Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Literature Prizes

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) We've posted about the Pulitzer and other awards. Perhaps it's time to have a folder where what we learn of Literature Prizes can be posted.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Article about the 2010 Man Booker Prize shortlist.

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news...

Elizabeth (Alaska) The 2010 long list for Scotia Bank Giller Prize (for Canadian authors) was posted yesterday.

http://sgptest.devlin.ca/longlist.html

I haven't had a chance to look at any of them yet.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Thanks Elizabeth. These are always interesting, and a source for some good ideas that I might not have heard of.

message 5: by Urmilla (new)

Urmilla (urmilladeshpande) Here's the long list from a new Indian prize - my book is ninth on the list!! (I didn't win)
http://www.asiawrites.org/2010/05/73-...

message 6: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I always like to look at these lists for ideas and new authors. Thanks

Elizabeth (Alaska) The winners are to be announced tonight, but here's the short list of nominees.

http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2010.html

message 9: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Nov 17, 2010 10:23AM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I just finished Great House and have Parrot and Olivier in America up next on my TBR shelf.

Thank you!

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Marialyce wrote: "I just finished Great House and have Parrot and Olivier in America up next on my TBR shelf.

Thank you!"

I have this book on my shelf too. Have you read Democracy in America?

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) No, I haven't yet.

message 12: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Marialyce wrote: "No, I haven't yet."

I read it about 25 years ago in high school. As I recall, the first half is primarily a travelogue of de Tocqueville's journey through America, the second is the political aspect. The main character in Parrot and Olivier is based on de Tocqueville.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Do you think I should read the one before other, Shay?

Elizabeth (Alaska) I've added Great House to my Wish List, and I have Parrot and Olivier from the library book sale.

message 15: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Marialyce wrote: "Do you think I should read the one before other, Shay?"

Hard to say. Democracy isn't bad for what it is. Meaning it's pretty interesting for a 200 year old ramble about practical political philosophy and a good glimpse into those times (through the travelogue). But, it's still 200 years old and probably not incredibly exciting. I'm leaning towards if Parrot and Olivier is really good, it will make you more inclined to read Democracy in America...so Parrot first.

message 16: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments Thanks for the post, Elizabeth, regarding the national book nominees. Have you read any on the list and were any worth a read?

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I've added Great House to my Wish List, and I have Parrot and Olivier from the library book sale."

You know I value your opinion, Shay. Thanks!

I really liked Great House, Elizabeth, although I know there are quite a few who didn't.

message 18: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments You're welcome, Marialyce. Also, I was thinking that one of the reasons I didn't enjoy Molokai was that I had too much knowledge about the history. So, maybe reading Democracy first, and right before, would diminish the experience. You'd start comparing the two too closely to see how well they "matched" and might not be able to just enjoy the book.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Tanja wrote: "Thanks for the post, Elizabeth, regarding the national book nominees. Have you read any on the list and were any worth a read?"

Not read any yet. What do we always say? So many books, so little time.

message 20: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 08, 2011 07:24AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) The 2011 Man Booker Short List was announced this week:

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news...

Has anyone read any of these?

Elizabeth (Alaska) And the Canadian Scotiabank Giller prize longlist was announced, also.

http://www.scotiabankgillerprize.ca/2...

Our own group member Genni Gunn is on this list!

message 22: by Ana (new)

Ana Hooray for Genni :) And congrats:)

message 23: by Viola (new)

Viola | 1014 comments @Elizabeth -- Not only have I not read any of these, I've not even heard of them! Did these get so little press or am I just out of the loop?

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Again, the only one I had heard of is The Sisters Brothers.

so I don't think you are out of the loop at all, Viola.

message 25: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 08, 2011 07:23AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I had heard of The Sisters Brothers, can't say why. Just this morning, in another group, someone was reading The Sense of an Ending, and, since I like Julian Barnes, I may pick that one up.

I think I'm always out of the loop. ;-)

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 208 comments I'm always more of a Booker Prize and National Book Award person than a Pulitzer or Nobel Prize person. I think I'm just too pedestrian, lol.

I'm a sci fi/fantasy junkie, so I go for The Hugo Awards and Nebula Awards

Elizabeth (Alaska) Michelle wrote: "I'm always more of a Booker Prize and National Book Award person than a Pulitzer or Nobel Prize person. I think I'm just too pedestrian, lol.

I'm a sci fi/fantasy junkie, so I go for The Hugo Awa..."

So have you read any of this year's Booker short list that I linked above?

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 208 comments So have you read any of this year's Booker short list that I linked above?

Not only have I *not* read any of them, I haven't even heard of any of them! Boy, am I out of the loop. Although Pigeon English and Jamrach's Menagerie both look very good.