Amazon Kindle discussion

Just Placed My Order For A Kindle 3

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (wareagle) | 13 comments I am so excited. I can't wait to get it. I'm so tired of killing my phone battery trying to read my book.

message 2: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments Congratulations!! You'll love it!

message 3: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Wow, now that is a definite upgrade for the screen size alone! You'll love it!

message 4: by David (new)

David (wareagle) | 13 comments Yeah, I just woke up and thought I'd read a chapter in my book. Got my phone out and started reading and man the glare from my phone was killing my half awake eyes. The whole time I was reading I kept thinking this would be so much better if I had my Kindle right now.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail L. Taylor (abigailrives) I'm so excited to get mine! I've already downloaded a bunch of book onto my PC - but it does wear on your eyes after a while.

message 6: by David (new)

David (wareagle) | 13 comments I have been downloading some free books on Amazon lately. I discovered www.kindleiq.com which has a page that lists the new FREE books as they are marked down. I got Cybill Shepards autobiography for free which I thought was cool. I remember when that book came out I'd almost thought about getting it then but never did. Now I have it and can read it whenever and for FREE. I like that!!!

I know there are sites on the web also where you can get more free books. I think I'm a little too hooked on all this kindle ebook madness lol.

I WANT MY KINDLE NOW. COME ON AMAZON HURRY UP!!!!!

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenscraps) Congrats on your purchase, I can't wait til I get my new one, I'm trying to be patient but its getting the better of me.

message 8: by David (last edited Sep 09, 2010 08:01PM) (new)

David (wareagle) | 13 comments You know what I was just thinking...... Why is Amazon so backed up on their Kindle 3 orders? They should have known that thing was going to sell like crazy and been prepared for it and had plenty of units ready to go. I hate waiting grrrrr... oh well, such as life I guess.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Huh. Such is marketing, I think. Makes people want them even more when they can't have them. (Talking about myself here. :)

message 10: by David (new)

David (wareagle) | 13 comments Well if that is the case, it sure worked LOL.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) No kidding! I wonder if there'll be free-for-alls when they hit the stores, like with Tickle-Me-Elmo a few years ago. lol

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I put in an order for my K3 and also the lighted cover, The cover is in transit, should be here on Monday, but still waiting for the e-mail about the delivery of the kindle. Amazon sure knows how to create a demand!

message 13: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments The K3 is awesome. Fast page turns, good screen clarity and contrast, page turn buttons on both sides of the device ... and a few minutes work with some string and a leather punch and it fits in my K1 Oberon cover.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Ow ow ow, you really know how to drive the knife in, stormhawk. (Not sure if I mentioned it, but I bought the K2 about 2 weeks before the K3 was unveiled.) lol

message 15: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I bought the DXG when it came out in July. So I now own three Kindles. I feel the OW.

All Kindles are magnificent.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Okay, I can't beat that. You win. :)

How do you actually use 3, if I may ask? Can you keep all the content on all three and then, like, leave one in the office or car, one at home, and one in your purse or pocket, so you have one no matter where you are? Or do you use each for a different thing?

message 17: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Actually, I'm closer to five ... I also have Kindle for PC and Kindle for Crackberry.

Which one I use depends on where I am and what I am reading.

The DXG is better for PDFs or for illustrated content.

The K3wifi is the new toy, and it and I will be inseparable for some time.

I'm trying to decide what to do about the K1 ... do I keep it for times when I'm going into environments that might be detrimental to the K3, or do I offer it to my sister? If it were a K2, it would be a no-brainer, but as it is the first device, and was significantly different in design, I have a certain fondness for it.

Yes, I know it's just a carrier for the content, but hey, I'm sentimental. The Kindles, collectively, are helping with my tendency to hoard books (once I buy one I have a hard time letting go even if I know I'll not ever reread it), so I guess I'm now left with hoarding Kindles.

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 80 comments stormhawk wrote: "Actually, I'm closer to five ... I also have Kindle for PC and Kindle for Crackberry.

Which one I use depends on where I am and what I am reading.

The DXG is better for PDFs or for illustrated ..."

I decided to keep my K1 when I got my K3 because now I can lend it out to people and they can read the books I have.

message 19: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Great idea!

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments OK..so today I received the lighted cover for my K3, but still no e-mail as to when the device itself will be shipped. I think Amazon is playing with my head.

message 21: by David (new)

David (wareagle) | 13 comments I am passing on the lighted cover for now. I went on ebay and bought a cover for 17 dollars. I'm gonna opt to buy a reading lamp for my night stand and see how that works out for awhile.

message 22: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I use an LLBean headlamp when I need a reading light. It points where I look, and so has a major advantage over most of the clip-on booklights.

message 23: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments I tried that at first, but got dizzy with it. Apparently I move my head and eyes around too much. I like the lighted cover for mine.

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 80 comments Ann wrote: "OK..so today I received the lighted cover for my K3, but still no e-mail as to when the device itself will be shipped. I think Amazon is playing with my head."

The same thing happened to me when I got my K3 (I was in the first batch sent out). But I ended up having to go into my order and tell them to reprocess my credit card. I'm not sure why I had to do that, but once I did, my Kindle status changed and gave me a shipping confirmation.

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenscraps) Those who own the K2 and K3 does the power cord from the K2 work on the K3?

message 26: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments Karen wrote: "Those who own the K2 and K3 does the power cord from the K2 work on the K3?"

Yes. Works for either.

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenscraps) IUHoosier wrote: "Karen wrote: "Those who own the K2 and K3 does the power cord from the K2 work on the K3?"

Yes. Works for either."

c
Thank you.

message 28: by Ann (last edited Sep 15, 2010 01:17PM) (new)

Ann | 83 comments Of course, there has to be more nonsense now, just as Amazon is about to ship my K3, my credit card company canceled the transaction, because they thought it may be fraudulent. which is a load of crap, since I've had the same "1 click account" with amazon for at least 4 years, and make purchases at least monthly. I swear they choose purchases randomly just to make me think they are doing something to warrant the fees and interest rates. But why do they have to mess with my K3? I already have the cover. I already have a name picked out!

message 29: by David (new)

David (wareagle) | 13 comments I just checked my order at Amazon and they say my K3 is in transit and scheduled for delivery by the 20th. But I'm thinking (hoping) that it will get here a few days earlier than that. I run my own little small business and I ship packages through USPS all the time standard first class and even though they say it will take 5-7 days for shipping most of the time my customers always get their packages in 2-3. Well we'll see what happens. I'm getting so excited to get my K3. I've never owned a kindle or any other ereader before. I can't wait.

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna | 50 comments Hi, all! I'm about to order a kindle 3 (already have a k2, but can't resist!), and am thinking about the lighted cover. Does anyone know how using the light effects the k3 battery life? I know the k3 is suppose to have alonger battery life than the k2, but nowhere on the lighted cover page does it say how much juice it takes from the kindle. Is it a concern?

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberbounds) | 23 comments I got my cover for my K3 about a week ago. I've used the light a good bit and I can't tell any difference.

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna | 50 comments Thanks, Amber. How do you like the lighted cover? Is it worth the extra money?

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelah110) | 82 comments Donna wrote: "Hi, all! I'm about to order a kindle 3 (already have a k2, but can't resist!), and am thinking about the lighted cover. Does anyone know how using the light effects the k3 battery life? I know the ..."

I have the lighted cover and I love it. I have to say though, I have not noticed my K3 having a longer battery life than my K2, I still have to charge it at least once a week. Maybe it's my reading habits, maybe the lighted cover, don't know. (I charge my K3 at work so my reading time isn't interrupted):)

Amber,Do you keep your wireless turned off most of the time? I have mine on all the time, maybe that's why.

message 34: by Selene (new)

Selene Gudino (selenegudino) | 1 comments I placed my order on Sept 14.. and it already shipped and it should be delivered on Sept 20 wow!!!
i cant wait!!!

message 35: by David (new)

David (wareagle) | 13 comments My K3 came in the mail today. I wasn't expecting it until Monday. I guess I got lucky.

I am absolutely thrilled with the K3. I've never owned an ereader before and I am totally in love with this gadget. I know this thing is going to be my constant companion throughout this next winter season.

My first impressions of the K3 were (1.) It's actually heavier than I thought it was going to be. I kept reading reviews and everyone said it was "so lite" so I was thinking this thing must be feather weight. I was expecting it to be really really really lite. But the weight that it has actually feels good and after holding it for awhile I started to not really notice it and when I put it in the case I bought for it, it just felt like I was holding an actual paperback book. (2.) Man, this thing is so thin! The photos and video reviews I saw and watched over and over again did not prepare me for that. Yeah I know everyone was saying it's so thin and it even looked thin in the videos but I had no idea how thin it actually is until I held it myself and it is so awesome. (3.) It's easier to hold than I thought it would be. I thought I'd be fumbling around with it trying to hold it around the keyboard but the keyboard placement isn't as much of a problem as I thought it was going to be. I find I love holding the K3 a whole lot better than holding a real book and page turns just feel like magic almost when the screen refreshes.

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Soooo jealous. (Glad you're loving your K3.)

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna | 50 comments Thanks for the update, David. You're making it much harder to resist buying one(even though I have a K2, I'm dying to get one!). I may not be able to resist after reading all these glowing reviews!!!

message 38: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelah110) | 82 comments Went to Target today and the K3 was on display. The funny thing is I had to pick it up and touch it even though I had one in my purse!

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberbounds) | 23 comments I love my lighted cover. I got the green one, though if i were to pick again I think I'd go with blue. I keep my wireless off and my battery lasts longer. I don't power off but about once a week because it actually uses more power to turn off and on than it does to sleep.

message 40: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Haha, Angela ~ I'd be doing same as you! So, Target had one on display. Did they also have any in stock?

message 41: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelah110) | 82 comments Mary wrote: "Haha, Angela ~ I'd be doing same as you! So, Target had one on display. Did they also have any in stock?"

The display boxes were empty,so I don't know. probably the kindles were behind the counter.
I'm curious as to how many are purchased at Target. I got both of mine from Amazon.

message 42: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) Thanks, Angela. I got my K2 from Target, and I'm still within the return period. I plan to take it back and exhange it for a K3. If Target lets me. We'll see. If not, well, two Kindles isn't such a bad thing. Or I could gift it to my daughter. If she can pry it out of my hands. lol

message 43: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments She's here!! My K3 arrived yesterday. I've named her Toni...and I love her! So sleek, and I'm happy I spent a few extra dollars for the lighted cover. Haven't had time to really play with her, and get to know all of the new features, but it was a big hit at work yesterday when we listened to "The Raven". I sold my K1 (her name is Lilly) to one of the high school kids I work with. I only asked for $25, because I just love to see someone of that generation reading a book, and the look on his face was priceless.

message 44: by Zette (new)

Zette | 8 comments My mom just bought her K3 at Target this week. She got her last kindle through amazon but I think she was too excited to have to wait for it to ship :0) I'm benefiting from this deal since she plans to keep her K2 and let me read some of her books that I haven't bought with her K3. Awesome!