments That might work