Terminalcoffee discussion

Rants / Debates (Serious) > At what age is retirement reasonable?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I heard a lot of French workers are striking today because of changes in the pension program:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001...

The changes would raise the retirement age to 62 from 60 by 2018 and increase to 67 from 65 the age at which workers can retire with full entitlements.

I think the pension issue was huge in Greece as well. What do you think? At what age should people retire with "full entitlements"? What are full entitlements? How should this be funded?

Personally, I don't see myself retiring at sixty-two. I doubt I'll be able to afford it. I'm ok with that, I guess. Ask me in twenty years. You?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i wish i could retire at 62. i was on track to be able to retire at 53 (wouldn't have) until the factory i worked at closed three years ago. now i will be 92 in walmart checking your bags when you leave

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments I retired early, but I still have an opinion.

"Full entitlements" should be a means-tested social security, with Medicare or a public insurance option.*

The age? It's hard to say without taking part in a wide discussion and hearing others' reasons for the age they choose.

*Entitlements should also include discounted prices at movie theaters and restaurants.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
As an American, the French and Greeks sound like big whiners to me. A retirement age of 60 with all the government social programs in those countries that need to be funded just seems absurd. I think 65 is reasonable. But I don't think 65 will stay the norm - aren't they already talking about raising the Social Security retirement age to 67? Maybe it's a done deal, I don't know.

OT: The whole pension issue is fraught with problems. Here in Illinois our public pension system is underfunded by ridiculous amounts and it's hard for me to see how it can be funded properly and still have the state perform other functions and provide expected services. The SEC just caught New Jersey lying about its pension funding and this may happen to Illinois too.

message 5: by Donitello (new)

Donitello | 148 comments Despair.com has an excellent demotivational poster on this. I can't seem to post the image, but here's the link:

http://despair.com/retirement.html

(Why can't I post the image? Anyone know?)

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Doni wrote: "Despair.com has an excellent demotivational poster on this. I can't seem to post the image, but here's the link:

http://despair.com/retirement.html

(Why can't I post the image? Anyone know?)"

no idea, but i can.

message 7: by Donitello (new)

Donitello | 148 comments Thenk yewwwww, janine!

message 8: by Donitello (new)

Donitello | 148 comments As do I. If you've done the task, you should get the reward. If you've worked 44 years, I'd say you've done the task.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I love my work so much I can't imagine ever retiring.

Uh huh.

Actually, I just don't want to think about how long it will be until I can.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That's my problem too Larry, will I be able to enjoy retirement once I can afford retirement.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I always try to avoid wishing my life away, since so much of it has gone away so fast already -- if you know what I mean.

blink-of-an-eye

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I understand completely.

message 13: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) In America the age at which we retire is based solely on how much we have socked away in our retirement accounts. The earlier you start the better, open one for your kid! (Kidding, they have to have taxable earned income.) In America you cannot afford to live on SS, and by the time we retire, even though we have paid into it our entire working lives, there is no guarantee there will be anything there. Europeans have a vastly different set up. They also have higher taxes than most of us...

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) P.S. I'm hoping 39 is the magic number for me! heh.