Terminalcoffee discussion

Rants / Debates (Serious) > Know any good "green" buildings?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Are any "green" buildings around you?

NPR has an article today about the "green" influence on real estate...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

What do you think? Even in our small town you see a lot of solar panels, esp. on churches, for some reason. I've never seen one of those grass roofs, though. I want to check one of those out.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Since I work in the construction industry, I know of quite a few green buildings in the Madison area, some are quite in depth in their desire to be "green". I really like the idea of solar powered parking lots(roads) that is being discussed in another group. It would almost seem like a no brainer for parking lots if they could make them with enough traction.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My alma mater built a green Athenaeum last year to be the new center of campus. It's pretty cool looking. I've seen pictures, and the outside, but haven't been in since it was still under construction.

# he exterior of the library is constructed using high-performance glass, allowing daylight in and providing expansive views while reducing the amount of heat gain in the building.
# Green roofs are employed in two places to further reduce heat gain and alleviate stormwater runoff.
# Recycled building materials were used throughout the building, including construction materials, carpeting, and previously used furniture.
# Additionally, 50 percent of all construction debris was recycled.
# Low volatile organic compound (VOC) adhesives and sealants were used throughout the building’s interior.
# LED and fluorescent lighting are used inside the building to reduce electricity use.
# HVAC and lighting are controlled by system zoning to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
# Energy conservation features include solar water heating, light-activated motorized window shades, insulated glass, motion sensors for lighting, displacement ventilation, and high-efficient mechanical systems.
# Water conservation features include dual-flush toilets, waterless urinals, water-efficient landscaping, and motion-activated faucets.
# Additionally, a rain garden planted with shrubs, trees, and herbaceous vegetation helps control the stormwater runoff and acts as a natural filter system against pollutants.
# Bike racks, showers, and changing areas, as well as nearby access to bus routes, facilitate the use of alternative modes of transportation.
# Existing wetlands and forests surrounding the Athenaeum were conserved during the building’s construction and delivery.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments A local temp agency gets all their power from solar panels on their roof. I'd love to do the same at home, but so far the cost estimates have been too high (nearly $30K).

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The building in which I work is greenish. Literally.

[image error]

No but actually, it is claimed to be an environmentally friendly construction.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments # Bike racks, showers, and changing areas, as well as nearby access to bus routes, facilitate the use of alternative modes of transportation.

This one is really interesting to me. I agree, I wouldn't want to ride my bike to work and then be all sweaty with nowhere to change. I'd probably leave my work clothes in a locker or something, ride my bike to work, shower, and then change.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've debated riding a bike to work, but been stymied by that sweat issue.

message 8: by Félix (last edited Sep 08, 2010 09:27AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) We have that (bike racks and showers).

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Not a green aspect, but kinda cool: the building includes a lecture hall and the library and a coffeeshop and a performance space but also a mini-gym up on the top level overlooking, so you can cycle while you listen to a lecture or a concert.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments Where I used to work there were bike racks, but always outside. My bike ain't cheap, and I ain't leaving it outside.

I still rode -- I kept the bike in my office.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24070 comments Mod
Chicago has a bunch of green/garden rooftops.

The school that the Obama girls attend underwent a major green renovation - they created a wetlands, they recycle all their wastewater, and I think they grow vegetables on the roof. "It is the first K-12 school in the United States to have a LEED Platinum rating and the first LEED Platinum building in the District of Columbia."

message 12: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) BunWat wrote: "I want bike racks and showers!!"

Years ago I worked at a place with bike racks and showers. Unfortunately the only access to the building was a divided highway with no shoulder, sidewalk or bike path.
Biking to work is a nice idea, but there has to be more than showers to make it viable.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24070 comments Mod
True, Pat. That's just sad.