Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Was Jane Austen a Popular Novelist?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lev (new)

Lev Raphael | 13 comments The answer in my blog on The Huffington Post might surprise you:

http://tiny.cc/echzt

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes this is true, it seems that authors of that day were noteworthy after their death. Look at all the autobiographical books on famous authors in any bookstore.

message 3: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
And early on, did Colin Firth know his life would be so intertwined with Austen's one day?

message 4: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I was reading a couple of articles too that just reminded me of the ordinariness of Austen's life. What went on inside her mind must have been amazing, but she endured the very regular and mundane from what we know.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes, to know that while you are living you are slogging away like everyone else, but she came from a quite educated background, from what I have read. She went to Bath, and so she didn't lead a very shabby existence. But her brilliance and wit will forever be remarked about in the years to come if more people read her and they should.

message 6: by Lev (new)

Lev Raphael | 13 comments Robin wrote: "Yes this is true, it seems that authors of that day were noteworthy after their death. Look at all the autobiographical books on famous authors in any bookstore."

Actually, that's not quite the case. Check out my blog about this question on The Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lev-rap...

Ann Radcliffe and Fanny Burney were quite famous, as were Sir Walter Scott and Lord Byron to mention just four authors of her period or just before.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Okay read your blog, she was read by the elite, not the masses, and she became popular after her death, isn't that what I wrote?