Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Primary series now available!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments FYI to all series-loving librarians, the "move up" link next to series is live now. We can change the order in which series display for books and designate one of them (the one in the 1 slot) as the primary series which shows up next to the title.

message 2: by willaful (new)

willaful Could someone give a general rundown of the situations in which we would want to do this?

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Generally speaking, I believe it was decided that the primary series should be the more reducible/minimal series. Thus, if you have a book that is #15 in the "Star Trek: Next Generation" series and also in the "Star Trek" universe series, you want the TNG series to be listed first as primary. If that book also happens to be #3 of a more specific TNG trilogy, then the trilogy should be listed as primary, with TNG second, and the universe last.

Currently, series are just listed in the order added, so depending on how and when books were added to various series, the listing may not be in optimal order, which is why one would want to rearrange them.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments Consider Ringworld: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79...

The Known Space series by Larry Niven contains stories linked by a common future history. Within that series, he has written four novels set specifically in Ringworld, which form their own sub-series (or perhaps cycle would be more appropriate in this case). The initial Ringworld novel is also part of the Science Fiction Masterworks series.

So, one book, three different series and now a way to specify which series name appears next to the title.

Now comes the edit war, with librarians moving series up and down the list as seems most appropriate to them!

message 5: by Cait (last edited Sep 08, 2010 07:01PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Hmm.

1. Hierarchy rule: When a book is part of a smaller series which exists within a larger series, the consensus is that the most specific series indication should be the primary one.
Example:
Cyborg Come Home is (Teen Titans Chapter Book #1), and "Teen Titans Chapter Book" is a series which is contained in the larger "Teen Titans Go!" series; therefore, this book belongs to both series. Since "Teen Titans Chapter Book" is the more specific series, it's the primary one.

2. Whole/Part rule: When a book is part of a series and the book also contains a short story which is part of a series, the series to which the whole book belongs should be the primary series.
Example:
Legends 2 is part of the "Legends" series of anthologies, and it contains stories which are part of the "Pern", "Sword of Truth", and "A Song of Fire and Ice" series. Since "Legends" is the series to which the whole book belongs, it's the primary one. (This is an awful example because of the crazy numbering on the Legends series, but it's the only one I know offhand.)

3. Comic Books rule: When a book is part of a series and also collects issues of a comic book series, the book series should be the primary series.
Example:
Outsiders, Vol. 1: Looking For Trouble is (Outsiders III #1) and also (Outsiders III (Single issues) #1-7). Since "Outsiders III" is a book series and "Outsiders III (Single issues)" is a comic series, "Outsiders III" is the primary one.

4. Crossovers anti-rule: When a book is a crossover between two series, there is no rule for picking which series should be listed as the primary series.
Example:
Doubleback is (Georgia Davis Mysteries #2) and (Ellie Foreman Mysteries #5). While "Georgia Davis Mysteries" is listed as the primary series, this is an arbitrary choice based on the book being marketed more aggressively as the sequel to the previous "Georgia Davis Mysteries" than as the next book in the "Ellie Foreman Mysteries".

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments 'Kay, so in the Ringworld example, I would order Known Space as first series (because it is the over-arching series), but you would put the Ringworld series first because that is the more specific series for that book. Is that right, Cait?

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Michael wrote: "'Kay, so in the Ringworld example, I would order Known Space as first series (because it is the over-arching series), but you would put the Ringworld series first because that is the more specific ..."

Yes, that's how the decision went in the previous conversation:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments Uggh - I can't keep up with all the different threads! :-(

Thanks for bearing with my asinine comments - I will re-order the Ringworld series (and the Man-Kzin Wars, too!).

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments It has been something of a series explosion around here! I don't mind recapping. :)

message 10: by willaful (new)

willaful Thanks for the input.

message 11: by Carolyn (last edited Sep 15, 2010 09:06AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments An excellent rule summary Cait!

The only suggestion I might make, to avoid librarian change-wars, is to add to #4 Crossovers Anti-Rule, that for anthologies without an overarching series, the default series order should be that matching the order of the authors given for the book. That should wrap up the 'marketing xx-author' as well, since that author will likely be given a top billing on the cover. This, of course, is only applicable to those books that are anthologies with multiple authors, without an overarching series, like Many Bloody Returns, Strange Brew, and Winter Moon.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42061 comments Mod
That makes sense, Carolyn.

Should these get added to the manual?

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Carolyn wrote: "The only suggestion I might make, to avoid librarian change-wars, is to add to #4 Crossovers Anti-Rule, that for anthologies without an overarching series, the default series order should be that matching the order of the authors given for the book."

That makes sense, for the series order, but wasn't there discussion of using a dummy "Anthology" series as the primary series for those in addition to the included series?

message 14: by Carolyn (last edited Sep 15, 2010 10:37AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Cait wrote: "That makes sense, for the series order, but wasn't there discussion of using a dummy "Anthology" series as the primary series for those in addition to the included series? ..."

There was some discussion, but it hasn't been established as policy.

Personally I'm not a fan of the idea, since it groups story collections regardless of topic, genre, fiction or non, characters, publisher, or just about any unifying characteristic. I think it's less likely that people will think to look at the book details to find the other series listed, if the first thing written is a generic "Anthology". Besides, not all anthologies have a series connection at all - would we still put "Anthology" on those?

I'd rather see a change on the book page, that when a book is part of multiple series, there is a visual indicator after the first series in the title line to look at the rest of the list in the details. Perhaps a ", more..." immediately following the name of the first series, if there are more than one?