Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

Heartwarming Success Stories > One less pirate site plucking at your profits

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilovetoread (new)

Ilovetoread | 51 comments I went to www.underground.mn a pretty active site today and to my surprise the forum is now closed for the near future. Site Owner NoSorry comments he doesn't have time so he's shutting down for awhile.

This might just be temporary but it seems to me some sites are having issues and more and more are having both short and long term shut downs.

message 2: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Thank you for sharing this item of encouraging news. I am sure that running a site can be very time-consuming, and at times disheartening.

message 3: by Ilovetoread (new)

Ilovetoread | 51 comments I think most people by now know that the shutdown didn't last long. Good news though for author's. NoSorry closed the E-book forum and it sounds final.

message 4: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

The comments by some of the members are quite an eye-opener. Only a few comment on buying books after sampling them on the forum.

Some commentators don't seem to understand that piracy such as this is illegal, which is disheartening.

Since you've already posted the url to the site, I don't imagine a more specific link would be a problem now there's only the chat and it is in public for anyone to read without joining.

http://www.underground.mn/showthread....

message 5: by Ilovetoread (new)

Ilovetoread | 51 comments I'm sorry Rowena. I didn't think before I posted that url. If you would like me to remove it I will. So sorry. Carolyn

message 6: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Carolyn, I did not mean that you should remove it, I was simply hiding behind your skirts.

LOL.

message 7: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

I imagine that as long as the site is no longer making e-books available in violation of the authors' rights, the discussions taking place are quite interesting, and tend to illuminate attitudes among people who feel entitled to copy and distribute e-books.

message 8: by Ilovetoread (new)

Ilovetoread | 51 comments A lot of people are expressing opinions that's for sure. My mother used to have a saying about opinions but it's not nice enough to share on Goodreads.

It never fails to amaze me how many book pirates feel that they are doing the authors a favor.

The comparison of the growth in sharing e-books to what happened in the music industry with Napster baffles me too. Musicians have so many ways to profit from what they do. Writers are much more limited.

message 9: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

I do hear anecdotal evidence that some of the books which are given away free for a week on Amazon subsequently become best sellers once they go on sale for a regular price.

Would those books have sold very well in any case? It is impossible to know. Will the phenomenon continue, and does the marketing strategy apply to every book?