Great African Reads discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
I'd really like to get a little more current events-y to help readers connect with the country that we are reading from/about during our tour stops...since we are in Egypt currently, i will try to post news items from a variety of sources and i invite others to do the same...

message 2: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

okay! three stories for you so far today!

Today is international literacy day and UNESCO has honored Egypt with one of the International Literacy Prizes. The theme was "Literacy and Women's Empowerment." Fits nicely with our tour group discussion, eh?

The New York Times has a story about the new call to boycott the upcoming elections.

Members interested in antiquities and historical preservation/keeping development from running amok, might be interested in this AP article about an ancient city that has several times narrowly averted destruction by means of natural disaster or urban planners.

message 3: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Thanks for setting this up, Marieke - I've come to the conclusion that you have too much time on your hands and please, give me some. ;)

Interesting articles on Egypt, thanks for finding and posting!!

message 4: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

ha! there are not enough hours in the day...

i found some more articles to post today, although some were actually published a few days ago. but, whatever.

The UN Human Rights Council has nominated Egyptian psychiatrist and human rights activist, Aida Seif el-Dawla to become the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture. Her biography is very interesting.

Because Egypt ordered its wheat from Russia in July, the country's bill is high, but experts do not predict riots like those of 2008.

In part three of his upsetting series about honor killings around the world, Robert Fisk focuses on "suicides" in Egypt.

And again, what is news about Egypt without some report about archaeology? The New York Times tells us about the Theban Desert Road Survey. Trust me, it's very interesting.

message 5: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Since I'm home this morning, I can post some early news.

Here's a very interesting article about nanotechnology in Egypt. Potential applications range from medical uses to designing pollution-resistant buildings.

More about El Baradei's reform campaign and his efforts to organize all opposition groups to participate in a total boycott of upcoming parliamentary elections.

A very interesting (to me) article about the authority of the Coptic patriarch in the lives of Church members.

message 6: by Niledaughter (last edited Sep 13, 2010 10:28AM) (new)

Niledaughter | 88 comments Interesting Marieke :) , I need to read some of the news for myself :p

Here is a project that I wish to come to reality :
Underwater Museum Planned for Egypt's Alexandria

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/ne...

message 7: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Nile daughter wrote: "Interesting Marieke :) , I need to read some of the news for myself :p

Here is a project that I wish to come to reality :
Underwater Museum Planned for Egypt's Alexandria

http://news.nationa..."

that's a great story, nile daughter! thank you for posting it. the new Alexandria Library is phenomenal...they have a terrific museum there with lots of artifacts that were found in the Bay. my guide told me i could become a very rich lady if i went diving and found something! :D
i think the concept for this underwater museum is astounding and i hope they can figure out how to do it.

message 8: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

I found a few stories to share today...of course i have some more archaeology news to share! my own visit to Egypt surprised me--i suddenly became very interested in ruins and hidden treasures and very ancient history, that i mistakenly thought would be boring. this blogger from Greece wrote a story about the situation in Egypt, where ancient cities are constantly being re-discovered. he even got to visit some archeological digs.

in Nile River news, the currently low water level apparently caused a barge to tip enough to spill 100 tons of diesel fuel at Aswan. the authorities are trying to secure water purification stations since much of Egypt's drinking water comes from the Nile.

The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace published a piece by Amr Hamzawy explaining why a boycott of the upcoming parliamentary elections is a good idea.

And India is trying to bring its tea back to Egypt after the Egyptian government placed a 30% import duty on Indian tea in 1992, making the export of India's tea to Egypt impossible. Tea is super important in Egyptian culture.

message 9: by Niledaughter (last edited Sep 16, 2010 07:29AM) (new)

Niledaughter | 88 comments Marieke wrote: "that's a great story, nile daughter! thank you for posting it. the new Alexandria Library is phenomenal...they have a terrific museum there with lots of artifacts that were found in the Bay. my guide told me i could become a very rich lady if i went diving and found something! :D
i think the concept for this underwater museum is astounding and i hope they can figure out how to do it.."

You are welcome :) thank you for making this thread ;)..did you think of searching for any treasures ?

I love biblioteca Alexandria ;)..

I need to continue reading your links , but for now :

Since the comments in the blogger comments were negative :( here is some positive act was done :
moving the (Statue of Ramesses II) from Ramses Square to Grand Cairo Museum(mentioned in the article) , the news are not new but important .
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestori...
here is the Grand Cairo Museum (to be completed in 2013)
http://desmena.com/?p=1083
you can see the statue in:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/j...

message 10: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Thanks for posting these! i haven't finished looking at them, but i will.

i have been posting a mixture of "good news" and "bad news" stories about egypt. if you ever disagree with one, for any reason, please feel free to tell us why...this is how we learn. :D

message 11: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 88 comments You are welcome:) I have no doubt about your Moderation & I did not mean to seem rude :o

For the link , I did not say that what he said is false - the events & the Egyptian museum status- but as I posted above , there are trials , poverty , corruption & Bureaucracy make things difficult , after all without hope & work what do we have left .

What really bothered me , was this:
(How can Egypt fight to have its treasures returned, if it can’t take care of the things it already has? )
Did any one who took a treasure from Egypt has the right to in the first place ? It is a moral question , any way the voting concerning the subject on the right of the article Is encouraging .

I do not know if you have any idea about that or not , Exhibitions of artifacts from the tomb of Tutankhamun have appeared in museums across several countries lately .

A Canadian friend of mine went creasy about it in Denver Art Museum this year :D I believe next it will be back to New York .

http://events.nationalgeographic.com/...

message 12: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Nile Daughter said What really bothered me , was this:
(How can Egypt fight to have its treasures returned, if it can’t take care of the things it already has? )
Did any one who took a treasure from Egypt has the right to in the first place ? It is a moral question , any way the voting concerning the subject on the right of the article Is encouraging .

i agree...this is a big and sad problem. one of the articles i meant to post the other day was this article about stolen artifacts found in Spain.

message 13: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Nile daughter said I do not know if you have any idea about that or not , Exhibitions of artifacts from the tomb of Tutankhamun have appeared in museums across several countries lately .

oh my gosh...i will have to plan a trip to new york. i visited the museum in cairo when i was there and i was so overwhelmed...there were soooo many things to see and think about! after i got home i got a book about the items in that collection. i would love to see some of those things again.

message 14: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 88 comments Thanks for you comment & for the link :)
I wish luck ;)

message 15: by Mary Lou (last edited Sep 18, 2010 10:19AM) (new)

Mary Lou Benton (mlbenton) | 14 comments Marieke wrote: "Nile daughter said I do not know if you have any idea about that or not , Exhibitions of artifacts from the tomb of Tutankhamun have appeared in museums across several countries lately .

oh my gos..."

I've been to the museum in Cairo and covered every inch - it was like a dream come true to see all of that. Prior to visiting the Tut exhibit in the US, I was a little complacent thinking I had seen it all. LOL what a difference a setting makes as well as the selection. Fascinating all over again. Also I visited the University of PA (Philly), which has the 3rd largest collection of Egyptian artifacts in the US, to see the Amarna exhibit designed to partner with the TUT. Now I get a chance to see some of Alexandria with the Cleopatra Undersea exhibit in Oct. in Philly! Up I go to the north again!

message 16: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

i guess i did a terrible job of constantly updating this...my apologies!

anyway, i just saw this and it gives us a spectacular view of Egypt...

message 17: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments It's pretty hard to keep up with things! Don't worry :) (though I have been enjoying your posts...)

The above link is a nice view, wow! :D haven't seen that before, that's pretty cool.