Wodehouse cracks me up discussion

Cameos

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aamir (new)

Aamir | 5 comments In addition to the well known characters (Psmith, Jeeves, Bertie etc), there was some memorable cameos. My favorite was the trio: Chimp, Molly and Twist who appeared in two or three novels. One was "Sam the Sudden" and I can't recall the other one ("Company for Henry?"). In one of the novels, Chimp opens a health club called "Healthward Ho" which was a part of one of the most hilarious scenes ever. Which book was that?

message 2: by Dan, Tenth Earl of Emsworth (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 114 comments Mod
I know Chimp and the others were in Pearls, Girls, and Monty Bodkin but the scene you mentioned isn't in there.

message 3: by Aamir (new)

Aamir | 5 comments googled and found out;

Sam the Sudden or Sam in the Suburbs (1925)

The first of five novels (the other four are listed directly below this one) featuring the delicious Soapy and Dolly Molloy and Chimp Twist. Wodehouse cites Sam the Sudden as one of his personal favorites.

(***) Money for Nothing (1928)

Begins slowly but ends in a flurry of comical criminal activity. Chimp runs a place called Healthward Ho, and Soapy administers knock-out drops to anyone who comes near him.

(***) Money in the Bank (1946)

(***) Ice in the Bedroom (1961)

Dolly tries to recover a diamond necklace she left in a house in Valley Fields. The level of creativity occasionally flags a bit, but Chimp (as detective J. Sheringham Adair) is still in fine form.

(** 1/2) Pearls, Girls and Monty Bodkin or The Plot That Thickened (1972)

As usual, Soapy, Dolly, and Chimp set out to steal a valuable (in this case, a pearl necklace). The supporting cast is a bit lackluster, though.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark (slvrshmrk) | 6 comments Good, I just started Sam the Sudden yesterday.