Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) Clockwork Angel discussion

Clockwork Angel: Prequel or Reboot or What on earth?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (last edited Sep 07, 2010 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lucy The Mortal Instruments series was to me a 'hidden world' series. It existed right beside our own and normal people were neither aware of it nor really capable of interacting it unless something on the inside pushed our involvement. Other hidden world series, to use as examples, would be Harry Potter and The Demon's Lexicon, even Twilight, Evermore, and the Mercy Falls Wolves series.

There books set in possible 'future worlds' like Scott Westerfeld's Uglies and Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games. (Westerfeld's Peeps is another example of 'hidden world' books, as is Collins' Gregor series.) They're based on our world and then events occur to change our projected futures, making those worlds the future.

Then there's an alternate universe, where the structure of the world as we know it is altered completely and whatever magical thing going on is actually quite common place. Think of Holly Black's White Cat book where curse work is ingrained in American history. (It's a wonderfully creative book.)

For me Steampunk is an 'alternate universe.' It's the tweaking of the Victorian era and would therefore lead to an alternate future... So how is the prequel to a Hidden World series, like the Mortal Instruments, suddenly set in an alternate world universe.

Am I the only one totally appalled by the lazy, lazy world building? The moment I realized that the Steampunk wasn't going to be magically based by definite alternate universe, people off the street know about this, stuff I couldn't enjoy the book in the slightest.

I've always had the feeling that Cassandra Clare mixed elements of really amazing books to turn out mediocre knock offs, but this really went too far. She totally destroyed the foundation she began with in The Mortal Instruments... how the hell did her editors and publisher and her agents let her think this was okay? Why aren't the readers more upset about this? I fear most are too charmed by the story to really think about what just happened. There will be a backlash eventually or so I really hope because I can't believe I'm the only one utterly aghast by it.

Jade Morgan As someone who has read all of them more than once I don't see how she destroyed her base. Though you're entitled to that opinion.

The secret world that the Shadow Hunters live in is more vast than just what is shown in Mortal Instruments. I think perhaps it is a bit of a shock, but not everything in their world has ancient religious undertones and perhaps that skewed the world you saw in your head.

It may not have been what I was expecting, but its not like she has people going around in flying cars. She is expanding the base not changing it, by allowing us to see what goes on in another part of the world in another time. In fact if anything it reveals more of the true Shadow Hunters that aren't disenchanted and broken by Valentine's Circle and his intentions.

When you put humans and magic together, you can't complain when there is a flying necklace that has mechanisms in it. If you don't mind the Seraph blades than you can't complain about a mechanical woman. Think about it. How can they do these things? Okay as Alec said, it's not magic. But the people creating these things are using Magic. Magic merging with Tech. Is inevitable.

Well that's in my opinion anyway.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist I think personally that your way of saying you didn't like this book makes others who like it sound wonky because they like it.

Lucy It's lazy writing. People can like lazy writing or lazy cake baking, but liking it doesn't make it any less lazy. I bake lazy cakes, meaning they come out of a box and I crack a couple of eggs.

These books mess with the mythos of a series that was supposed to be complete, meaning you know most of the parameters. Whatever. It doesn't trouble me. The characters are rinse and reuses from her fanfic and the original series. I'm just calling a spade a spade when I call it lazy.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist I like it. End of discussion.

message 6: by Jade (last edited Apr 08, 2011 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade Morgan It doesn't matter. You have a right not to like it. Thank you for voicing it so that we could come together to discuss it. That's what the point of this site is..... isn't it?

Sophia ^^
Yes right...
I really like it BUT if you don't its ok other opinions are always good, I guess!

Nurlely I love Clockwork Angel. It is true that I wanted to read it because I am so in love with Mortal Instruments, particularly Jace. After reading it, I instantly fell for William Herondale. His dark character (darker than Jace) is so intriguing. Love Jace and Will!

GhostlyAspect I agree about the lazy world building, I would say the story and the world are very weak and childish (I think Disney had a cartoon with a mechanical queen at some point, some what the same, the mechanical queen robot to take over England;).
CA is fun not because of the story, but because of the characters the writer creates and the relationships between them.
If you are looking for a cool, clever story and a fantastic world, in my opinion, CA is not the book to read ;)

message 10: by GSGS (last edited Apr 27, 2011 01:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

GSGS CA is basically just MI set somewhere else, with
*SPOILER* Mortmain and random-impossible-clockwork-robotic-things vs Clave instead of Valentine vs Clave.

That being said, I was glad at least that Clare cut out some of her long-winded descriptions (eg: describing the taste of an apple as 'green and crisp' -- how does something TASTE GREEN? anyhow) and dumb characters who are flatter than paper. At least this time, I actually liked the characters. In particular, Charlotte and Henry. Finally, Clare doesn't create a character that fits in with a stereotype. That being, 'dumb heroine', 'bad-ass hero', 'bad-ass' sidekick ', 'b****', 'eccentric wizard/warlock' and 'father figure who actually has a secret '.
I'm sure we can all fit MI characters in here (if not, you aren't the most perceptive reader, and here are the answers: Clary, Jace, Alec, Isabelle, Magnus Bane, Luke.

Anyhow, I think that Clare has FINAAAAAAAAALLLY broken that mould, which is fantastic.

But anyway, I'm rambling now.

Carole My problem with clockwork angel wasn't the world building, or "lazy" writing. I thought the entire story was a rehash of the MI series, even the twists and betrayals that occurred in CA were the same as in MI. That was what annoyed me the most. The rest I liked, and if I hadn't read MI I would have liked CA.

Racheal Renwick I agree that it seems you just wanted to bash the book, and possibly the author, whether it was your intention to or not. I agree that the characters and their relationships were rehashed so to speak from The City of Bones, but it was different as far as the set up goes. I liked the idea of clockwork creatures, and found it intriguing in fact. I liked the book, and I have enjoyed all the books thus far. But I do agree that if you were just looking for a bashing page, then <---^HERE^---> wasn't the best choice. This is a discussion page, not a haters page.

message 13: by Lucy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lucy Yes, it's a discussion page. NOT a mindless fangirl page. Thinking a book is written lazily and with half the author's heart is not hating. Really of all the nonsense. This is not a Cassandra Clare fangirl site. It's a book discussion site. If you can't deal with other people disliking a book stick with the positive only reviews. Don't you dare tell me I don't have a right to say how I felt about a book I didn't like.

Kttwin Everley Carstairs, the forgotten Shadowhunter wrote: "I think personally that your way of saying you didn't like this book makes others who like it sound wonky because they like it."

i think the writing wasn't lazy and how is this so she went back and explaned what happned in a prior era

percabeth WOW those are a lot of long comments, their like a paragraph!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I really liked Clockwork Angel. I loved the world that it was set in, and I really enjoyed getting to learn more about Shadowhunters and whatnot. And Jem was freaking fantastic!! !

percabeth ikr! i feel bad for jem though :(

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! He was always so optimistic, even though he had that AWFUL disease thing. It was so sad. He was by far my favorite character in the whole book.

percabeth ikr! i hope tessa finally sees that he likes her in the next book!

Maddie I really enjoyed this book although I found it quite similar. Jem and Alec both have something "wrong" with them (not suggesting that being gay is bad in real life society) and Will and Jace both have the same dry sarcastic wit, although they are related so I can see where that comes from. I think it works well as a prequel as well as piquing peoples interest in The Mortal Instruments series.

Molly My biggest problem with this book is that this book is a prequel, the clock work technology is a pretty big thing in the book both in and out of the Shadowhunter world, but in MI we don't see any evidence that clockwork technology at all. This guy had functioning killbots that zipped around and even spoke! How does this advanced technology not have the slightest bit of influence on technology in the MI time period?

Also, Clare's attempt to make the dialogue match the setting were painful to read.

Yasmeen Hmm..i liked CA and cant wait for CP ..but like Molly said Clare mentioned NOTHING about the clockworks and stuff and i think she should've..

Well, we cant really change anything now so we can just sit and wait for CP and be like"Please dont kill Jem<3"

message 23: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza I liked CA, but I never thought this book as steampunk. Maybe steampunk elements due to the automatons?

I don't think she meant this to be steampunk, because it would undo TMI. However, if she's marketing this book as steampunk, it's probably done for enterprising reasons. :)