The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

2010 Group Reads - Archives > Adam Bede - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.), Founder (last edited Sep 21, 2010 12:12PM) (new)

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
The schedule for our upcoming group read of George Eliot's Adam Bede is as follows:

Book First--September 15th through the 21st
Book Second--September 22nd through the 28th
Book Third--September 29th through October 5th
Book Fourth--October 6th through the 12th
Book Fifth--October 13th through the 19th
Book Sixth--October 20th through the 26th

I will post each successive discussion folder the evening prior to the starting date (U.S.) of the section in order to accommodate our members across the International Dateline.

As readers, please be aware that you may encounter "Spoilers" associated with that section if you dive into it prior to completing your own reading of that particular section. For those posting comments, especially those who've read this novel previously, please try not to refer to any events and/or incidents that occur in future sections.

Okay, so we now have a schedule for Adam Bede. I'm excited to get started!

Is there any member in our group that would like to lead the read and discussion of Adam Bede? Please let me know at your earliest convenience, and we'll get you set up to go. If no one is particularly interested at this point, I shall be delighted to serve as your moderator for the discussion. Cheers! Chris

message 3: by MadgeUK (last edited Sep 09, 2010 12:06AM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I think it is particularly fitting that as the founder of this group you should moderate our first reading Chris and I very much look forward to your insights.

Can you post a separate thread for 'Background Information' please - I have some titbits up my sleeves:).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

MadgeUK wrote: "I think it is particularly fitting that as the founder of this group you should moderate our first reading Chris and I very much look forward to your insights.

Can you post a separate thread for..."

There's one here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 5: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I think it is particularly fitting that as the founder of this group you should moderate our first reading Chris and I very much look forward to your insights.

message 6: by Historybuff93 (new)

Historybuff93 | 287 comments Just a quick question: does anyone know exactly how long the six sections of Adam Bede are? I'd really like to join in the reading but seeing that school has started--I will have the reading from my history, chemistry, college philosophy, and literature--I'm not sure if I will have time.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Historybuff93 wrote: "Just a quick question: does anyone know exactly how long the six sections of Adam Bede are? I'd really like to join in the reading but seeing that school has started--I will have the reading from m..."

They're uneven in size. My copy of Adam Bede has about 570 pages. Book 1 is 180 pp, Book 2 is about 80pp, Book 3 is 40 pp, Book 4 is 90 pp, Book 5 is 110 pp, Book 6 and the epilogue are about 70pp.

Kate wrote: "Historybuff93 wrote: "Just a quick question: does anyone know exactly how long the six sections of Adam Bede are? I'd really like to join in the reading but seeing that school has started--I will h..."

I am reading Book First now, and noticed its length. We may find that combining Book Second and Book Third; and Book Sixth and the Epilogue makes the most sense. This would give us a total time commitment for the group read and discussion of five weeks versus the originally contemplated six weeks. Thoughts?

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 483 comments Or we could discuss book one for two weeks, to allow busy people to catch up.

Jan wrote: "Or we could discuss book one for two weeks, to allow busy people to catch up."

An excellent suggestion too, Jan! I will go with whatever you all desire.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I like Jan's suggestion of two weeks for the first book. The rest are +/- close to the same length and the first book is twice as long as any of the rest of them so it makes sense. Also lots of people are starting school or getting kids started in school through the end of the month and are extra busy.

Kate wrote: "I like Jan's suggestion of two weeks for the first book. The rest are +/- close to the same length and the first book is twice as long as any of the rest of them so it makes sense. Also lots of p..."

This works for me too, Kate. Why don't we just go with this. I will 'edit' the reading schedule above right now. Good catch, Ladies!

Please NOTE that I revised the Adam Bede reading schedule. The "Book First" section has been expanded to two-weeks, with the remaining five books in the novel to follow in weekly increments. You might like to print the schedule and tuck it inside your copy of the novel.

I will post the first discussion folder for Adam Bede on Tuesday, September 14th.

message 14: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Christopher wrote: "Jan wrote: "Or we could discuss book one for two weeks, to allow busy people to catch up."

An excellent suggestion too, Jan! I will go with whatever you all desire."

I would vote for that. It's a long book, and lots in it to talk about.

Edit: I see you already did it. Good.

message 15: by Everyman (last edited Sep 19, 2010 05:35PM) (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Edit -- changed my mind.

Everyman wrote: "Edit -- changed my mind."

I know what you mean. I have been slowly flipping back through Book First, looking for some more tidbits. I am finding some more stuff too. If every one is all caught up, maybe we can move into Book Second sooner.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

My suggestion would be give it another day and if no one has posted anything else by tomorrow night, or you don't hear "Wait, I'm a little behind, DON'T LEAVE MEEEE!" go ahead and bump the schedule up.

message 18: by Grace Tjan (new)

Grace Tjan I'm just about to start the first book. But I don't mind the schedule being bumped up, as the discussion for the first book will be still open anyway.

message 19: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments I don't care either way but we don't seem to have discussed Captain Donnithorne's relationship with Hetty, nor Adam's relationship with Dinah. Not just the 'lurv, but the Eliot's philosophy about the relations between men and women. She led such a controversial life herself in this regard, I think her literary views are worth examining. Do they, for instance, measure up to the 'realism' she wanted this novel to reflect. (Answers in the Part I thread please:D.)

message 20: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments MadgeUK wrote: "I don't care either way but we don't seem to have discussed Captain Donnithorne's relationship with Hetty, nor Adam's relationship with Dinah. Not just the 'lurv, but the Eliot's philosophy about t..."

Can we hear more about your ideas on this in the Part I thread?

message 21: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.), Founder (last edited Sep 21, 2010 12:54PM) (new)

Please Note that I have gone ahead and posted the discussion thread for Adam Bede "Book Second." I didn't want you guys spending too much time in the 'Sandbox of Ozymandias," but to get back to doing what we all do best--Discussing great books!

Of course, those of you still reading "Book First," keep reading and posting; we will always join you in discussion.

Cheers!

message 22: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Thanks Chris. I am just cooking up something for Book First:).

MadgeUK wrote: "Thanks Chris. I am just cooking up something for Book First:)."

Oh, goody! I have some too, that I plan to post tonight.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

*runs off to get started on Book Two as she is woefully behind on her reading due to the evil influences of RL*

message 25: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Time to set up the Book 6 thread, Christopher, if you can find the time away from lallygagging about working on your suntan!