Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Sushi-Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments As a vegetarian I will abstain from comment, but I'm curious as to your thoughts...sushi, yay or nay?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Never tried it, but it sounds like good sushi is something I would like to try.

message 3: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments YAYYYY!!!!!

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7088 comments My husband makes wonderful sushi. I love pickled eel, salmon, tuna, crab. Drool. I can't handle the chewy things like octopus.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, how does one "make" sushi? I thought it was raw fish.

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7088 comments You have to cook the sushi rice, add some rice vinegar to it, cut the fish properly, and you can make sushi rolls with nori (seaweed), rice and other ingredients. When my youngest girl was not eating fish, he made her sushi rolls with rice and veggies inside (avocado, cucumber, thin pieces of carrot).

Plain raw fish is sashimi. Sushi includes a base of rice.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ah, thanks, Cynthia. I always wondered what the difference was between Sushi and sashimi. They mention both on No Reservations sometimes and I couldn't tell the difference.

message 8: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sushi...YAY!!!

message 9: by Phil (last edited Sep 08, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

Phil | 11629 comments Nay.

I had it a lot in my school years, but don't touch it now. I guess I outgrew it, just like my bout of yellow fever.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RA, there's lots of vegetarian sushi.

Some veggie options:
avocado roll
cucumber roll
yam tempura roll
inari roll (tofu skin)
shitaki mushroom roll
My favorite sushi place in Toronto has one called Green Fields roll which includes radish and squash and yam and avocado and it's DELICIOUS.
I mostly order and/or make the vegetarian ones, but my favorite with fish is actually Philly roll, with smoked salmon and cream cheese.

I've tried the raw fish ones but I don't love the texture.

I love the whole ritual of sushi.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Neigh.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments All those count as sushi? I love vegetarian California rolls. I thought sushi was the fish. This has been a learning experience:)

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Nope. Sashimi is raw fish.

The rolls are maki.

message 14: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Yay! But not too much and not all the time. I get tired of it quickly.

Bunny I thought your post said "Both Sushi and salami." at first. Me too. YAY.

message 15: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments No. After sushi. I'm usually still hungry after sushi.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RA, maki rolls would be another fun thing to make with your boys. You can buy a cheap kit that has the mats in it, and then you just make the rice and stick whatever you want in it and roll it and cut it.

message 17: by R&D (new)

R&D (rowanallen) Sushi: always yes! Reading this has made me decide to make sushi tomorrow. I nearly always go to sushi restaurants and haven't made my own in about a year: definitely will tomorrow!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Welcome, Rowan.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I second the welcome Rowan.

message 20: by R&D (new)

R&D (rowanallen) Jim wrote: "I second the welcome Rowan."

Sarah Pi wrote: "Welcome, Rowan."

Jim & Sarah Pi: thank you! I have been made to feel very welcome by the Goodreads users.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like tempura, but I don't like sushi. It's the flavor of the nori I don't like, though, not the fish.

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7088 comments Lots of people don't like wasabi.

Unfortunately it is hard to get real wasabi--It is available from Penzey's spices.
Most wasabi is actually primarily horseradish, this the throat-on-fire sensation. Real wasabi is easier to swallow and tastier.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My family at one point developed lazy sushi, aka sushi salad.
The table was set with a bowl of sushi rice, a plate of nori, and all the fixins, and you just lumped 'em onto your plate without making rolls and ate it like a salad. Easy but lacking elegance.

I carry chopsticks in my purse. They are metal and collapsible and have a lipstick-case sized carrier. They're handy if I ever need utensils, and I get green points for not using the disposable ones.

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7088 comments Sarah Pi is the coolest.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't know how to use chopsticks at all. Am I the only one?

message 26: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Yay!!! Even when I was a veggie I ate fish. I love, love, love sushi! Though I love Maki more, which is all of the state rolls and some other seriously good stuff at my favorite sushi place in PDX. Spicy Yellow Tail rocks.

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11629 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I don't know how to use chopsticks at all. Am I the only one?"

Probably. Add another stigma to the list.

message 28: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) My 10 year old nephew can use chopsticks...

They have veggie rolls at my sushi place, RA, not bad.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7088 comments My parents lived in Hawaii and Chi Chi Jima (next to Iwo Jima) while dad was in the Navy. The island women taught my mom to love rice, sushi and chopsticks. I grew up eating rice much more than pasta, and using chopsticks, especially in restaurants.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24154 comments Mod
YAY. LOVE sushi. The only sushi I've ever had that I didn't love was sea urchin. I wish there was a fulltime on-call sushi chef living in my kitchen.

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Sep 08, 2010 02:56PM) (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "I don't know how to use chopsticks at all. Am I the only one?"

My 6-month old niece can use chopsticks. Also, the squirrel who lives in the tree outside.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Jim wrote: "Never tried it, but it sounds like good sushi is something I would like to try."

Jim is bivalve-curious.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Smetchie wrote: "No. After sushi. I'm usually still hungry after sushi."

The Japanese are still unfamiliar with our American ways of eating. We need a supersize sushi tradition here.

message 34: by Meels (last edited Sep 08, 2010 03:10PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) You can't be hungry after sushi, Smetchie! That's the beauty of sushi, you can keep ordering and ordering until you cannot stuff anymore wasabi encrusted pieces of fish/rice/seaweed in your gob. Ahhhh. I can eat two full rolls, no sweat! Add a couple of pieces of Super Fire Ball in there and I'm a happy girl. Mmmmmm.

message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I'm usually hungry after sushi too. It's like tapas - those small plates. I'm not made of money, I can't just keep ordering and ordering.

message 36: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Nay for me...I have no love for raw fish or sea weed. I can't use chopsticks either despite multiple attempts on my husbands part to teach me.

message 37: by RandomAnthony (last edited Sep 08, 2010 03:26PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments All of you people except Barb and Alicia suck.

:)

Maybe I'll look up a video on youtube on chopstick use.

message 38: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) At our sushi place, RA, they have ones that are rubber banded together with a wad of paper in between. They're meant for kids, but they'd work for you! Just ask, I'm sure your place has them too.

message 39: by RandomAnthony (last edited Sep 08, 2010 03:35PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Good to see you, Amy! I don't know about kiddie chopsticks, though. They feel like training wheels.

(I'm saying "good to see you" again because you said you weren't going back to the toe thread.)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I love sushi. It makes the best healthy snack for the kids when they get home from school.

I also rock with chopsticks.

RA is stalking you Amy.

message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i love sushi. and wasabi that makes your nose hurt

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

If it doesn't make your nose hurt it's not wasabi.

message 43: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) well said Gail... and eye watering usually occurs as well.

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments correct. it should make you want to rub the inside of your nose

message 45: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) RA, I went back...I'm weak.

I always have to order extra wasabi, my husband eats it all. I must jealously guard my little "extra" blob they bring.

message 46: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) I will never ever eat raw fish. Years in food service taught me that all animal flesh MUST be cooked before eating. It only takes one food borne illness to teach people why.

message 47: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7088 comments My understanding is that freezing the fish before you use it in sushi kills anything that might harm you. This is important to know in land-locked Iowa.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was once touring through Montana and we stopped at some little diner.
I ordered a tuna melt, since it was about the only thing on the menu I could eat. The waitress said "Wow! Nobody's ordered that in years!"
I switched to a grilled cheese. I pictured the cook pulling some thirty year old can of tuna off a shelf and wiping the dust on his apron.
Which is to say that I don't tend to order sushi when I am in landlocked states.

message 49: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) *snicker*

Yes, freshness matters. I don't order shrimp at Denny's...okay I don't eat at Denny's, but you get the idea.

message 50: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Hoooo my goodness, I love sushi. I love sashimi. I love edamame. I love green tea ice cream. I love Japanese teppanyaki. I love mochi.

« previous 1