Akins AP Lang and Comp - Hollis 4 discussion

Scarlet Letter Second Week Response

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leona (new)

Leona Lopez | 9 comments For whoever has gotten to Chapter Seven, I have a question, if everyone thinks that Hester is so bad like such a creature of the devil then why are people, more in particular the Governor buying items from her?

message 2: by Joey (new)

Joey Slavik | 18 comments Leona wrote: "For whoever has gotten to Chapter Seven, I have a question, if everyone thinks that Hester is so bad like such a creature of the devil then why are people, more in particular the Governor buying it..."

I think that the Governor was really just using that as an excuse to get Hester and her daughter, Pearl, into his home because they wanted to take Pearl away from Hester because they think she is evil and an unfit mother.

message 3: by Christa (new)

Christa | 12 comments Leona wrote: "For whoever has gotten to Chapter Seven, I have a question, if everyone thinks that Hester is so bad like such a creature of the devil then why are people, more in particular the Governor buying it..."

Everyone bought things from her bacause of her talent of embrorderie and sewing. Just because they looked down on her doesnt mean they cant buy things from her, and besiides that was probably one of the only ways she could make money-- They could special order dresses, gloves, baby clothes, and anything else they wanted. They didnt have to socialize with her to do buisness with her.

message 4: by Christa (new)

Christa | 12 comments Why were Roger Chillingworth, and the minister, Dimmesdale,such good friends-- or they seemed to be?

message 5: by Johan (new)

Johan Gonzalez | 16 comments Why is Chillingworth so set on watching over Dimmesdale and finding out if something happened between him and Hester? It seems like their is a connection between the two and Chillingworth is obsessing over trying to find out what that is.

message 6: by Christa (new)

Christa | 12 comments Johan wrote: "Why is Chillingworth so set on watching over Dimmesdale and finding out if something happened between him and Hester? It seems like their is a connection between the two and Chillingworth is obsess..."

I dont feel like he was obsessing, i think they were just close because Chillingworth was always seeing Dimmesdale as a patient since he was so fraile and twisted- and had a heart condition.. that they were friends of some sort.

message 7: by Joey (new)

Joey Slavik | 18 comments Christa wrote: "Why were Roger Chillingworth, and the minister, Dimmesdale,such good friends-- or they seemed to be?"

I think that they aren't good friedns just right away, but having spent so much time together because Mr. Chillingworth is a doctor and Mr. Dimmesdale has the trouble with his heart, which led to them becoming good friends because they got to know eachother

message 8: by Joelmarin (new)

Joelmarin | 7 comments How is scarlet letter and Pearl alike?

message 9: by Joey (new)

Joey Slavik | 18 comments Joelmarin wrote: "How is scarlet letter and Pearl alike?"

The scarlet letter is the representation of Hester's sin, and Pearl is kind of like the embodyment of her sin I think.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Valdez | 3 comments Joelmarin wrote: "How is scarlet letter and Pearl alike?"

The Scarlet letter (her punishment) symbolizes and shows everyone the she committed adultry (the A) but in the same way pearl shows the result of her adultry being her daughter.. So they both basicly represent her adultry.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Valdez | 3 comments Leona wrote: "For whoever has gotten to Chapter Seven, I have a question, if everyone thinks that Hester is so bad like such a creature of the devil then why are people, more in particular the Governor buying it..."

Well i think that Hester had such an amazing talent that her customers didn't really care about what type of person she was as long as they got what they wanted(her clothing and works of embroidery). I'm sure they had some doubts of whether or not to buy specifically from her. But that's the point, they're just "buying" from her which doesn't necessarily mean they had to associate themselves with her, become her friend, become acquaintances, or even communicate that much.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian Oxford | 4 comments Christa wrote: "Why were Roger Chillingworth, and the minister, Dimmesdale,such good friends-- or they seemed to be?"

the idea of their "friendship" stems from how the minister's condition was so chronic that he decided to invite the doctor of the town, Roger Chillingsworth, to live in his home for around-the-clock care. All of their conversations are situated in a manner quite like two educated men, but the minister seems to be more in tune with the social and emotional sides of people, while the doctor seems to be more acquainted with his predispositions of people and their physical side. So, in consequence, the friendship that is between them is predominately for convenience, since, in most cases, the minister never hears what he wants from the doctor, or vice-versa for that matter.

message 13: by Frank (new)

Frank Gutierrez | 5 comments At the end of Chapter 10, what does Roger Chillingworth find on Dimmesdale's chest? Is it something similar to the scarlet letter?