The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > Dragon*Con with David Gerrold - The S&L Podcast #41

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1664 comments Mod
New episode is up!

Thanks to everyone who came out for the live show! We're also going to have t-shirts available for sale online soon, for everyone who couldn't be there!

Topics:
David Gerrold
The Trouble with Tribbles
The Martian Child

message 2: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Stoessel (vinny2020) | 36 comments Very cool, Even though I was there, I'm listening to it again. I look forward to picking up Mr Gerrold's Jumping Off The Planet

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments That was more interesting than I expected. :) Here's the Star Trek Phase II videos he mentioned:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/epi...

How are his books?

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Not a bad episode but I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to the normal format. :) Really looking forward to the next book selection and wrapping up TMIAHM. ;)

message 5: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1664 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "Not a bad episode but I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to the normal format. :) Really looking forward to the next book selection and wrapping up TMIAHM. ;)"

Hint, hint.

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill (billymac) Cool, I'll check it out when I get home. I hope he has news on his War Against the Chtorr series!

message 7: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Yep - it's mentioned on the podcast too.

message 8: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1145 comments Mod
I was overwhelmed with the folks at Dragon*Con. Y'all are awesome and it was such a trip to see everyone who was wearing Sword and Laser t-shirts.

I was a little nervous meeting David Gerrold. He seemed to be a bit aloof pre-show. But afterwards he said if he could ever do anything for us again to let him know. So I guess he enjoyed it.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments Wow, as a listener, I almost turned it off because that guy was awkward! Then he warmed up to the idea of being the center of attention, and just became grating. Ah well. You guys were champs dealing with him and trying to steer the conversation to the interesting bits.

Luckily I'm not one to dismiss someone's work based on their personality, and some of his books sounded interesting, I may have to check them out.

So to make up for me being overly honest, hey, do you have pics from the meetup or the live podcast? Since I couldn't make it, I'd love to see!

message 10: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Jenny wrote: " Wow, as a listener, I almost turned it off because that guy was awkward! Then he warmed up to the idea of being the center of attention, and just became grating. Ah well. You guys were champs dealing with him and trying to steer the conversation to the interesting bits. "

Wow, I'm SOOO glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I didn't want to say anything (I know I can be a complete beeyatch at times), but I thought he came off as arrogant for most of the interview....but to me, I can't get past it. My reading list is long enough without adding him to it, so unless I manage to read down the pile, I don't think I'd be picking up his stuff (granted, I've always been more of a sword than a laser, don't care about Star Trek, and have never played Starcraft so maybe I'm just not the audience....).

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments I think it was the time travel and Heinlein-like-if-Heinlein-wrote-YA that sounded interesting.

message 12: by Halbot42 (last edited Sep 10, 2010 02:42PM) (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Wow, i guess that shows how subjective things are, i thought it was a great cast, absolutely loved the stories about star trek from back in the day, the spock-kirk-mccoy love triangle, etc. His insight into computer culture and the fact that in the 70s most people programmed their own apps and now for the majority of users they are boned if there's no app for that was well, insightful. Akward, grating, these words never came to mind. I was excited they asked my question, stoked that he liked it, and interested in the answer. He is very laser, i guess that might be the issue, but his work is great, if you dont like star trek there is a great alien invasion series called War against Chtorr i cant recommend enough, with one BIG caveat i have mentioned previously. The invasion is more a biological than technological one and very original. He did one or two books in the style of Heinlein YA(which he did wrightSpace Cadet) He also does a couple books of space opera The Voyage of the Star Wolf that feature badass modified humans called Morthans.
All in all, great podcast featuring a great writer, well done guys. You should make The War Against the Chtorr 1: A Matter For Men the next book for the club in thanks, id love to see more turned on to an excellent series.

message 13: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1145 comments Mod
It's interesting to see these varied reactions. We had almost no contact with David before the show. The way these cons work they book your author into the panel for you. We exchanged one email beforehand.

So I think he didn't know what to think of us. He certainly appeared nervous. And I got the impression he's been on a lot of panels that required him to suffer fools.

But over the course of the show I think he realized that we were knowledgable, committed geeks who really did have an appreciation for the genre, and some intelligence.

By the end of the panel he was very complimentary and offered to do anything for us anytime.

I know from experience it's very daunting to be thrown cold into a situation like this, especially in front of a big room of people.

It's Veronica and my job to keep reaching out to authors so they get to know us, and hopefully have heard of us before they come to an interview. Every one of these we do helps that.

But that's not to say all your feedback, positive and negative isn't invaluable. It definitely helps us to know who we might want to have back.

message 14: by George (new)

George Van Wagner (gvdub) | 26 comments I used to hang out at the LASFS (Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society), where David, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, John DeChancie and many other pros are members who also attend fairly regularly, and I've heard David talk both at the club and at cons many times. He gives great rant when given the opportunity. At Loscon, there's almost always a panel that's just David being David, and it's always an absolute hoot.

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments I just watched Star Trek Phase II episode 1 via DNA. Pretty cool mash-up of past episodes.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/epi...