Special Educators discussion

Who do you teach?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Renee | 10 comments Mod
I am an Itinerant Early Intervention Special Education teacher in Pennsylvania. I work with 3 to 5 year olds in their preschool program. I've been working with this population for about 8 years. I'm always looking for books that will hold a child's interest and motivate them to explore their environment.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 10 comments I work with students with learning disabilities in grades 1-12 in Michigan. I have worked with this population also for about 8 years and taught reg ed for a few years before that. I love my work now though - never a boring day!! :)

I teach history using novels and have a few language labs for reading/writing/speaking, etc.... I also have two daughters who are 4 and 6 and my 6 year old is now a super reader, but struggles with sensory integration and auditory processing. I will "quiz" them tomorrow about some of their faves and check out their shelves.

message 3: by Renee (last edited Feb 24, 2008 05:18PM) (new)

Renee | 10 comments Mod
Welcome Ldtchr!

I apologize for the delay! I am very excited to meet you!

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wednesdayorleans) My background is in Early Childhood (mostly PreK), but I am currently working with an 8 year old boy who has Cerebral Palsy and has been diagnosed PDD. My title is Habilitation Technician, but I will soon be employed with the Autism Society of NC as a Community Skills Instructor with the same boy.

The Special Needs area is new to me, but I am planning on returning to college for a certificate in it. I would like to get more into Early Intervention, and having a daughter that was 11 weeks premature got me interested. Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated!!

In NC, most Early Intervention jobs require B-K Licensure, so I have some work ahead of me!

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee | 10 comments Mod
Welcome Wendy!

Your title is a new one for me! What exactly do you do with your student?

Early Intervention is a huge movement in our country. This is the time where intervention can make all the difference for a challenged child. I taught in my local high school for a few years (after a brief time with the county's Early Intervention progrsm) in the Resource Room and realized that half my students wouldn't have qualifed for the most restrictive environment if they were involved in Early Intervention programming.

Good luck to you Wendy in all your endeavors!

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wednesdayorleans) The boy I work with uses CAP MR/DD (Community Alternatives Program for persons with Mental Retardation/Developmental Disabilities) under Medicaid because he is homeschooled. He had a 1:1 worker in public schools, but the worker was always being pulled to drive a bus or shaperone a field trip etc. He did not get the attention he needed. From what I understand, he had to be at risk for institutionalization in order to qualify for CAP services.

As a Community Skills Instructor with the Autism Society, my job is "to provide instruction, support, and supervision to participants to teach appropriate skills and behaviors for maximum involvement and success in the community." I help him work on the goals from his Plan of Care that fall under Home & Community Supports by Medicaid definition.

Some of the things I do include: reading for comprehension, functional use of spelling words, appropriate interactions in the community, and general communication skills. He also has several goals related to his Cerebral Palsy, such as using a walker and special needs bike.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 10 comments Hi Renee,
I just read a neat one with my kids that I took into school for our elementary class. Turns out it was based on some new characters on Disney Channel, sisters I think, but I got it for the alligator. ugh, just lost the name of it. I will look it up for you though. Something about I am An Alligator and the younger sister has an alligator costume she wears everywhere. She has to do a presentation at school about herself and her older sister is trying to get her to not wear the costume. When the little one does her presentation, she does wear it, but she explains that she loves to dress up because she can be whatever she wants to be, gives a few examples (I used to dress as...) and gives a maybe next I will be too.

I have a 3rd grader in love with reptiles so I brought it because it reminded me of him (they knew they were important enough for me to think of them outside of school and that books could be connected to him), one of the younger students could finally read it by herself and she LOVES to dress up, and she worked with first, now and next :). I will try to find the name for you now!

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wednesdayorleans) Although I think your comment is in the wrong category... Renee, was that book about Charlie & Lola? They are wonderful! It started as a book series by the same author as Clarice Bean, which is for older children. Now there's a cartoon on Disney.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (smolf84) I am a Montessori elementary teacher (ages 6 to 12). I just upgraded to my masters in education where I took a couple courses on special ed and really want to get involved with special ed eventually. Also, in August I am going to start tutoring a boy with ADHD and Developmental Coordination Disorder.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wednesdayorleans) Renee, I love your X-Files icon.

Welcome to everyone else! I don't come here as often as I'd like, but I'll be returning to college soon. I'm sure I'll have more to post about!

message 11: by Stacy (new)

Stacy White | 2 comments Hi! I'm the newbie, Stacy. I am SO excited to find a group of speducators who love reading as much as I do. What are yall reading right now?

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy White | 2 comments More about what I do. I've worked as an ABA therapist for several years. Since then, I have worked with 12-21 severe/profound. I LOVE IT! This year I will be working with 3-4 developmentally delayed. This is a new one for me. Got any good book ideas?

message 13: by Janette (new)

Janette (mzznettie) | 2 comments Hi! I thought it was about time I introduced myself, having joined this group a few weeks ago. I provide mental health services to special education students in grades 7-12. Most of them qualify for services under EBD, however I also work with some students who have autism, learning disorders, and developmental delays. A few years ago one of the teachers and I started co-teaching a language arts class focusing on novels and poetry dealing with mental health issues. It was a hit and now I do it with several classes. I also use literature a lot in my individual and group work with students.

Nice to meet you all!

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee | 10 comments Mod
Hi Janette!

Your class sounds wonderful! When I was teaching in the resource room at my local high school, I used poetry, creative writing and classics (i.e. Cyrano de Bergerac)with my students to start discussions as well as work on their writing skills. I was amazed with their work - both written and verbal! Keep us posted!

Renee

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1 comments Hi! New today. I teach 12-18 yr old boys with autism. For others working with teenagers having ASD and similar abilities, I was wondering if you feel a big push to use age appropriate books and leisure items (toys)? At the school where I teach (school exclusively for children with autism), I often hear other teachers from other class rooms stating how they would rather their students have age appropriate items/books to engage with which to engage. However, I work with teenagers who are not really interested in age appropriate items or books and would rather be read Dr Seuss or engage with Playskool toys. How have others handled this?

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Piutau (piutau) | 1 comments Hello! I'm a pull-out special ed teacher (LRC-1). My endorsement covers P-12. I'm currently teaching at an elementary school K-6. I have also taught middle school (6-8). I love, love, love my job! I'm always on the look-out for great books for my students and also for myself. :) I live in the seattle suburb of Renton and teach in SeaTac. I'm looking for more books with characters that have or discuss SLD and/or OHI.

message 17: by Kate (last edited Mar 03, 2009 06:20PM) (new)

Kate (oregonkate) | 4 comments I am a speech pathologist in Oregon, who works with k-12 in both public schools and a charter school. My kids abilities range from rather low to a few tag kids. I know I have the worlds best job and my students all know that they can be what ever they want to be when they grow up, yes I may have a future President in my group!

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kate wrote: "Hi! New today. I teach 12-18 yr old boys with autism. For others working with teenagers having ASD and similar abilities, I was wondering if you feel a big push to use age appropriate books and lei..."

I teach at the middle school level -- ages 11-14. Most of my students are autistic. I do try to select reading materials based on age-appropriate interests written closer to cognitive ability. I use lots of elementary chapter books and higher level picture books. I try to use books with people, not cutesy talking animals, who are dealing with real life issues.

message 19: by Krista (new)

Krista Breen (kristamichellebreen) | 1 comments Hey there! I live near Toronto, Canada and teach at a private learning centre that offers programming with horses and animals to a wide range of individuals with special needs. Kids with autism are great with horses, boys with CP love to ride fast and parents cry here every day. I like when the big, firefighter dads cry.

I also write horse mysteries for middle readers. Not about special needs kids, that's kinda too much like work. Have 6 titles in my series. I write old fashioned horse books, like Walter Farley or Marguerite Henry. Stuff I couldn't get enough of as a kid.

Will happily give out copies of the first book in the series to any classroom, just send me a message.

Love to chat about work or writing.

message 20: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinaraysaulis) | 1 comments I work as a one-on-one direct aid to two 5 year olds, one has autism and the other has autism and is sight impaired. I'm looking for good books on working with blind children. Any suggestions?

message 21: by Jane (new)

Jane (janieness) | 5 comments I have been a substitute teacher for six years; 2 yrs in Gwinnett Co. GA, and 4 yrs in Johnson Co. KS. I have taught all ages of exceptional kids, including Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Dual Sensory(Deaf and Blind), LD, BD, ED, and Lifeskills mostly at the elementary but occasionally on the middle school and high school levels. My original bachelor's is English Lit. I completed a program for teacher licensure in May and began my masters at the University of KS about a year and a half ago. I was just hired 3 weeks ago to teach in a resource room/learning center in Kansas City. I will be teaching 3rd and 4th graders reading, language arts, math, and some science and social studies intervention as well as a few behavior situations. I'm very excited to have my own classroom and would love any advice from this forum. So glad I found you all! Thanks for starting this group!

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 2 comments Hi all! I joined Goodreads not too long ago and just thought to search for a group that would also serve as a resource for work!

I am an early childhood special education teacher in Michigan through Early On (which is our 0-3 year old program). I work with the children at home visits, and it is a very family centered approach! Currently I am interested in trying to learn about how to teach children through the family, establishing routines in the household, and attachment.