Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments Can we really have series talk without this series? lol

The Dark Hunters series is a great PNR series with vamps, were-hunters and of course dark hunters. The series starts with Fantasy Lover. This book really isn't a DH book, but it introduces the series. My favorite books from the series are Night Pleasures and Night Play.

If you like PNR definitely check this series out. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I picked up the book 1 (sometimes it's listed as number 2 if the list puts it behind the prequel book Fantasy Lover) for $2.99 on my Nook. It's the same price at B&N.com if you download your books and read them from the computer or transfer them to another device.

Haven't read it yet, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Jenese, is it okay to start with Night Pleasures? I actually own Night Pleasures which GR labels as #1 (and FL lover as #0??). I also have ]Dragonswan which is .2 in the DH series (it is in an anthology I have Tapestry). I also own #17.1 which is a short story in Dead After Dark (Includes: Dark-Hunter Novella #17.1) which has Shadow of the Moon. Is it okay to just read these three without reading the others? Or will it spoil it? What do you compare this series to?

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) So glad you started this thread!

message 5: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I may have to try this series again. I was so turned off by Fantasy Lover that I totally lost hope of continuing with this series.

message 6: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments I would refer to this site, this is the correct order of the series.

http://www.officialsanctuary.com/dark...

Although this does not include the dream hunter series which can be including in there.

Yes, you can start the series from Night Pleasures. Fantasy Lover I thought was ok, but I know others that have LOVED it. I adored Kyrian in Night Pleasures. He is hilarious and such a smart ass, my kind of man! :)

Would I recommend reading out of order, absolutely NOT!!! This is a series that should be read in order. There is so much back story and references to the past and people in previous books that it might be frustrating.

message 7: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments Not sure what I would compare this series too. It's really it's own world. It was suggested to me when I wanted something to read after BDB if that helps.

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Kay, that is actually why I haven't read the series -- the description reminds me alot of Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7) by Karen Marie Moning . So I am thining that if I can start with something else ... FYI if you have a Kindle or a Kindle app, Night Pleasures is being sold in Kindle format for about $2 right now.

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Thank you Jenese, that helps alot.

message 10: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments That's awesome! Definitely would jump on that. LOVE LOVE LOVE Kyrian! :) I just finished book 12 out of 15 now. He is still one of my favs.

message 11: by Regina (last edited Sep 08, 2010 01:31PM) (new)

Regina (reginar) Okay, gotta bump this UP.

message 12: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Thanks, Regina. I think I'll download it to my Kindle app just to see if I change my mind about this series.

I haven't read Moning's Highland books so I wouldn't know how to compare. but I do love her Fever series!! Barrons!!!

message 13: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Jenese wrote: "I would refer to this site, this is the correct order of the series.

http://www.officialsanctuary.com/dark...

Although this does not include the dream hunter series which can be including ..."

So, do the Dark Hunters & Dream Hunters intermingle in some way where we need a reading list for both series together?

message 14: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I just found out (in this group I think) that there is a Vlane Camp! Which surprised me. If you like PNR and big alpha men, I am guessing you would enjoy #4, 5, 6 and 7 of the HL series. No need to read ##1-3. In fact many people don't like 1 or 2.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I get confused on this myself.

message 16: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments Vlane Camp?

message 17: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments Kay...the dream hunters I skipped. lol

Here is the order of the series WITH the dream hunters, but you don't have to read them in the DH series to understand. I just heard mixed reviews over some of them so decided to skip them.

http://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/series...

message 18: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Thanks, Jenese.

message 19: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 08, 2010 01:43PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Vlane makes me think of V'lane from Fever series. Are we talking something different, haha?

message 20: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments LMAO! This is about the Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Sorry! :-P

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Yes vlane in the fever series. We briefly touched on moning's HL series above and barrons was mentioned so I had said I heard some people prefer vlane.

message 22: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Regina wrote: "Yes vlane in the fever series. We briefly touched on moning's HL series above and barrons was mentioned so I had said I heard some people prefer vlane."

I def prefer Barrons!! I guess I should make this comment on the Fever thread. LOL

message 23: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments lol. oh! You confused me. I guess I have to try that series. I have the first one but haven't read it yet.

message 24: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) The Fever series is great, definitely give it a try. Okay, sorry for the side comments!

message 25: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments haha!

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 12 comments Hi guys, i just finished Infinity in the Chronicles of Nick series, which relates to the DH's and i loved it, i'm finally thinking that things can be resolved with Nick and Ash, the way she's turned the story on it's head was fab can't wait for the next one

message 27: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 41 comments Christine, I haven't read that yet. I know it's YA and I've been trying to stay away from them a little. But I have heard from several people that Nick's book is good.

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily Love this series although really have not read in order but finished Acheron and reread Night Play not realizing I had read it until half way through, and Fantasy Lover was great fun.

Donna (BLHmistress) (BLHmistress) | 26 comments This is the series that got me hopelessly hooked on Paranormal

message 30: by Ansu (new)

Ansu | 2 comments Donna wrote: "This is the series that got me hopelessly hooked on Paranormal"

Could not agree more, I will read anything with SK's name on it. Her Dark Hunter series is awesome. I am not that great of a fan of the Dream Hunter series though.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I just recently read book 1 of her League series and really enjoyed it. It's more sci-fi than PNR, but her writing style is similar enough that it's easy to get into, and the heros are very BDB-esque in their black warrior outfits.

message 32: by Leea (new)

Leea Just got Night pleasures Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon in the mail today and am going to start it right now... besides BDB this is my second PNR read :)

message 33: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn I was really anal about the reading order (mainly because my former boss insisted on it!) and read the books all in order. I found it helped, as the on-going storiy built on itself in each book.

The short stories, I read out of order as I obtained them.

Kyrian is my fav DH.