Mystery Lovers! discussion

Random Chats > Mission Nonreader

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (last edited Sep 08, 2010 11:45AM) (new)

Chris (mulishone) | 10 comments A neighbor of mine has never read a book to completion. He dropped this bomb on me during a dinner at my house. At that point I was confronted with two choices, kick him to the street, or throw some titles his way and take on the task of converting him.

Seeing how I have to live next to the guy, I decided to suit up and take on mission convert an idiot.

What titles would you reccomend if this happened to you? Mysteries of course.

message 2: by Chris (last edited Sep 08, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

Chris (mulishone) | 10 comments I gave him a couple easy reads:
Charlie Huston- Caught Stealing
Robert Crais - LA Requiem

And a classic
James Crumley - The Last Good Kiss

message 3: by Deb (new)

Deb | 4 comments How about Ross Thomas?

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) james patterson books are a quick easy read. that's how i got my hubby and brother to read.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) I agree, James Patterson is a good start. Stuart Woods would be a good choice, too. Robert Parker might be good, his Spenser series.

message 6: by Toby (new)

Toby (pearlsmom) | 23 comments And a classic
James Crumley - The Last Good Kiss"

As an old neighbor of Crumley's ...it is a good suggestion ....great "guy" book. Wish Crumley was still around.

message 7: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I agree about James PAtterson. His books are full of suspense and are very quick reads. They wouldn't make it boring or take too much time to read.

Annthelibrarian | 15 comments If he can't finish any of these then I'd say kick him to the street-
The Firm- John Grisham
The Pelican Brief- John Grisham
Tell No One- Harlan Coben

message 9: by Joseph (last edited Sep 13, 2010 06:55PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 31 comments Go with the best, Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Start him with the short stories, they're easier to read.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda | 33 comments Chris wrote: "A neighbor of mine has never read a book to completion. He dropped this bomb on me during a dinner at my house. At that point I was confronted with two choices, kick him to the street, or throw som..."

Child 44. Also, Steig Larsson's books if you think he has patience (they start a bit slow). The September Society is a great cozy mystery.

message 11: by Betsy (last edited Sep 21, 2010 01:33PM) (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 69 comments If he's into masculine, Hillerman's "cozy" type novels are good to read. They're Westerns and short enough too. I also like James Doss,who also does Westerns. but with a more comic edge.

message 12: by RJ (new)

RJ | 5 comments I'm in the process of doing a library tour where I teach parents how to get nonreading adult children interested in books. When my Rock & Roll Mystery Series launched in 2008, a national paper did an article on how an analysis of an ad campaign my publisher did on MySpace showed that half of the buyers were self-proclaimed non-readers. Several made statements like, "I hate books," and "I don't read," in the Books section of thier profiles.
RJ McDonnell
www.rjmcdonnell.com