THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

Authors and Their Books > update: Florida Koran Burning

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 23 comments AP/UPS News update: Florida Koran burning. anonymous reader sent 12 copies of author j guevara's novels to Dove Baptist Church to include in the pile of Korans to be burned. Authors and Publishers on hearing this latest turn of events had tears in their eyes. When asked by local news media, guevara replied, "...got no idea why someone would do that, specially since that's more novels than I sold on Amazon all year."

message 2: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 21 comments Just when I think it won't get worse, it does, sigh.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 23 comments AP/UPS: LATEST UPDATE: With the media coverage this story has received, it was commented today that Dove Church has been paid by various Muslim organizations to perpetuate this fraud. A spokesperson for Al Qaeda, denied the allegation, but in an off the record comment was heard to say, "You can't buy this kind of promotion."
When Al Jazeera, Islams leading news service, contacted guevara, he replied, "No comment. I can't complain. My site hits are up 400%, and book sales have tripled."

message 4: by R.D. (new)

R.D. LeCoeur | 28 comments Roseann wrote: "Just when I think it won't get worse, it does, sigh."

Personally, I am against anybody burning books whatever is in them. With the huge move to E-publishing future 'fruit cakes' will have a much harder time of it. lol.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

R.D. wrote: Personally, I am against anybody burning books whatever is in them. With the huge move to E-publishing future 'fruit cakes' will have a much harder time of it."

Very funny :). Unfortunatley there will always be fruit cakes. ::sigh::

message 6: by Annalie (new)

Annalie I have this theory that people who read a lot have a much wider perspective on life; this makes them more tolerant of those with points of view (including religious) that are different from their own. Do you agree or disagree?

message 7: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 23 comments Define 'read a lot'.

message 8: by R.D. (new)

R.D. LeCoeur | 28 comments Annalie wrote: "I have this theory that people who read a lot have a much wider perspective on life; this makes them more tolerant of those with points of view (including religious) that are different from their o..."
Mmm... well kinda, reading a VARIETY of books anyway.
The problem here, as I see it, is that there is a likelihood that these people have only ever read one book and both sets can recite it, thus making it a brainwashing experience.

IMHO the man from Florida saw the 'Exorcist,' thought it was a documentary and started up a potentially lucrative offshoot for like minded people. lol.
Makes you quake for the next generation of 'bright young things' that think Harry Potter and Twilight are real.
I think mark Twain had it about right when he said, 'Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.'
'People who quote scriptures have no mind of their own.' RD Le Coeur. Sept 12th 2010.