The Sword and Laser discussion

Night of the Living Trekkies - Sword or Laser ?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stan (last edited Sep 08, 2010 01:18PM) (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Ran across this book and with Tom and Veronica just coming back from a "Con" (one that had both Zombies and SciFi fans) I felt I had to post it here:

Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin David Anderson

Night of the Living Trekkies

SYNOPSIS:
"This sci-fi /zombie/comedy/adventure follows a group of rag-tag Trekkies getting together for the fifth annual FedCon (billed as the "largest Starfleet Convention in the western Gulf Coast region").

Our heroes are dressed in homemade uniforms and armed with prop phasers but soon find themselves defending their hotel and convention center against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Suddenly, all of their useless knowledge about particle physics and old Star Trek episodes has genuine real-world applications! And while hotel employees and regular civilians are dying left and right, our Trekkies summon strength and courage by emulating their favorite starship-voyaging characters."

Funny - yes
Original - yes

BUT - is it "Sword" because it has Zombies, or is it "Laser" because it has Trekkies ? You decide.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) Sounds awesome. I wonder if/when it'll be made into a TV movie.

message 3: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Are zombies considered sword? While obviously predominately horror, I always figured them to be closer to laser than sword due to what commonly creates them (a virus or some other type of medical genesis). Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Anyway, the book sounds really fun. Even if it's considered neither sword or laser, I may just have to seek out my own copy of it.

message 4: by Stan (last edited Sep 09, 2010 03:44PM) (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Stories of zombies originated in the West African spiritual belief system of voodoo. So to me Zombies are part of a magic system which implies they are "Sword", not "Laser"

I guess you could argue there really are two different kinds of Zombies now. Sword Zombies, and Laser Zombies.

The modern conception of the zombie owes itself almost entirely to George A. Romero's 1968 film Night of the Living Dead. Even though Night of the Living Dead doesn't bother with explaining where all the Zombies come from in more recent films directors and producers had to come up with *some* reason for why huge mobs of Zombies are wandering around, wanting to eat your brains, and most of those reasons are Science based. So in the movies you'll find "Science" Zombies created by Pollution, Evil Scientists, Military Germ warfare, Parasites, Diseases, Radiation, etc..

P.S.

Just ran across an interesting article about real life Zombie ants:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/...

"When a carpenter ant is infected by a fungus known as Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, the victim remains alive for a short time. The fungus, however, is firmly in the driver's seat. It compels the ant to climb from its nest high in the forest canopy down into small plants and saplings in the understory vegetation. The ant then climbs out onto the underside of a low-hanging leaf where it clamps down with its mandibles just before it dies. There it remains, stuck fast for weeks."