Talk-A-Lot! discussion

YA books (Young Adults)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rivkah (new)

Rivkah (HungerGamesmovieonthe23ofMarch) | 44 comments Mod
I was surprised that the Hunger Games was in my elementary school! It's on YA at my library!

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahmarie43) That's a bit too violent for elementary school...

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pookasluagh) Well if you think about it, you leave fifth grade at age 11, if you haven't been held back. There are kids in elementary school who are 11, 12, 13 years old. Those kids might very well want to read The Hunger Games and I don't think it's inappropraite for them. For an 8 year old, yes, but elementary encompasses a huge age range.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahmarie43) True, true. I was just saying that because I was in 8th grade when I read it, and I was a bit taken aback at the amount of violence and killing in the book. I loved it, but it is defentially not for the quesey(sp?)

message 5: by Rivkah (new)

yep

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pookasluagh) Yeah...I think I'm probably a lot older than most of the group, lol! I read The Hunger Games for the first time when I was 30. My oldest son is in fourth grade. :D He really wants to read The Hunger Games now, but he's too young for it!

message 7: by Rivkah (new)

How did you find that book?

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pookasluagh) YA is everywhere right now and I have a friend who is a YA librarian. I've read tons of YA. As well as tons of classics. I have very odd tastes. :D

message 9: by Rivkah (new)

And was it in Young Adults?
I think there trying to make a movie rated pg 13!
That'd be hard

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pookasluagh) I don't think I could stomach a movie. That's far more visceral and I don't do well with violence on screen. Plus, I love the books too much to want to see them changed up for a movie version.

message 11: by Rivkah (new)

You've read the book to? Wow! The whole series?

message 12: by Rivkah (new)

Some books that I like are Birthmarked and Matched. Both of the books beforehand I was skeptical of, but are both 5/5 stars. Now I'm waiting for the next one in both series!

Have any of you read books like this? In birthmarked, (Spoiler) it said that either the guard or the interrogation officer or both, I forget, were kind to her. The book, which I have just finished writing, has a bit about a kind interrogation officer. I think my subconscious uses many ideas from books that I've read. Sort of improving books.

I defiantly recommended Birth marked and Matched. They are both futuristic and sort of dystopia-ish. But Matched has a slightly slower/confusing ending. *it was not just about romance, as I was worried about.

Both these book would make good movies.

message 13: by Rivkah (new)

Has anyone read the book "graceling" by Kristin Cashore? it has something like super powers, people have "graces"

The two main characters, Katsa and Po remind me of the hunger games characters Katniss and Peeta. Anyone else feel that connection?