Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Good Books About the Salem Witch Trials?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silver (new)

Silver I am considering possible books I could read for the read an HF or NF book about witches or witch trials, and though I do have one possible book in mind, I am still looking for other possibilities.

I have a fascination with the Salem Witch Trials, and I loved Arthur Miller's The Crucible so I would love to hear any recommendations for novels about the Salem Witch trails.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Try "Witch of Blackbird Pond" - it isn't the Salem witch trials, but it centers around a Massachusetts small town in that era which ends in a witch trial for the innocent heroine. A really great read.

message 3: by Silver (new)

Silver Sounds interesting.

message 4: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments The one that I chose for that task is The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. It sounds interesting.

message 5: by Lushbug (new)

Lushbug | 1 comments theres a young adult book called witch child about a witch during salem times who leaves England and goes to a small town near salem. very good read. has a sequel which i havent yet read.
book by barbara eskine called hiding from the light set partly modern day and partly during witch killing days! about a witch who has cursed a witchfinder general and comes and haunts the place.

message 6: by Jamie (last edited Sep 08, 2010 06:34AM) (new)

Jamie | 64 comments LemonLinda wrote: "The one that I chose for that task is The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. It sounds interesting."

I'm reading this right now for the task and I'm loving it. I think that anyone who enjoyed The Crucible will also appreciate The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 103 comments As others have said, The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and The Witch of Blackbird Pond are good choices.

You might also be interested in:
Beyond The Burning Time by Kathryn Lasky
The Burning Time by Carol Matas
Witch Child by Rees Celia
Gallows Hill by Lois Duncan
The White Witch by Janet Graber
Witches' Children by Patricia Clapp

As you probably guessed, Witchcraft is an interest of mine as well.

message 8: by Joseph (last edited Sep 08, 2010 07:13AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 103 comments Lushbug wrote: "theres a young adult book called witch child about a witch during salem times who leaves England and goes to a small town near salem. very good read. has a sequel which i havent yet read.
book by..."

The sequel to Witch Child by Celia Rees is Sorceress. Both good reads. Rees is one of my favorite young adult historical fiction authors, along with Kathryn Lasky.

message 9: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 537 comments I picked The Heretic's Daughter for the challenge, haven't gotten to it yet though.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (ygraine) My pick for this challenge is The Last Witchfinder: A Novel by James Morrow. Obviously I can't reccommend it or not yet, but it looks good.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 548 comments LemonLinda wrote: "The one that I chose for that task is The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. It sounds interesting."

I really liked this one but it should be noted that half the book is set in modern day times.

message 12: by Silver (new)

Silver Katie wrote: "My pick for this challenge is The Last Witchfinder: A Novel by James Morrow. Obviously I can't reccommend it or not yet, but it looks good."

I saw that book somewhere and thought it looked interesting, but it was in hardbook where i saw it, and I gerneally prefer paper back.

Some great suggustions, as a fan of the Crucible I will definately have to look in to The Physick Book of Deliverance.

message 13: by Jamie (last edited Sep 08, 2010 03:23PM) (new)

Jamie | 64 comments Robin wrote: "LemonLinda wrote: "The one that I chose for that task is The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. It sounds interesting."

I really liked this one but ..."

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm not sure if the book would actually count as HF. I checked my reading list again, and I realized that I'm reading this book for another task which doesn't require it to be HF (5.1).
: /

I'll be reading The Heretic's Daughter for the witches/witch trial task.

message 14: by Silver (new)

Silver For anyone else who is interested in this subject, It had just dawned on me that I thought someone once mentioned a book written from the point of view of Tituba so I looked it up, and sure enough found it, it sounds pretty interesting.

I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Swift (deborahswift) | 6 comments As people have said, this is an excellent book, and based on a true story. Can't recommend it highly enough.The Heretic's Daughter

message 16: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments Jamie wrote: "Robin wrote: "LemonLinda wrote: "The one that I chose for that task is The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. It sounds interesting."

I really lik..."

Point of clarification - Will this one count for the task? I looked at it and it definitely does go back in time to the Salem Witch trials for half of the book anyway, but unsure if that is considered to be HF.

message 17: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments I looked it up on Goodreads by finding books - then choosing historical fiction. And it is listed on the second page of the most popular historical fiction books. Does that verify it in that category?

message 18: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I also will be reading The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent for the withches/trials of witches task (15.1 I think it is).

I'm really looking forward to it, as I keep "bumping" into this book.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments southpaw285 wrote: "I also will be reading The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent for the withches/trials of witches task (15.1 I think it is).

I'm really looking forward to it, as I keep "bumping" into this book"

SP, I feel the same way. I feel like I keep seeing this title pop-up a lot so I, too, just added it to my tbr list.

message 20: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 Way to go, Amy. Will you be reading it for this challenge?

message 21: by Addie (new)

Addie (addiemon) | 9 comments Kate wrote: "Try "Witch of Blackbird Pond" - it isn't the Salem witch trials, but it centers around a Massachusetts small town in that era which ends in a witch trial for the innocent heroine. A really great ..."

Seconding this; a really fun YA book.

message 22: by Priscilla (last edited Sep 10, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

Priscilla | 1 comments I will have to look this challenge up myself. i am always reading books on the Witch Trials.
I have read The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe Witch Child (Witch Child, #1) by Celia Rees The Minister's Daughter by Julie Hearn the Ministers Daughter(which in the uk is called The Merybegott) this is set around the witch trials but is a Young Adult read with part fantasy.

I have recently read The Witch's Trinity A Novel by Erika Mailman which was agreat read about the witch trials not set in salem but in germany. Although the story was very similar. really enjoyed this one..It is the best one I have read that touches on how desperate people of the times were that they accused their neighbours and family of witchcraft, not too dark a book but really hits home the points. I found it a more enjoyable read than the Heretics daughter which at times was too heavy.

Good luck with the challenge ;)

message 23: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) I love reading about Salem and the witch trials. You guys are killing my to read list with all these suggestions! LOL

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 64 comments LemonLinda wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Robin wrote: "LemonLinda wrote: "The one that I chose for that task is The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. It sounds interesting."
..."

I asked about this over on the Challenge Questions thread and it doesn't look like it will count as HF, since the majority of the book is set in the '90s (probably only 20% is historically set). It does fit 5.1, though, as its alternate title is The Lost Book of Salem.

message 25: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments OK - I switched it over to Task 5.1 - I had gotten it from PBS in audio to use for this challenge so wanted to use it, if at all possible. I think I may go with The Witch of Blackbird Pond for 15.1

message 26: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Witten (suzywitten) | 9 comments Some here might like my book, THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem, which won the 2010 IPPY Silver Medal for Historical Fiction. The Afflicted Girls (Ages 17 and older) "Something terrible happened in Salem in 1692 ... but it isn't what you think!"

message 27: by Evelina A. (new)

Evelina A. (amerigo) | 179 comments I found this Goodreads list for all things Salem and witches:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3367

I'm one of the one that really loved The Heretic's Daughter. My choice for this task is The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow. I've been wanting to read this for some time and now I have the perfect excuse to push it up my TBR list.

message 28: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Witten (suzywitten) | 9 comments I loved The Last Witchfinder. The concept was brilliantly unique.

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather Wilmoth (missoperaghost) | 3 comments Salem Moon by Scarlet Black (Jun 17, 2011)

Gabriel Blackstone is accused of witchcraft in Salem, Massachusetts, 1692 when he kills a deer without ever firing a shot. Unknown to him, it was an evil fallen angel named Lucien who used his powers through him. As Gabriel is being tortured; crushed to death under the weight of stones, Lucien takes him out of Old Salem into the future.
Lily Snow, a young women living in present day Salem, is a brilliant historian who works as an intern at the Salem Witch Museum. Because her family is Wiccan and she’s been ridiculed and bullied most of her life, she keeps to herself. The last thing she’s looking for is love.
That is, until she meets the mysterious, incredibly handsome newcomer to town, named Gabriel Blackstone! When she and Gabriel lock eyes, they know they were always meant to be together.
But Lucien has other plans for the two! He wants Gabriel’s soul and… he wants Lily! The only thing that can stop him is the power of Gabriel’s love.
Now, Salem becomes a battle ground between good and evil, where all Hell breaks loose and no-one is safe…especially the two young lovers!
This novel contains graphic sexual passages.

message 30: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I really enjoyed The Heretic's Daughter