Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Manga comments/recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Even my small town library has a whole manga section now. I don't know much about manga. It all looks the same to me. Any recommendations? What do you like about manga?

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments My son swears by the "Full Metal Alchemist," "Parasyte," and "Battle Royale" series. I tried reading "Full Metal Alchemist 1" but couldn't get past the whole start-at-the-back-and-read-panels-from-right-to-left thing.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments RA, do you want to try reading some of it? I can get recommendations from my daughter, who has read and collected massive amounts of it. She started with the younger oriented stories in her teens, and now (in her twenties) is caught up in those with more adult themes.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heck yes! Thanks, Phil and Clark. I stand in front of the manga section at the library and don't know where to start.

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Heck yes! Thanks, Phil and Clark. I stand in front of the manga section at the library and don't know where to start."

Easy to do. I don't know... To these untrained eyes, so much of the cover art looks the same.

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Sep 08, 2010 08:45AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've heard Fruits Basket, Volume 1 recommended ETA but it may be aimed at girls.

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments

Predictably, I fell for this one and took a quick spin through Volume 1 at the library. Something about an indie kid who becomes a death-metal icon. I think.

And there's a movie based on the books, trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rC0V...

Can you say "Kiss at Cobo Hall, 1975"?

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments My daughter asked if you are looking for Action, Drama or Comedy, and said she will check out the library later for complete recommendations. Off the top of her head she had two suggestions.

Action/Drama: Rurouni Kenshin (many, many books in series)

Action: Black Cat (20 books)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Naruto is extremely popular, but I've never read any.

I have read Ranma 1/2, Volume 1. Ranma 1 1/2 is about a boy who fell into a sacred pool while training, and is now cursed to turn into a girl whenever he gets wet. There are lots of martial arts battles, and its very silly and fun.

I love Fruits Basket, Volume 1, although it petered out at the end. It has a girl as the main character, but it's not that girly. It's about a girl who gets kind of taken in by a wealthy family, a family with a curse on it. Each of them turn into one of the animals from the Chinese zodiac when they are hugged, and when they get tired. Tohru, the girl, determines to find a way to break the curse.

I also have read a little of Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 01, and liked it. Two brothers, one of whom is cursed (lots of curses in these manga series) to have an actual metal body instead of a real one. They travel from place to place fighting injustice with lots of cool battles.

message 10: by Phil (last edited Sep 08, 2010 07:09PM) (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Two more from my daughter. She highly recommends both Hellsing and Full Metal Alchemist.

That makes three mentions of FMA here. Perhaps that's where you should start?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24073 comments Mod
Anne Frank Edu-Manga.

message 12: by Phil (last edited Sep 09, 2010 12:42PM) (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Bleach is also good, but also many, many books.

Same for Yu Yu Hakusho.

Apparently the longer the series the better the story.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Two words, KD: Job security. :D

message 14: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments I finally got back to "Detroit Metal City" (see message 7) - at my son's insistence - and I can now definitively say that I am done with Manga. I've given several series a chance but I didn't find any of them very interesting and I just can't get with the whole Japanese back-to-front-right-to-left thing.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.