The Black Tower discussion

Individual Books > The Towers of Midnight

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments Soon the release of The Towers of Midnight will be here. As far as I know it is scheduled to be released November 2. I can't wait to read it, and will probably lock myself away for a day or two to read it uninterrupted.

Has anybody seen the amazing trailer? Wow, I wish all trailers were made this well. Everybody involved did an outstanding job. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJJ0N...

message 2: by Walter (last edited Sep 08, 2010 04:13PM) (new)

Walter (boltwalt) | 38 comments Thank you for posting the link for the Trailer. I was unaware that trailers are being made for books I wonder when that practice first began? Moiraine is even better looking than I had imagined doubtless due to those dreadful book covers.

message 3: by April (new)

April Woosley | 1 comments I'm still on book two, so it's gonna be awhile until I'm ready for this one. And as far as they've been making trailers of books for a few years now. Mainly for YA books though, I think. The book covers are ok, the only thing keeping me from reading until now was I didn't think I'd be into high fantasy.

message 4: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments Anybody read Distinctions Prologue to Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan , the ToM prologue?

message 5: by Leilani (new)

Leilani (spanishviolet) | 2 comments I was tempted when I saw the announcement, but I'm trying to hold out like I did last time. I like diving into the new book all at once and not coming up until I'm done! (Or have to go earn a living, etc.)

message 6: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments Chapter one is out as well. I haven't read it yet. I can usually show restraint with these things in other books, but not for WoT. I have no will when it comes to it.

message 7: by John (new)

John (gigalew) | 6 comments Ive read the prologue, and chapter one. Chapter 7 is available on tor.com too, but I dont want to read it out of order.

message 8: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I read chapter 7 first. I think it is the first POV from that person so it has that beginning feel to it.

message 9: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte-) | 1 comments Anyone been able to get an answer as to when the ebook version of Towers of Midnight is coming out?

message 10: by Walter (last edited Nov 27, 2011 10:52AM) (new)

Walter (boltwalt) | 38 comments Charlotte wrote: "Anyone been able to get an answer as to when the ebook version of Towers of Midnight is coming out?"
No but I was hoping to get it on November 2. Amazon had listed the Kindle version as available on the book release date but now all mention of a Kindle version has vanished. I at first thought that it was because they wanted encourage people to by the prologue, but I am not sure of that and since they don't mention a Kindle version of the full book at all I am worried because I had planned to buy it.

message 11: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I think Harriet has the say on when the ebook comes out, and I guess she doesn't want it released for a while. At least I read something on Brandon's twitter page about that. I don't think they even have a cover designed for the ebook yet.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

message 12: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I have just over 100 to go. I love the book so far, but it is much different than TGS.

message 13: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I loved the book. I did find that some of the comments made by certain characters felt too modern. Also, even though the tone was lighter I felt some characters were just way too upbeat, especially Rand.

Also, the climaxes weren't as intense as in TGS or other previous books. I can except this as the whole book had a different feel to it and I feel it was necessary in order to get to Tarmon Gai'don.

There were tons of plots wrapped up in this one so we can get to The Last Battle. We had a lot of great reunions as well. There were some very disturbing revelations in this book. OMG, I was completely thrown by some of it. And I was cursing left and right. The prologue itself was just scary.

I can't wait until others finish. Some things I keep pondering over and over after reading are:

- Avi's trip through the ter'angreal. Wow, I am actually making notes on this because I have so many thoughts on what she saw.

- The Dark Prophesy. Seriously, it has me worried.

I can't say more without spoiling anything.

***SPOILER for Verin's letter to Mat***

Holy crap! I frakking knew Mat needed to open that stinking letter. OMG, Andor! I never saw that one coming. Wow.

message 14: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments About the modern comments. I know previously Brandon said that he would not copy R.J.'s style, but try to blend the two (or something similar). I wonder if that is part of the reason for this. I mean, Harriet is the editor, so wouldn't she pick up on this otherwise?

Don't get me wrong, I can be critical and pick things apart, but I still loved the book. I am happy that we have Brandon to finish this monstrous task.

I also love the fact that we have many more new things to theorize about after this book!

message 15: by Tejus (new)

Tejus | 3 comments Just finished reading the book. It was really good, Sanderson has done a great job in really moving the series along.
I do like how the author has managed to finally get Rand, Galad and Gawyn, behaving somewhat reasonably. He's also continued the trait of making every female character (with the exception of Min), for lack of a better word, horrible.
The only thing I was disappointed with was that the realtionship between Rand and Galad has still to be explored, and I have a distinct feeling that it will always like this. It would have been interesting though, especially since Galad is the leader of the whitecloaks...

message 16: by John (new)

John (gigalew) | 6 comments Awesome book. Tied up so many stories, yet gives us more questions to replace them. Red Aile? New Prophesies?

Sandersons much quicker pace just seems right with the storylines climaxing.

message 17: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments ***SPOILERS***

I think we found out who Gaidal Cain is too. Grady's son. When Grady was talking to Perrin he mentioned his son was as pretty as a stump. We know Grady had a young son in LoC and Gaidal Cain went missing sometime during or before FoH.

Also, I think we found out what would be strange about Avi's 4 kids. In avi's second trip through the rings it was mentioned that they were always channeling the source. They don't have to embrace it or let it go, and they seemed to be born channeling.

John, I think the red veiled Aiel are the male channelers that went to the blight. I think they were turned by the 13x13. I also think that that is what is happening to the guys at the Black Tower.

We also finally found out who killed Asmo! I had already guessed it, but it was nice to see it confirmed.

message 18: by Indi (new)

Indi (kaeriani) | 1 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: "***SPOILERS***

I think we found out who Gaidal Cain is too. Grady's son. When Grady was talking to Perrin he mentioned his son was as pretty as a stump. We know Grady had a young son in LoC and..."

Wait a minute, who killed him? Was it Graendal (when it was said she killed/had a hand in 3 foresaken dying)? Or did I miss something else?

Also, was anyone else blindsided by the Thom/Moiraine relationship? I thought he just wanted to know who, of the Red Ajah, was responsible for what happened to his nephew.

And, also, we've only been hinted to about the scandal from 20 years ago with the Red Ajah and whatever inappropriate stuff they did, right? It was never really straight-out answered?

message 19: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments ***Spoilers***

Yes, it was Graendal that killed Asmo.

I already knew about the Moiraine/Thom relationship and I knew they would get married. It was very subtle, but the hints are there if you go back and re-read the series.

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber (rebma55) | 5 comments ***Spoilers***

I loved this book. The only thing I didn't like was the pace....With WOT I'm so used to Jordan's slow detailed pace....reading through this with less detail on the character's surroundings and thoughts kind of threw me off balance. Also, that part of the book was in it's proper timeline....after Rand's revelation but then Perrin's is right before it. Interesting, but confusing....I kept waiting for it to catch up with the rest of the book. I LOVE how Nyneave recenters herself, taking Rand's advice and following her emotions/passion rather than the Aes Sedai practice of emmanating calm. OMG Mat's EYE!

The prophesy that the Dragon Reborn will tie the Daughter of the Nine Moons to him....(I think that's what it is....correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just starting a re-read of the series..been 5 years) has Mat done that by marrying her? Oh and....That he'll kneel before the crystal throne....any thoughts on that because I'm coming up blank, hoping that, like other prophesies it doens't mean exactly what it's saying. Aviendha's ter'angreal experience frightened me....especially the Seanchan invasion.

I can't wait for the next book!

message 21: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments Amber wrote: "***Spoilers***

I loved this book. The only thing I didn't like was the pace....With WOT I'm so used to Jordan's slow detailed pace....reading through this with less detail on the character's sur..."

***SPOILERS***

Yes, I think it says Rand will bind the nine moons to him or something similar. I was thinking this would have something to do with Mat being Prince of the Ravens. Maybe not though.

The prophesy that says Rand will kneel to the crystal throne (meaning Tuon I assume) is a Seanchan prophesy that Ishmael planted during his time there. So I think the only way this would happen would be if Rand does it just to get Tuon to agree to call a truce and help fight in the last battle. I never thought he would, but now with his zen attitude, I am worried he might do it.

I am hoping that Avi will warn Rand of her trip and that in turn will somehow change those events. I really, really hope that what Avi saw doesn't come to pass. I am not sure if we will even ever know.

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber (rebma55) | 5 comments I'm thinking with his zen attitude and touch of madness that he'll find a way around the whole kneeling to the throne....although the words make it seem a literal thing, or at least bend it to his advantage.

I love the new Rand....seeing/reading that he's able to smile and cry and care, warmed my heart right up each time I read something like that.

The visions in the ter'angreal are another thread, they need to be woven in and tied up. I hope. :)

message 23: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) I found this one very enjoyable. I think the one language use that kind of startles and makes me think he didn't quite get that right is using "played" for made a fool of. that does feel too modern. This volume gave a nice sense that all of the boys have grown up and become men who are ready for responsibility. Again I think that although the characters are very sexist as people in a society with strongly defined sex roles seem to be that Jordan/Sanderson has drawn real characters and not stereotypes. I ususally find fantasy to be unbearably sexist and this doesn't hit me that way.

message 24: by Roshio (last edited Jan 02, 2011 09:33AM) (new)

Roshio | 35 comments wow looking at the threads, I obviously missed out on stuff while reading this! I didn't even think of Grady's son being Gaidal Cain! and I didn't realise Ishamael planted some prophecies in Seanchan! Brilliant! I can't wait to see how this plays out. I think even though Rand's attitude has changed, he's not gonna bow to her, no way (I hope). I find Sanderson's take on WOT less sexist than Jordan's which is good. I didn't have any 'eye rolling' moments in this book.

I have this fear that one more book isn't enough to wrap everything up. And we'll have to theorize for the rest of our lives! :(

I was also trying to see during Aviendha's visions whether there were any hints on whether Rand lives or dies after the last battle. I didn't get any though. Did anyone else?

And also, did anyone get the bit with Lanfear at the end in Rand's dream? I was quite confused, was it a ruse? or was she really frightened? Odd.

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber (rebma55) | 5 comments I thought Lanfear was brought back as Cyndane (sp?)?

message 26: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments Yep, she was. Merin (I can't remember how to spell her name), Lanfear, and now Cyndane. I don't know if it was genuine or not. It is something I have gone back and forth with (that and the red veiled Aiel). I was pretty stunned that the word desire was used though. I almost threw my book.

Roshio, you should listen to the 4th Age podcast at Dragonmount.com . The ToM episodes haven't been posted yet, but in them all of WoT is picked apart and lots of theories fly around.

message 27: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments wow thanks Carrie, I did not know this podcast existed! Thank you! :D

message 28: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments Just a warning, the early podcasts are super newbie like. Hopefully the ToM episodes will be up soon. I know some are edited but the editor went away before he had a chance to send them to the person that posts them.

message 29: by B.evil (new)

B.evil | 3 comments It was so good, everything that I wanted Rand to be since the first book. I cried when he introduced Min to Tam and how he treated everyone like he was a real person again instead of having to be this hard man who has to save the world. So So So good, I loved it, and have not been so satisfied by something since reading it, especially after going for this long.

Side note, I thought Olver was Gaidal, maybe not though. Oh and Moraine and Thom, I did not see it coming.

message 30: by Jarrett (new)

Jarrett | 2 comments B.evil wrote: "It was so good, everything that I wanted Rand to be since the first book. I cried when he introduced Min to Tam and how he treated everyone like he was a real person again instead of having to be ..."

@B.evil - Olver cant be Gaidal. Me and my dragonmont friends worked out the timelines, and Olver was born before Gaidal disappeared from Tel Aran Rhoid.

You know that a character is awesome when the first scene he is in, all he does is ack for directions from an apple farmer, and when it's finished you think "That was so epic!"

message 31: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments LOL too true!!! I thought "woot! go Rand!". Tarmon Gaidon is gonna be fricking epic.

message 32: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (lordcirth) | 3 comments I loved that scene. He's just so carelessly mysterious with a hint of demigod. And I can't w8 for Tarmon Gaidon, and the rest of Lan's battle.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Love ToM!! Anyone else not like Min though???? I reckon Aviendha should get more time wid him... or Elayne.
Anyone else from Dragonmount???

message 34: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments Gabrielle wrote: "Love ToM!! Anyone else not like Min though???? I reckon Aviendha should get more time wid him... or Elayne.
Anyone else from Dragonmount???"

why do you not like Min?? I think my favourite is probably Min although Aviendha is a close second. She's a great balance to Rand. She doesn't care for all that 'glory' etc. She loves him for who he is and she always always puts Rand first unlike Aviendha or Elayne who have prioritised Aes Sedai interest sometimes. And also Min is probably the only female character that doesn't treat men like dirt.

message 35: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I love Min. I do agree she seems to get most of Rand's time, but Avi and Elayne have their own things they have to deal with. they can't be with Rand right now anyway.

There was somebody else in this thread that mentioned DM. I havr been a member for many years but for the past 5 years I don't post as much as I used to.

message 36: by Walter (new)

Walter (boltwalt) | 38 comments I also like Min the most of all of Rands' girls.

I'm about to start another re-read of the series so that I will be ready for the final book, though I will be saddened by the fact that it will be the final book.

message 37: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments Walter wrote: "I also like Min the most of all of Rands' girls.

I'm about to start another re-read of the series so that I will be ready for the final book, though I will be saddened by the fact that it will b..."

its scarily sad. There will be a hole left and I'm not sure I'll ever find anything to fill it with. :(

message 38: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments Roshio wrote: "Walter wrote: "I also like Min the most of all of Rands' girls.

I'm about to start another re-read of the series so that I will be ready for the final book, though I will be saddened by the fact..."

I agree. There is nothing that can compare to WoT and the way I feel about it. I am excited for the last book, but it is also very depressing. When it is all over I know I will have a huge void and it will take a while for me to get out of my funk.

I thought of doing a re-read too. I read the first book a while ago and thought I might just keep going.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't like Min because she's so possessive of Rand. I think my favourite of Rand's girls is definitely Aviendha, because she is so strong and fearless, and she is quite funny.
I really don't want WoT to end, but at the same time I want to find out what happens next. I must have re-read the series at least 10 times in 3 monthes!!!!

message 40: by Mach (last edited Oct 17, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

Mach | 38 comments I like Min and Aviendha but i can't stand Elayne for some reason in the last books. I don't like Egwene either, i always find her chapters to be the most boring.

I am doing a reread now where i read a Wot book, then something else and then back to Wot again, this way i get a little variation in between books. I am starting The Shadow Rising tomorrow, hopefulle i will have read all the books by March.

message 41: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments Mach wrote: "I like Min and Aviendha but i can't stand Elayne for some reason in the last books. I don't like Egwene either i always find her chapters to be the most boring."

I liked Egwene at the start, but ever since she became Amyrlin, I've found her deeply annoying. Towers of Midnight was particularly bad for this. I personally think the power's gone to her head and can't see what Gawyn sees in her.

message 42: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments By the way, I have this constant fear that we won't get everything done in the next book. Like there are so many loose strings to tie plus Tarmon Gaidon. So many questions to be answered. I worry.

message 43: by Mach (last edited Oct 17, 2011 12:04PM) (new)

Mach | 38 comments Yeah who does she think she is? Rand is the Dragon Reborn not her. By the end of The Towers of Midnight i was hoping someone would put her in place.

message 44: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I love Egwene, but there are times when she really drives me crazy. I still love her though. Elayne not so much. I don't dislike her, it's more that she is annoying a lot. I did love her and Mat's scenes in ToM though. That was great.

Mach, I doubt AMoL will be out in March like previously hoped. So you should have more time to re-read.

Now I want to pick up a WoT book. :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked Egwene before she went to the WT, but ever since she's been really annoying... I mean, she's a good character, but she is a control freak and she doesn't seem to get that Rand knows what he's doing.
I really want to find out what Elayne's kids will be like.... :P
I really like how Matt and Tuon turned out, and I was really suprised when Tom and Moiraine decided to get married. Was anyone else shocked????
I would like to see more of Matt and Tuon, because she's really eccentric and sort of balances out Matt's bad sides... :P

message 46: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments Thom and Moiraine...did not see that coming. I'd have believed a Rand and Moiraine pairing before that.

I didn't like Tuon at the real start because I thought she was too hard on Mat, but I've grown to like her. She works really well with Mat. I can't remember, but does she know that Mat's good friends with Rand yet??

What about Faile, any verdicts?

message 47: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 78 comments I can't stand Faile. She is just plain annoying.

Tuon knows Mat is friends with Rand, but she doesn't know his connection to the horn. That could be interesting and it could maybe help get her to truce with Rand for TLB. I really like Tuon and Mat's budding relationship, but I really hope we get to see something more between them before the series ends. I want to see Tuon do something way out there to help Mat, something unexpected. Mat is always doing things to help everybody else and doesn't get much gratitude in return.

I saw Thom and Moiraine. There were lots of hints at it. My husband caught it too which was surprising to me. I didn't think he would catch on. But when I told him about Moiraine's hopeful rescue before ToM was released, he said "oh good, now Thom will finally get some". I just rolled my eyes at him.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Carrie (Care) wrote: "I can't stand Faile. She is just plain annoying.

Tuon knows Mat is friends with Rand, but she doesn't know his connection to the horn. That could be interesting and it could maybe help get her to..."

i never caught on about Moiraine and Thom... :P

I like Faile - she's really strong and confident, and i think she's good for Perrin.

I want to see more between Tuon and Matt too - we don't see enough!!!

Hmmm, Moiraine and Rand? Interesting...

Any thoughts on Logain and Taim?

message 49: by Mach (new)

Mach | 38 comments I think Logain is becoming the king of Illian because of the aura Min sees around him. Taim is a darkfriend i think.

message 50: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 35 comments Oh Taim has been confirmed as a dark friend for sure. But I'm not too clear as to what Logain will be. Min's viewing stumps me. What can him stepping over Rand's corpse mean??

« previous 1