J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Quote a Funny Paragraph or Section

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments We already have a topic for favorite scenes, but I thought it would be fun to share a favorite funny paragraph, or a series of paragraphs that make a funny interlude. This would mean quoting the section as it appears in the book. Be sure to use quotes, and try to advise in advance if there might be spoilers. Including the book before your quote will help anyone who has not read that particular book.

I wanted to include one to start it off, but the one I like I only have the mp3 version, and so I will have to write it down to get it on here. In the meantime, anyone else, please feel free to share.

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments From Naked in Death, hardback, page 52

As she read over Eve's shoulder, Mavis let out a low whistle, "Not the Roarke! The incredibly wealthy, fabulous to look at, sexily mysterious Roarke who owns approximately twenty-eight percent of the world, and it's satellites?"

All Eve felt was irritation. "He's the only I know."

"You know him." Mavis rolled her green shadowed eyes.

"Dallas, I've underestimated you unforgivably. Tell me everything. How, when, why? Did you sleep with him? Tell me you slept with him, then give me every tiny detail."

"We've had a secret passionate love affair for the last three years, during which time I bore him a son who's being raised on the far side of the moon by Buddhist monks." Brows knit, Eve shook the box.

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Amy wrote: "LOL! Mavis is probably my favorite character out of the series, besides Eve of course, because she is always so energetic and making funny remarks."

I totally agree; she is a great character. Although I have to say that Peabody is my favorite side character with Mavis coming a very close second.

message 4: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Yes, for comical relief, Mavis is definitely the Queen, and she is pretty smart too!!

message 5: by ellen (new)

ellen vasquez | 2 comments Witness in Death page 161 to 162
"today death comes to all your circuits.will it be slow and systematic or fast and brutal?"..."Tough decision. I've waited so long for this moment. dreamed of it."
Showing her teeth she began to roll up her sleeves.
"What" Roarke asked from the doorway that connected their work areas, "is that?"
"the former bane of my existance. the antichrist of technology. Do you have a hammer?"

message 6: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments ellen wrote: "Witness in Death page 161 to 162
"today death comes to all your circuits.will it be slow and systematic or fast and brutal?"..."Tough decision. I've waited so long for this moment. d..."

Ellen, I know what that one is! She's talking about her old computer that she plans to destroy. Great scene, and a great side story, hilarious!!

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Okay, this one is a little lewd and comes at the beginning of Chapter 5 in Fantasy in Death. If you're sensitive to discussion of body parts, you might want to skip this one. I don't have the book, and so had to get it off my mp3. I left off and parts and they are noted with ... This is more like a scene; it's so funny I just couldn't do just one paragraph.

Peabody"Do you think the penis ever gets tired?"
As she drove, Eve turned her head toward Peabody, tipped down the shades she rarely remembered to wear.
Eve - "Whose?"
Peabody - "Anybody's. I mean, anybody with one. Does the penis ever just think, "For God's sake pal, give it a rest, or is it all woo hoo, here we go again"?". .............
"I think even the most stalwart and energetic penis would at some point say - enough's enough for today or tonight, and hey, since I'm all relaxed now, I'm taking a little vacation or just a nap.
Eve - "See, now I've got this image of some cock sitting at a swim up bar at a resort wearing sunshades and drinking one of those stupid drinks full of fruit and paper umbrellas."
Peabody - "Aww, that's cute. .... I think it should have a little straw hat too."
Peabody - "He equates his worth with his penis and also uses it as a weapon."
Eve - "Okay, now I see it wearing a gold chain and toting a blaster. Stop now!"
Shifting, Peabody gave Eve a look of delight. "You get the best images in your head."

message 8: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) Vanessa wrote: "Okay, this one is a little lewd and comes at the beginning of Chapter 5 in Fantasy in Death. If you're sensitive to discussion of body parts, you might want to skip this one. I don't..."

I LOVE this one!!!! I think this is one of my all-time fav interactions between Eve & Peabody :)

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Funny, that's just what I was thinking Alyssa. If you listen to the audio book, Peabody's inflections while she's talking are excellent and oh so funny!! There's so much more to the scene though that adds to the fun, including the metaphors (is that the word?) regarding the topic, such as when Eve asks her if her observations are germane to the case and Peabody responds something like, they spring from the case. There are a few more if you look for them. I was laughing out loud when I came to this part.

message 10: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 27 comments I wrote that scene here. The Penis talk b/w Eve and Peabody. It makes me laugh everytime!

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Oh Erika, I know what you mean. Sometimes I put it on to just listen to that scene. I makes me laugh every time too.

message 12: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments All the byplay between Summerset and Eve is hilarious, but I found this one from Kindred in Death that's pretty good:

When she walked into the house, she gave Summerset one brief glance.
Eve: "Why don't you just outfit a droid in one of the funeral director suits and have it lurk in the foyer? It'd be livelier."
Summerset: "Then I would miss your daily attempts at wit."
Eve: "I only need to attempt as the target comes in at half." She bounded up the steps, pleased. Half-wit, she thought. Pretty good one.

message 13: by Karon (new)

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments Just listening to Holiday in Death this morning and Eve stumbles onto a homicide in the wee hours of the morning. Peabody is slightly annoyed at how early it is and after some initial business is done she asks Eve if she wants some coffee. Eve says "If you want coffee, just say so Peabody." Peabody admits she wants it, so Eve says "Get some and get me some while you're at it."

This sort of stuff just makes me giggle...and it happens a lot in these books!

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments In Remember When, page 290-291 in the hardback version: Another great example of the Peabody, Eve and McNab triangle.

Peabody: "We can get pretty messy when we're both pumping it on the job--and you know, doing each other."

Eve: "Shut up. Just shut up. You're trying to make me twitch."

Peabody: "I haven't mentioned sex and McNab all day. It was time."

message 15: by Karon (new)

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments In Portrait in Death audio version, Part 4 around the 20 minute mark, Sommerset is throwing a fit about the physician's assistant being in the house for him after his accident and Roarke is starting to lose his temper.

Eve orders everyone out of the room including Roarke so she can talk to Sommerset. She tells him to "go down to the gym and beat up a workout droid or go up to your office and buy Greenland" That was so incredibly funny to me....because I could see him doing either!

message 16: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) That was a funny scene Karon. Thanks for sharing!

I love this thread because I have my fav scenes but I might not always remember what book they came from. This helps me remember & keep up :)

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Vanessa wrote: "In Remember When, page 290-291 in the hardback version: Another great example of the Peabody, Eve and McNab triangle.

Peabody: "We can get pretty messy when we're both pumping it on ..."

"it was time" lol!! That just makes the whole thing more hilarious. Or most. Or just ties the bow

message 18: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Karon wrote: "In Portrait in Death audio version, Part 4 around the 20 minute mark, Sommerset is throwing a fit about the physician's assistant being in the house for him after his accident and Roa..."

I love it when Eve tells him to go buy something and at other times, describes him as the owner of the most of the planet and it's satellites. Or "of the known universe" is another quote, I believe.