Art Club discussion

ART HELP > ART HELP

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (last edited Nov 07, 2010 08:03PM) (new)

Sara (weisthis) | 2329 comments Mod
I need advice on the shading for this: http://fav.me/d2xyrvj Especially on the skin since I haven't even started that yet.

I FINISHED THIS AWHILE AGO SO I NO LONGER NEED ADVICE.
xP

message 2: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Laura  | 3132 comments Mod
I need help with the background for a pic I'm drawing. In it is Catherine Morland (Northanger Abbey...Jane Austen...) dressed in the clothes of the time period. She's carrying a parasol and has a hat sort of draped on her back with the cord of the hat around her neck. Her dress is a maroon color that has a satiny effect achieved by 40 minutes of hand cramping.

What should I do for the background?! I AM TOTALLY CLUELESS. MAYBE NO BACKGROUND?!?!

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Sep 11, 2010 09:46PM) (new)

Rachel (absurdlynerdygirl) | 267 comments What about a house, or a park, yah, a park! Maybe some trees too....

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (absurdlynerdygirl) | 267 comments WALMART!!!!

I hate Walmart. >:(

message 5: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

Guys, I'm deleting your banana obsessed posts.

message 6: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

Laura -- Pictoperson Extraordinaire wrote: "I need help with the background for a pic I'm drawing. In it is Catherine Morland (Northanger Abbey...Jane Austen...) dressed in the clothes of the time period. She's carrying a parasol and has a h..."

I'd go with just shading it a random color that'd complement the picture... unless you really want to draw something in the background.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (absurdlynerdygirl) | 267 comments Ok. I don't mind if you delete them...

message 8: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Sara Without An }{ wrote: "Guys, I'm deleting your banana obsessed posts."

Awwww...I never got to read them! D:

message 9: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Okay. I'll just invent a funny conversation in my head, then...

message 10: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

I was reading an art book yesterday, and it said something interesting about symbols and art.

The book claims that as children, we give every thing a symbol: dad (draw a circle for the head, two lines for the arms, two lines for legs), mom (the same shape with slight variation, maybe a triangle for the dress), eye (a rough almond shape with a circle for the pupil), hand (circular shape with five lines for fingers). We keep drawing these symbols as we mature and it becomes more difficult to draw with complete accuracy and make drawings look 'real' as our brain keeps reverting back to drawing symbols, not what is actually there.

Just thought that was interesting. A rough summation of a couple pages from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

message 11: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

I was readin that and thinking, "oh that sounds like what was said in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain!" then I finished reading and was like "no duh" >.<

message 12: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

lol

message 13: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

I'm going to delete the banana posts. We really should keep this topic free of spam.

message 14: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Since people seem to truly love bananas, I'm creating a banana topic, okay? If it gets out of hand it shall be deleted. Thanks.

message 15: by Sloane (new)

Sloane  | 638 comments need help with art!!! don't have a picture of it, but i drew and chibi of L from death note. i forget what color his clothes are.....

message 16: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

White shirt black pants? I think...

message 17: by Silver (new)

Silver Sara Without An }{ wrote: "I need advice on the shading for this: http://fav.me/d2xyrvj Especially on the skin since I haven't even started that yet."

I suggest you look at a similar picture of a real person. It all depends on where the light's coming from, but there's going to be shading around the eyes (because they're future back in the head) and around the nose - the nose usually gets a shadow. And then there's that line between the lips and the chin.

message 18: by Silver (new)

Silver Laura wrote: "I need help with the background for a pic I'm drawing. In it is Catherine Morland (Northanger Abbey...Jane Austen...) dressed in the clothes of the time period. She's carrying a parasol and has a h..."

I'm not an expert on that time period, but perhaps walking along a sidewalk/road by some shops?

message 19: by Silver (new)

Silver Laura wrote: "I was reading an art book yesterday, and it said something interesting about symbols and art.

The book claims that as children, we give every thing a symbol: dad (draw a circle for the head, two ..."

that reminds me of what I've read about how you have to draw what's really there, not what you think it should look like. Don't make necks too long :)

message 20: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

For my birthday, my parents said they could possibly get me a tablet! :D SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

I've looked through (most) of the Wacom website, and I can't decide which edition of Bamboo I'd like...any suggestions?

message 21: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

YAY FOR LAURA!!!! x)
Maybe you should ask Nightshade because I know she recently got one.

and Silver-
I finished it awhile ago. lol

message 22: by Sloane (new)

Sloane  | 638 comments *facepalm* i'm a stupid person. L wears a white shirt and jeans. >_>

message 23: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

@Sara: Okay...I'll ask her.

@ Sloane: Um.....yeah.

message 24: by Sloane (new)

Sloane  | 638 comments yeah.....

message 25: by Silver (new)

Silver Sara Without An }{ wrote: "YAY FOR LAURA!!!! x)
Maybe you should ask Nightshade because I know she recently got one.

and Silver-
I finished it awhile ago. lol"

I wrote that in November - oh you wrote that in November... wow I'm getting to this topic late.

message 26: by Silver (new)

Silver Sloane *random artist girl* wrote: "*facepalm* i'm a stupid person. L wears a white shirt and jeans. >_>"

well I'm wearing a purple shirt with too-short-too-wide blue sweatpants and it clashes and looks stupid.

message 27: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments KK i have a question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
uhmmm i'm trying to draw a rose to frame and give to my grandma for christmas....but idk how to draw a rose!!!!!!
can somebody help me?
step by step???
please!!!!!???????
http://www.mce.k12tn.net/dogs/odie.jpg
*puppy face*

message 28: by Sloane (new)

Sloane  | 638 comments i'd like to help but i can't draw flowers :/ sorry

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Same.

message 30: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments Thanks Barbara!

message 31: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments *random artist girl* wrote: "i'd like to help but i can't draw flowers :/ sorry"

its okay ^^

message 32: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments *random artist girl* wrote: "i'd like to help but i can't draw flowers :/ sorry"

♠Grey♠ wrote: "Same."
its okay ^^

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks~! I'm off to work on my album cover, be back in......a hour or so.

message 34: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments okay ^^

message 35: by Nightshade (new)

Nightshade | 342 comments Sara Without An }{ wrote: "YAY FOR LAURA!!!! x)
Maybe you should ask Nightshade because I know she recently got one."

You shouldn't, because I don't have Wacom... I'm no help here. Sorry. o_o

message 36: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

NIGHTSHADE! YOU'VE SURFACED!!!!

message 37: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

~*~*~Annie~*~*~ Keep the CHRIST in CHRISTmas! wrote: "KK i have a question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
uhmmm i'm trying to draw a rose to frame and give to my grandma for christmas....but idk how to draw a rose!!!!!!
can som..."

If you still need help, I can dig out some of my rose drawings for you to see....
Also, I'd recommend that you look into buying an actual rose. If you go to like a grocery store or something, you can get flowers for pretty cheap (or at least where I live lol). It helps so much to have a reference outside of a photo because you can turn it this way and that.

message 38: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments okay:) thanks Sara!

message 39: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

I have to work on an essay right now but I'll try to get them up by tonight.

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments okay^^
good luck on your essay!

message 41: by Silver (new)

Silver I'm supposed to be writing one, too....

message 42: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

I'm supposed to be working on a 32 page scrapbook thing.
I only have 4 pages done.

message 43: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments mostly when i'm really bored i just draw awesome, crazy designs.
i'd love to post some for you guys to see..but i don't have my pictures on devainart or well anything..

message 44: by Silver (new)

Silver like I make cards on my computer and have pictures I use on my cards (Close-ups of flowers and stuff) but they're not online... I should make that my next blog post!!

message 45: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Holiday cards! Yay!

message 46: by Annie (new)

Annie | 278 comments ~*~*~Annie~*~*~ Keep the CHRIST in CHRISTmas! wrote: "KK i have a question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
can som..."

i finished my rose for my Nana.
it looks wonderful.
i'll try to post it later...after christmas :P

message 47: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

Umm... why??
Thanks though

message 48: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Lauren (Firestorm) wrote: "ugh I don't know I guess BC it is kinda like inappropriate
I mean since her look you know what I mean??
When I drew an angel when I was little and put lets just say chee chees then they made me er..."

. . . when I was younger my mother questioned me because I drew "the crack" of the breasts on some of my drawings. Now that I look back on it, my drawings were incorrect because they weren't really wearing corsets. .____.

message 49: by Laura , in a public relationship with rasputin??? (new)

Personally, I don't have a problem with appreciating art with, you know, as you termed them "chee chees" (lol that's fuuuuuunny), but I do have a problem with overly suggestive material. I mean, breasts are part of the female body, so naturally, you're going to draw them, but I don't like art where the artist goes completely overboard with skimpy clothing--or in the worst circumstances draws the character nude--because I feel as if the person in the drawing is secretly screaming to have their dignity back.

message 50: by Sara, Rararasputin lover of the scatman (new)

...her hands were in her hair. Oh snap. Inappropriateness. Bring out the censors.

« previous 1 3