Good Reads Vegetarians discussion

THE one recommended book

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally McMurtry (allycay) | 1 comments I am just starting down the path of being vegetarian - maybe even one day a vegan (when it doesn't overwhelm me so much).

My question is what ONE book would you recommend to someone just starting out? And why? (I know it's two questions not one)

Love & Light
Ally

message 2: by Shel (new)

Shel (shelgraves) | 33 comments For someone making the transition, I recommend Joel Fuhrman's "Eat for Health, Book 1 the Mind Makeover" (Book 2 is mostly recipes) http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/eat_for.... It provides good information about how to eat in general — try to get the most nutrients for the fewest calories (which just happens to mean eating mostly vegetables as well as legumes, fruits, and nuts). There are many great reasons to be vegan or vegetarian (and interesting books on the subjects), but everyone needs to eat healthy and I don't think we typically get very good information about what to eat. The "Eat for Health" books looked a little goofy to me at first, but the information is solid and it got me thinking differently about what food I really prefer. The basic idea — choose salads, soups, smoothies, and sorbets — is easy to follow (although it may require a perception shift) and I was surprised by how eating more vegetables did satisfy my appetite more quickly (whereas the first time I went vegan I was often hungry).
I also recommend checking out the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture's MyPyramidTracker: http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov. While I don't agree with the government's version of the food pyramid (I never get enough, or any, dairy), it does provide some useful feedback about what I'm eating. For example, I never have a problem meeting, or exceeding, my protein intake but I still have difficulty eating the recommended amount of vegetables on a daily basis — and that's on a vegan, gluten-free diet! Also, it makes it pretty clear what supplements might be useful (definitely B-12!) or what kinds of foods I should eat more of to get enough iron, vitamin A, folic acid, zinc, etc.

message 3: by Rai (new)

Rai | 33 comments Hi Ally,

I am so delighted to hear you are embarking on what I like to think of as a wonderful new path to enlightenment. It is a decision you will never regret and one that will bring great health & peace into your life. My family & I are all happy, healthy vegans, and it is something we are all proud of. I personally have found a whole new world of culinary delights that I would never have enjoyed because of it. We chose it because we never want to do any harm to any other living being, and make no mistake, there is terrible harm being done to our non-human friends because of the meat & dairy industries.

There are many great books out there, but if I had to choose one, I would recommend the book 'Diet for a New America', by John Robbins. Here's the link to it on Amazon (you can find it in oodles of places):

http://www.amazon.com/Diet-New-Americ...

It is an extremely well-researched book that is readable, engaging, ultra-informative, and vitally important. It answers all the questions, dispels the myths, and lays bare the truth. John Robbins is an amazing and inspiring person. With his book, you will be completely informed on this important new path. Highly recommended!

Best wishes to you for happiness, peace & good health...

Rai

P.S. I wrote a couple of quotes about my feelings on this matter, they're on my profile page if you'd like to check them out.

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) I recommend a cookbook, which I've found to be completely realistic and funny and delicious and just overall useful when you run out of ingredients and wonder how to manage without some of the things most kitchens have. It's vegan, but don't let that put you off. It's not at all hard to grasp: Veganomicon.

message 5: by Rai (new)

Rai | 33 comments Trish wrote: "I recommend a cookbook, which I've found to be completely realistic and funny and delicious and just overall useful when you run out of ingredients and wonder how to manage without some of the thin..."

Sounds like a great cookbook! My family & I are always on the lookout for cool new vegan recipes. I want it! :)

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) It's a favorite of mine, so I hope you like it!

message 7: by Maggie (new)

Maggie For vegan books try anything by Sarah Kramer eg "La Dolce Vegan" or "How it all vegan" (also good for vegetarians). One of the best baking books I've ever found is by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau called "The joy of vegan baking" also excellent for vegetarians. She also has a website you can check out. If I had to name one book only I'd say try "Radiant Health, Inner wealth" by Tess Quintessance.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 03, 2011 05:31PM) (new)

Vegans dont eat fish right?... I wish to eat fish! I thought this was a vegetarian group and looking for cook books with fish and vegetable dishes that anyone can recommend.

message 9: by Maya (new)

Maya Panika Saad wrote: "Vegans dont eat fish right?... I wish to eat fish! I thought this was a vegetarian group and looking for cook books with fish and vegetable dishes that anyone can recommend."

Vegetarians don't eat fish. Vegans don't eat any animal products, meat, fish or dairy.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Right lol fish is meat.. why of course ...lol sorry I am Asian!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

hmmmz vegans arent they a fussy lot... vegans diet wont work already a stick.

message 12: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Mulder (ameliamulder) Saad wrote: "Vegans dont eat fish right?... I wish to eat fish! I thought this was a vegetarian group and looking for cook books with fish and vegetable dishes that anyone can recommend."

Saad, neither vegans nor vegetarians eat fish.

message 13: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell | 1 comments Saad wrote: "hmmmz vegans arent they a fussy lot... vegans diet wont work already a stick."

I prefer to think of myself as discerning. :) And believe me, there are fat vegans.

message 14: by Petabyte (new)

Petabyte | 3 comments Shel wrote: "For someone making the transition, I recommend Joel Fuhrman's "Eat for Health, Book 1 the Mind Makeover" (Book 2 is mostly recipes) http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/eat_for.... It provides go..."

This is an excellent rec. I got started with Fuhrman's Eat to Live, and then read Eat for Health. If you've access to a public library, go get your copy today. (:

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo | 12 comments I haven't got Veganomican but I read through it when I first had to cut out eggs and dairy for my digestion and found it to be quite the bible. I copied down a lot of the recipes and have tried a few with good success. There are many books by the author/authors that are worth looking at too.

message 16: by Robert Steven (new)

Robert Steven Goldstein | 5 comments Here is a link to a book review that might be of interest: http://beccachopra.com/2013/12/17/a-n...

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hogan | 5 comments Skinny bitch :) great book!

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin | 1 comments Veganist by Kathy Freston.