Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > GR Author has added author as part of her name

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyl) | 21 comments This author Jeanne Treat, author has added author as part of her name. She is part of the GR author program, so I can't fix it. Can someone drop her a note about GR policies? Thanks!

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Vicky, You can drop her a note if you wish, but Goodreads members authors can do pretty much what they want with their name on their profile. They have license to use formatting we would otherwise correct, including adding the word author, including their degrees earned, etc.

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vickyl) | 21 comments Ah, ok. Is there any way to make the system know to use Treat as her last name? I guess I'm looking for the author equivalent of a sort title. Right now she shows up in my books as "Author, Jeanne Treat", which is how I noticed and what triggered my slight OCD tendencies.

message 4: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Vicky wrote: "Ah, ok. Is there any way to make the system know to use Treat as her last name? I guess I'm looking for the author equivalent of a sort title. Right now she shows up in my books as "Author, Jeanne ..."

My OCD would flare up there also. I have some authors on my FaceBook page and I'd say about 75%, at least, have added 'author' to their "name". I don't get it personally and I think it's tacky. :(

message 5: by Melody (last edited Sep 08, 2010 07:16AM) (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13258 comments Vicky - you could message her. Maybe let her know why you'd like her to drop the author. Also you can let her know that a new profile exists for her with the standard author format - since that is how new editions will automatically populate Goodreads. http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Oh - I see that Lisa already gave this advice - sorry.

message 6: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments You can also edit each individual book entry and delete the "author". It's a workaround, but it works on booklists.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments It drives me crazy too, and yes, I'd suggest that you write her. It will be easy for her to see that no other Goodreads' author, as far as I can see, is doing this. The (Goodreads author) that appears at all her books will make it clear to members here that she is an author.

But, please don't take books off of her profile page. Goodreads' authors should have their books showing on their own profile pages and as by a Goodreads author member.

message 8: by Melody (last edited Sep 08, 2010 08:16AM) (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13258 comments Well ...... we do have Author-Poet Aberjhani.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Melody wrote: "Well ...... we do have Author-Poet Aberjhani. "

Great (not). These drive me crazy, and I could be wrong, but what I remember is that Goodreads gives great leeway to Goodreads' authors doing what they want with their name/profile.

I think it never hurts to message them.

message 10: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Goodreads Authors are allowed to set their names as anything they chose, but many of them don't know much about how names work on GR unless someone tells them. A few points which some authors have been surprised to learn: their author names changes show up on all of their existing books immediately, but imported new books aren't automatically matched to the changed name; they will automatically have "Goodreads Author" show on their books, so they don't need to add it to their names; and they can have different author names (to show on books) and user names (to show on reviews and group comments), so they could post as John THE GREAT AUTHOR Smith and still show on their books as John Smith. I'm sure it's all covered in the "welcome to the GR author program" stuff, but a reminder probably wouldn't hurt!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2409 comments Cait wrote: "but a reminder probably wouldn't hurt! "

I agree.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Here's an even worse example: Andrew E. Kaufman- Author, Suspense Thrillers He's put the genre in his name as well.

message 13: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "Here's an even worse example: Andrew E. Kaufman- Author, Suspense Thrillers He's put the genre in his name as well."

I saw that author earlier today and just did an eye roll...

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments I like how his name is shortened to "Andrew Thrillers." Now that's a good pen name.