Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
This topic is about Pretty Little Liars
Pretty Little Liars > Likes and dislikes

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 08, 2010 11:03AM) (new)

What were your likes and dislikes of this novel?

Amanda (writers_soul) I liked the mystery but I didn't like all the girls
"problems" it kind of got annoying after awhile.

Betsy (betsypie) I liked the mystery. I did not like the author's need to constantly bring up brand names. It seemed to break up the writing to me. Every time I'd come across a brand name it ruined the flow of things.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Betsy wrote: "I liked the mystery. I did not like the author's need to constantly bring up brand names. It seemed to break up the writing to me. Every time I'd come across a brand name it ruined the flow of t..."
I agree with you. After a while the 'product placement' just became tiresome.

What I liked best was learning about the characters - the problems they had how they dealt with them. I also liked the mystery.

What I hated was the lack of resolution of the mystery (or secret) alluded to throughout the book - The Jenna Thing. I felt so cheated. It seemed so cynical - let's leave a major thread hanging so readers will feel compelled to read the next book. It's especially annoying to find that so many books have been published in just the last two years. If I continue to the second book to see the resolution of the mysteries introduced in the first book, will I fall into a bottomless pit of unresolved story lines that lead me through the whole series? Ugh!

I want to read a book series because I like the characters and the stories - not to find out how a particular story line ends.

Tara Betsy wrote: "I liked the mystery. I did not like the author's need to constantly bring up brand names. It seemed to break up the writing to me. Every time I'd come across a brand name it ruined the flow of t..."

I also felt that there were a good deal of erroneous brand name dropping in the book. It was also a dislike for me.

I did like the mystery. A is an interesting character.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Betsy wrote: "I liked the mystery. I did not like the author's need to constantly bring up brand names. It seemed to break up the writing to me. Every time I'd come across a brand name it ruined the flow of t..."

ITA... that drove me crazy. Hannah & Spencer annoyed the crapola out of me as well. I did like the mystery, but was disappointed I didn't find out the answers.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I just finished the audio version of the second book in the series, Flawless. I feel that if it had been coupled with the first book it would have been a more satisfying experience overall. There's enough of a mystery to make you want to look forward to the next book but you're not left hanging with a major, unresolved storyline.

I can't help wondering if the books are divided the way they are to maximize income - something similar to the serialization of Dicken's novels.

Adriana (msbibliotecaria) | 29 comments I actually liked most of the book. It was definitely written for teens, but as an adult, I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Although the characters are seemingly very superficial, if you really think about their problems, it's actually kind of sad what they have to deal with (absent parents, cruel and bullying behavior from their peers, eating disorders, self-esteem issues, etc....). I guess what I didn't like was that at first I was really confused because there are four characters you are following along with, and it sometimes got hard to keep track of.

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments I think the brand name thing is really intentional by the author. I think it is a way to show how superficial/ruled by peer pressure the girls are.

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I have about 100 pages to go. Onw of my dislikes is that the problems the girls have seem to be cliches. Sexual orientation, parents divorcing, ext. I thought it was just too done already.