Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2016 > Sherry's 50 books a year

Comments Showing 1-50 of 317 (317 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Thanks to Connie, I think I may have done it. I just finished book #24 and I'm on 25. Tomorrow I'll start my official list.

message 2: by Sherry (last edited Oct 03, 2010 10:42AM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments # 24, Vanish (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #5) by Tess Gerritsen VANISH by Tess Geritsen. I read this in one day. It was a day off so that helped. It was also a very engrossing read. I love the series Rizzoli and Isles that is based on this series. At this rate, I will have to read 6 books a month to make it to 50 by December.

message 3: by Sherry (last edited Oct 03, 2010 10:38AM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #25. Jeffrey Deaver, Speaking in Tongues. Speaking In Tongues A Novel by Jeffery Deaver Another in a day. If I keep this up, maybe I'll make it to 50. Great read -- another mystery, well written.

My choices are left to chance these days. Friends dropped off a box of books they have finished. Lots of mysteries and some self help for artists. So this book is number two from the gift box. I've met very few books or genres I didn't like.

message 4: by Sherry (last edited Oct 03, 2010 10:42AM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #26. Henry the VI part 1 Henry VI, Part 1 (The Pelican Shakespeare) by William Shakespeare

message 5: by Sherry (last edited Sep 28, 2010 10:16AM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments # 27. Paradoxe sur le comédien by Denis Diderot The Paradox of Acting, Denis Diderot. Part job, part pleasure. Some definite insights.

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments I realized I have been pushing myself to finish books since I joined this club in order to reach my goal. I found myself frustrated when a book was long, even though it was good. So, I decided to read several books at once, something I don't ordinarily do. So now I allow myself to take time with the long more difficult yet enjoyable books, while I read others that are also interesting. I have no idea if this will make me able to reach the goal of 50 books -- but it makes me feel better! Ah psychology...

message 7: by Sherry (last edited Oct 03, 2010 10:36AM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #28. Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon DRAGONFLY IN AMBER by Diana Gabaldon I enjoyed this book ultimately even after a slow start. It had a great ending. Surprised me!

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #29. DEVIL BONES by Kathy Reichs. Devil Bones (Temperance Brennan, #11) by Kathy Reichs It's still slow going to get to 50. But I enjoy the process. Still going through my box of books given to me by a friend. This one was enjoyable, and even though different from the series, still equally enjoyable.

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Went to Books A Million today and found books displayed out in front for $1. Yea. I bought 4. None of the ones on my to-read list were there! But, what did I expect? I found some intriguing titles. I hope to break 30 books before weeks end!

message 10: by Sherry (last edited Oct 17, 2010 10:50AM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #30The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed Americaby Erik Larson. Erik Larson tells the story of the Chicago world's fair -- the people who built it and those who used it and abused it -- and the serial killer who preyed on the young women who ventured alone for the first time in their lives to the city of Chicago. H. H. Holmes diabolic murders that span several decades is fascinating and horrifying reading. The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments I joined this group at book # 24. So I'll now post #1.- 23. Vivaldi's Virgins by Barbara Quick Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert Legacy of Love My Education in the Path of Nonviolence by Arun Gandhi The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5) by Bernard Cornwell Execution Dock A Novel (William Monk, #16) by Anne Perry Molecules Of Emotion The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine by Candace B. Pert Book of Souls by Glenn Cooper The Angel (FBI/BPD, # 2) by Carla Neggers Air Apparent (Xanth, #31) by Piers Anthony The Serpent's Tale (Mistress of the Art of Death, #2) by Ariana Franklin Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum, #14) by Janet Evanovich Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) by Janet Evanovich The Prophet of Zongo Street Stories by Mohammed Naseehu Ali The Sheen on the Silk A Novel by Anne Perry Rainbow's End (Richard Jury Mysteries 13) by Martha Grimes The Spy Wore Silk by Andrea Pickens Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella Three Cups of Tea One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson Chekhov In an Hour by Carol Rocamora The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

message 12: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Joining this group has really motivated my reading. Thanks to all for the challenge.

message 13: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann Sherry wrote: "#30The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed Americaby Erik Larson. Erik Larson tells the story of the Chicago world's fair -- the people who buil..."

I just got this on the buy two get one free table at B&N. It's been on my TBR for a while. Since I have a vacation (and self-imposed break from YA reading), I think I've just moved this up the list!

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Cherylann wrote: "Sherry wrote: "#30The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed Americaby Erik Larson. Erik Larson tells the story of the Chicago world's fair -- the ..." It's a pretty amazing read. I learned a lot.

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #31. Countdown (Eve Duncan Forensics Thrillers) by Iris Johansen A fun read -- Even though it's midway through a series, I had no trouble getting into the story. I found the dialogue a bit stilted at first, but soon let that go. Great characters solid engaging plot.

message 16: by Sherry (last edited Oct 22, 2010 08:35PM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #32. King Henry IV, Part 1 by William Shakespeare This is a re-read. But it's been quite awhile. Many years in fact. I enjoyed in particular the characters of Hotspur and Falstaff. I was reminded of one of Falstaff's famous quotes: "The better part of valor is discretion." I've heard it all my life, and had forgotten that it is his quote. However, I've heard it said slightly differently, "Discretion is the better part of valor."

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments I wanted to put my husband's book, 10 Days Ago, on "currently reading." But, alas since it isn't published and has only 10 pages (10 really good ones, I might add) so far, it doesn't count. I laughed on every page and it's a crime thriller. He has a great sense of humor. More on this, later.

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments # 33. The Priest's Madonna by Amy Hassinger Well researched and well written this book tells two stories, both based in historical record, simultaneously. Amy Hassinger expands the true story of Marie, a young girl from Rennes France who becomes the life-long housekeeper and consort to a priest into the story of a complex intelligent young woman searching for knowledge and faith in the late 19th century. Nestled inside this story is the legend of Mary Magdelene and her relationship to Jesus.

message 19: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments # 34. In the Kingdom of Mists by Jane Jakeman I gave this 4 stars because I enjoyed the construction. Each character is carefully and skillfully introduced, starting with Claude Monet as he paints the Thames from the Savoy Hotel. We seem to go into his painting to see beneath the impressions in paint to London of 1900. We go into the grimy industrial fog, that creates such color on canvas and hides cruelty and betrayal. Above his room is a make-shift military hospital, where a serial killer lurks. The only thing that almost made this a 3 instead of a 4 was the slightly abrupt ending.

message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments I hoped I would have #35 by now, but alas I opened a musical I directed last night and my reading time was severely cut! Maybe I'll make it 50 by years end -- only 16 books to go! (ouch!)

message 21: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Finally #35. Crossing Washington Square by Joanne Rendell I enjoyed this book. Rendell uses a rather standard romance structure of "oil and water" characters and applies it to a friendship between two women. The relationships they have with their men take a back seat.

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #36. The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat This is an extremely well-written book. A series of short stories around one family explores the lives of Haitian expatriates in NYC. Dew Breaker is an important book, because it can help us understand and appreciate the rich diversity of this country.

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments I have now posted a photo of my crocheted curtains in the photo section of this group! Thanks to all who were so sweetly interested.

message 24: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments We have a photo section? Learn something new every day....

message 25: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments I know! I was shocked -- but happy!

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments # 37. I Am a Man by Joe Starita Another very important book. The story of the Ponca Chief Standing Bear who took the United States government to court in the 1870's and won. It's very well written and has a court room scene that kept me glued to the page.

message 27: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #38. Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon I enjoyed the story. Great entertainment.

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 146 comments Sherry wrote: "#38. Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon I enjoyed the story. Great entertainment."

I agree! I never thought it would be so great. I love Jamie!

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments He is a great character.

message 30: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #39. The Montefeltro Conspiracy A Renaissance Mystery Decoded by Marcello Simonetta This is obviously a well-researched and well done book. I give it only three stars because I had trouble retaining the sheer density of information. Although I am hard pressed to recall detail, my appreciation for the Italian settings of some of Shakespeare's plays, particularily Romeo and Juliet and The Tempest is deepened.

message 31: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Okay, 11 books in December -- can I do it? I don't know.

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments # 40 A River in the Sky (An Amelia Peabody Mystery, #19) by Elizabeth Peters Well I broke 40, only 10 books in 2 weeks! Can I do it? We'll see. A River in the Sky is a fun book in the Peabody series by Elizabeth peters. More from her wonderful couple of married archeologists, and sleuths who always manage to find themselves involved in a crime while pursuing their passion of archeology. Witty and fast paced.

message 33: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments # 41. The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno A Novel by Ellen Bryson I really enjoyed this book. Bartholomew Fortuno is a very impressive debut novel. If you liked Confederacy of Dunces, Water For Elephants, Geek Love, or middlesex, you will love this book. It takes the reader into the P.T. Barnum Museum of 1865 and the lives of the "curiosities" who are displayed therein. Full of heart and understanding.

message 34: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #42. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott I read this again after many many years because I will direct the musical this spring. It's a very difficult book to make into a musical because it is essentially a series of stories about the four women. There is no plot as such, except the struggle to wait at home while their father is away at war. Strong enough for a book, but difficult for a musical. However the spirit and the characters are timeless, that's what I want to capture.

message 35: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #43. Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio This is the last book of 2010. 43 is my number -- 7 short of 50. It's definitely a personal best. Next year I think I can make it to 50. It's a goal and a New Year's resolution. Icy Sparks is a wonderful book. Another in the group I call "important." Important in that they give me a glimpse of a part of life with which I am relatively unfamiliar. Icy Sparks is a beautiful in depth view of the world of Turetts. I was moved to tears and laughed out loud many times. A very good way to end the year.

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments I successfully changed my title to 2011 -- Happy New Year to all and good reading!

message 37: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments # 1. in 2011. The Hunger Games The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins A great way to start with a book that moves so fast, it practically reads itself. It's a gripping story with compelling protagonists. I see now why this series is so popular. I'm already deeply into the second book.

message 38: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #44 of 2010! Air Apparent Air Apparent (Xanth, #31) by Piers Anthony I finished this January of 2010. So one more I had forgotten in the early months of 2010 before I joined this group. It was an okay book but not great. Nothing like his immortality books.

message 39: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #2. of 2011. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins An awesome book, a sequel that exceeds expectations left by the last book. I'm into Mockingjay already.

message 40: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 775 comments Sherry wrote: "#42.Little Women by Louisa May Alcott I read this again after many many years because I will direct the musical this spring. It's a very difficult book to make into a musical because it is essentially..."

I'd love to see this musical. Good luck!

message 41: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 775 comments Sherry wrote: "#44 of 2010! Air ApparentAir Apparent (Xanth, #31) by Piers AnthonyI finished this January of 2010. So one more I had forgotten in the early months of 2010 before I joined this group. It was a..."

Congratulations! 44 books is great!

message 42: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Readerann wrote: "Sherry wrote: "#42.Little Women by Louisa May Alcott I read this again after many many years because I will direct the musical this spring. It's a very difficult book to make into a musical because it..."

Thanks, I look forward to working on it.

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #3 Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Wow, this did not disappoint. The whole series is amazing. I definitely recommend it! I give it 5 stars.

message 44: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #4. The Cassandra Compact (Covert-One, #2) by Robert Ludlum This book had the misfortune of following the Hunger Games series. In comparison it is a well-done cookie cutter mystery thriller. I certainly liked it, but it seemed very predictable and formulaic after the intensity and originality of The Hunger Games. I give it three stars.

message 45: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #5. Little Women, The Musical. No way I can put a book cover on this because it's published by Musical Theatre International and therefore no one reads it unless they license the rights to perform it. So I've read the libretto and score several times because I will direct it this Spring. The adaptors did a good job of putting the spirit of Little Women in a musical version. They have Beth die in this version. She doesn't in the first book -- she does in a later book. But it still referents the stories of the Little Women. I think we'll have a lot of fun with it. Little Women Vocal Selections by Mindi Dickstein I decided to put the only thing that is published of this work.

message 46: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) Sherry wrote: "#5. Little Women, The Musical. No way I can put a book cover on this because it's published by Musical Theatre International and therefore no one reads it unless they license the rights to perform..."

I saw this (or something close to it) a few years ago on Broadway with Sutton Foster playing Jo. I can't remember any of the songs but it was enjoyable. Good luck with the show!

message 47: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments Sherry wrote: "#4. The Cassandra Compact (Covert-One, #2) by Robert Ludlum This book had the misfortune of following the Hunger Games series. In comparison it is a well-done cookie cutter mystery thriller. I certainly liked it..."

That's so funny Sherry - I had a hard time finding any books that compared with the fast-paced, good read of The Hunger Games as well. However, I did enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse series. Have you read any of those? They are by Chalaine Harris. Really quick reads. If you like True Blood on HBO the series is based on these books.

message 48: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Daphne wrote: "Sherry wrote: "#5. Little Women, The Musical. No way I can put a book cover on this because it's published by Musical Theatre International and therefore no one reads it unless they license the ri..."
That's the version we're doing. They do a good job with a daunting task. I think the outcome will be very enjoyable. The music is good, but not much of it really sticks in the long run, probably.

message 49: by Sherry (last edited Dec 07, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments #6. Maids of honor by Joan Casademont this is a play selected for the end of the year project for my students. It's a solid play. I give it three stars. The story takes place at the wedding of the oldest of three sisters, who is a local talk show host celebrity. The youngest sister discovers that the man she plans to marry is a crook. The sisters try to convince her not to marry this man. All the sisters have trouble with relationships because of their father's abusive behavior towards them and their mother.Maids of honor

message 50: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments I really don't believe there's any version of Little Women wherein Beth does not die.

Rose

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7