The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5) The Horse and His Boy discussion

The Horse and his boy!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tate My favorite Narnia book, by far!

message 2: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Bailey A nice little read.

Although not my favorite, it's not my least favorite either. I did find Aravis entertaining.

My favorite remains The Silver Chair.

Shannon I really liked all of the books...I can't really decide which I like the best. I really enjoyed The Horse and his Boy.

Laura Birks This is also my fave Narnia book though I finished 6 and 7 yet so it may change!

Nikki I think this is the most underrated of the Narnia books. I LOVED this book and I loved that it had a different storyline with a lot of backstory. It would be my favorite if it wasn't for the beautiful storyline of Aslan in LWW or the magical storyline of how Narnia all began in Magician's Nephew. All three books are tied for my favorite :D

Dave Law Nice to know I wasn't the only one to consider this their favorite Narnia book. :)

Elfiegirl I don't want to put a damper on all these polite smiley faced compliments on the book, but i have to say---this book was such a dragging on, and had a indescribably lame plot and.....everything (to me) and i didn't really enjoy it.
Sorry :-/

Sofi this is my faaaave narnia book, it was so fun and cute! and obviously well written

M'n'm I thot the lion the witch and the wardrobe was the all around best book in the Narnia series but this one was really close.

message 10: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ I enjoyed this book. I wouldn't mind seeing this one made into a movie.

M'n'm IKR?!?

HadiDee I think this is the quiet gem of the series. I read the whole series as a child and still love them, but this I like better each time I read it. My favourite? It's a toss-up between this or The Silver Chair.

M'n'm I didnt really like the Silver Chair, i thot it was kinda stupid

Peter My favorite is Magician's Nephew! Silver Chair is a close second and I can't wait for the movies!!!

As far as Horse & His Boy goes, I really didn't like it when I was little... I felt exactly like Elfiegirl (message 8). But I just read it again a few months ago and I also liked it a lot!

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I did enjoy this one - The Voyage of the Dawntreader has always been my favourite in the series.

Torie Definitely not my favorite Narnia book! More like my second-to-least-favorite, even though it was great. Prince Caspian is my least fave. My #1 favorite Narnia book is probably 'The Magician's Nephew,' but they're all wonderful novels!!!

Naomi In my opinion this is one of the best adventure stories ever! It should not be made into a movie, it's perfect how it is.

MizziQ I honestly hated this series. The gem in it all? This book.

Magda I am reading book in the order they were written. I am not sure why people compare Aslan to God or Jesus. I read 5 books already and it has nothing to do with Christianity. I am Roman Catholic myself and see just make believe world of Narnia. Aslan is more like a magician in my opinion.
I believe this part can be read in series or separately. You are not missing anything in the sequence.

I love the series. My least favorite was Silver Chair.

Torie ^
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is an obvious analogy of the story of Jesus sacrificing his own life to save another's, then coming back to life. Aslan does the exact same thing.

message 21: by J.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.D. Field i liked the voyage of the dawntreader
i hated the last battle. so depressing

Torie ^
The Last Battle was definitely sad, but it had the most incredible and satisfying ending. That story amazes me.

Austinp i thought that this is the second best book in the series, but I read it when I had a fourth grade reading level, so I think that I should read it again.

Amanda i liked this book a lot. especially the talking horse, bree. maybe thats cuz i just luuuuuvvvvvvv horses. haha. o well. haha. ya, best book, eva!!!!!

Austinp Naomi wrote: "In my opinion this is one of the best adventure stories ever! It should not be made into a movie, it's perfect how it is."
Yeah, i can't stand the movies, I wish that the people making the movies would just give up, I mean they make these books look like they suck.

brooke1994 I loved this title, too. I loved the horses

Emily :) I didn't get the book if anyway can help me understand why it is important to the rest of the series i would be grateful. it confused me because it like had nothing to do with the other books from my point of view anyway

Emily :) Magda wrote: "I am reading book in the order they were written. I am not sure why people compare Aslan to God or Jesus. I read 5 books already and it has nothing to do with Christianity. I am Roman Catholic myse..."

if you read the very first book it would tell you how Narnia is created it makes it very clear of the comparison between him and God.

Magda Emily :) wrote: "Magda wrote: "I am reading book in the order they were written. I am not sure why people compare Aslan to God or Jesus. I read 5 books already and it has nothing to do with Christianity. I am Roman..."

I was reading them in the order they were written so I did not get to this point yet when I made comment.
Up until this one book I did not see any resemblance.

Emily :) I get it now sorry, I didn't know what order they were written in i just read them the way they were in order.

brooke1994 I liked this one, but my all time favorite has to be either the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe and prince Caspian

Elisabeth Wheatley Dave wrote: "Nice to know I wasn't the only one to consider this their favorite Narnia book. :)"

Hey! It's my favorite, too!!! :)

Klara I love all the Narnia books:)
My favourite is The magician's nephew, then The Last battle and The horse and his boy is third.

Betty I enjoyed it but my favorite was the Last Battle

Elisabeth Wheatley J.D. wrote: "i liked the voyage of the dawntreader
i hated the last battle. so depressing"

Well, a little. But everybody got to go to heaven in the end, right? :)

Rosie This ones definitly my favorourite! :) Forced dad to read all the books aswell haha >:)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen M'n'm wrote: "I didnt really like the Silver Chair, i thot it was kinda stupid"

thot?

Nicole D. I just reread the horse and his boy and liked a lot better this time.It is now tie for my third favorite with The Last Battle.My least favorite is The Silver Chair.I had trouble getting thought it as a kid and also as an adult.It took me the longest to read.

Hannah Christmas This was one of my favorites. I feel like it would probably make a really good movie.

Patricia I've yet to read them all but so far my favourite has to be The Magician's Nephew.

message 41: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne This is my favorite Narnia book!!! I love Arvris and Shasta. and their horses to. (I can't remember the horses names ) Silver Chair and Magician's Nephew also favorites from this series. C.S. Lewis did a great job!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this book. Hope they make a movie!

Emily Ann this was my favorite loved it more then the rest. but I like them all I loved the Magician's Nephew too!

Duskdsquare I love The Magician's Nephew due to the idea of a world brought to existence with just a song, but I also love The Final Battle for the ending, though a little depressing, concludes the story so well I can stop myself from thinking future development(I tend to imagine alternate endings and further plots for other books).

Lesley Arrowsmith Back when CS Lewis was writing, there weren't really any other fantasy series around, so there were no "rules" about how to write them - so CS Lewis could change the main characters, and write about Shasta within Narnia instead of children from this world visiting Narnia, if he wanted to. That's why the series doesn't fit together like a modern series - he really was making it up as he went along.

Monique My favorite too, frankly. A Horse and His Boy just had so much excitement and travel and intrigue. My absolute least fav was The Silver Chair. Could not stand that one though I understood what the message was.

@Duskdsquare: I've always liked that too - the world being formed by song. It's actually one of the cross pollination places between Narnia and Middle Earth (actually in The Silmarillion). I always enjoy seeing the little places where there is a Narnia moment in LotR or a LotR moment in Narnia.

Claru I read all of the books 6 years ago and The Horse and His Boy was my least favourite. Maybe I'll re-read it to see if I still feel that way about that book. My favourites were The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian and The Magician's Nephew.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien were friends, so there will be some similarities. I love this series, my favourite is the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I hated the last one.

Grace The Chronicles of Narnia are a series of seven novels by C.S LEWIS, filled with beautiful fantasy, magic, mythical beasts, and talking animals! C.S Lewis explores themes not usually present in children's literature, such as religion. C. S. Lewis described Aslan as an alternative version of Jesus as the form in which Christ might have appeared in an alternative reality. Which has caused some controversy. Read these books many years ago but THE HORSE AND HIS BOY is definitely one of my favorite NARNIA books. The Magician's Nephew is my least favorite of the seven novels.

message 50: by C. J. (new) - added it

C. J. Scurria Altogether great book. I like the symbolism in his books and liked the twist at the end. It was a very good book. One I might have to look over in the future if I can find the copy.

« previous 1