Haruki Murakami fans discussion

Murakami and Film > Norwegian Wood movie

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Lusine (new)

Lusine | 2 comments Does anyone know if it will be released in the US and when?

message 3: by Dean (new)

Dean | 10 comments It's at the Toronto Film Festival so I assume it will be next year. Probably only in a few, large markets, though. The Tokyo release isn't until December.

message 4: by Dean (new)

Dean | 10 comments Here's a very short trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDfeEJ...

message 5: by Lusine (new)

Lusine | 2 comments Thank you

message 6: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments Thanks Dean! gave me something to look forward to for next year!
it was a relief that the movie is made by a Japanese, no offense meant but if it were made in Hollywood, I believe there would be a lot of different takes and plots that the essence of the original story is taken out.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (traveler8) | 6 comments According to Internet Movie Database, Rinko Kikuchi will play Naoko - Kikuchi is the actress who received a best supporting actress nomination for Babel a couple of years ago.

message 8: by William (new)

William Graney | 29 comments Really looking forward to this.

message 9: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 2 comments Cannot wait! The girl who plays Midori looks just how I thought she would! :) I also second the comment about it not being made by hollywood, its too delicate a story to be destroyed by the americans. Im so glad the japanese are making it!

message 10: by William (new)

William Graney | 29 comments I imagine most of you have seen this since it's shown on the youtube trailer but here's an extended trailer:
http://norway-mori.com/
Most Murakami fans seem to consider NW to be "Murakami lite" but it's one of my all time favorite novels and I love seeing books I've read made into movies.
The reviews are a bit disappointing but I'm still very enthused.

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen | 56 comments William wrote: "I imagine most of you have seen this since it's shown on the youtube trailer but here's an extended trailer:
http://norway-mori.com/
Most Murakami fans seem to consider NW to be "Murakami lite" but..."

Yeah, NW is sometimes called a very un-Murakami-ish book. It reminds me a lot of Catcher in the Rye. But I suppose this isn't an entirely new insight.

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen | 56 comments One of the things I wonder about the Noreweigan Woods movies is how they are going to deal with the issue of sex and the Japanese right wing...these seem like really touchy subjects.

message 13: by John (new)

John | 8 comments Awww, so sad to hear NW didn't measure up. I am hoping to watch it when it comes out on Netflix. Somebody told me it will probably only be shown at theaters in a few markets like LA and NY. Don't know if that is actually true -- I hope not.

message 14: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments but I still would want to watch it.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick | 21 comments It's a beautiful film. It's mostly true to the book, but leaves certain things out or doesn't dwell on them. It's not a 'great' film, but it's a good adaptation.

I can't express just how beautiful it is though. One to watch on a big screen, or on blu-ray at home.

message 16: by J (last edited Apr 10, 2011 12:06AM) (new)

J | 13 comments Heidi wrote: "I was disappionted about some of the things they left out but once i read up a little on the differances in Japanese film making i had even more respect for it"

What do you mean "Japanese film making"?? The film was made by a French-Vietnamese director with Japanese cast and it's not like the whole crew was Japanese - cinematography and music were done by non-Japanese. But "Japanese film making" or not, it in no way excuses how badly this film was made. The film left out so many things and marginalised characters it should not have marginalised. I have so many problems with the film and the actors that I don't even want to think of it as an adaptation of "Norwegian Wood" the novel.

message 17: by Christoffer (new)

Christoffer (Close) | 2 comments I dreaded the opening of NW for quite some time because I feared it wouldn't be translated well into film. Having seen it finally, I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the way Anh Hung Tran interpreted the book and how he set up the plot. The reason I love Murakami is cause every single page, and maybe evenn every sentence and word, in his novels are immensely important in understanding the beauty and complex nature of his stories. Even though they're not longer than many other stories, there's not much you can simply cut out and still maintain a plausible and understandable plot I think we all interpreted NW in different ways and I really enjoyed watching, what I thought was a very dark version of it by Hung Tran.

However, there are things I dislike about the movie, especially how marginalised Reiko's role is. For me she is the most diverse and interesting character in the book and I think her influence on both Naoko and Watanabe should have been focused on more than in fact was. But that's not really the point, I can settle for making changes in order to focus more on other parts of the story. I did feel, however, that her sleeping with Watanabe in the end of the film simply didn't make any sense considering how vague her and Watanabe's relation was. In the book they share a deep connection and understanding of each other and therefore, I thought, is them sleeping together and act of beauty, and in a way allowing them to achieve katharsis. Personally I felt that part was diminished and rather confusing in the film. It felt squeesed in.

Anyhow, I laughed, I wept; I was mezmerised and stunned. And strangely enough... somewhat proud.

message 18: by William (new)

William Graney | 29 comments @Christoffer - Very well said.

"The reason I love Murakami is cause every single page, and maybe evenn every sentence and word, in his novels are immensely important in understanding the beauty and complex nature of his stories"

message 19: by Logos88 (last edited Apr 12, 2011 04:42AM) (new)

Logos88 | 2 comments My expectations were not high because I was told and I had read that the film was not specially good.
After watching it, I think much scenes don't make sense if you haven't read the book, because a lot of important material wasn't adapted.
Expect disappointment and you will find it OK, as I did.

message 20: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Strange (energydrinkbanana) | 16 comments The movie blowed. I won't go into an exhaustive opinion however I did despise it.

message 21: by William (new)

William Graney | 29 comments I saw the movie yesterday and liked it. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to the masses and there were some things I would have done differently but overall I thought it was well done.

message 22: by John (new)

John | 8 comments I'm kind of disappointed... the book had it's "release" a few weeks ago, but only in about three theaters nationwide. That's not much of a release if you ask me. Somehow, it didn't have a boffo box office weekend (on the three screens in America). How silly, why did they bother to release it at all? Oh well, someday maybe it'll be on Netflix or Redbox so that then maybe the little people can see it.

message 23: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 2 comments I was disappointed. My favourite scene in the book was completely left out. I did however love midoris apartment, I thought it was exactly how it should have been. I would still recommend seeing it if you have read the book but it (as most adaptations dont) certainly doesnt measure up to the beauty of murakamis words.

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly W (mirume) | 17 comments Mod
I had a chance to catch the film last night at Sundance Kabuki in San Francisco. Overall I thought it was a beautifully made film. It's been several years since I've read the book, so it wasn't fresh in my mind, which was probably a good thing since it allowed me to view the scenes a little more objectively.

I think when you watch a film adaptation, you have to accept that a lot of the lush language you might have cherished in the film is going to be conveyed through lush cinematography and other visual storytelling techniques. Which is hard for me to accept sometimes.

I only wish that some of the scenes hadn't been drawn out so much, and that more attention was given to flushing out the characters through dialogue. Naturally NONE of the characters were as interesting on screen as in the book, which made the deep emotional bonds that were formed between the characters not feel as natural/believable as I would have liked. I feel like a few more snippets of dialogue would have a least helped.

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark Kelly wrote: "I had a chance to catch the film last night at Sundance Kabuki in San Francisco. Overall I thought it was a beautifully made film. It's been several years since I've read the book, so it wasn't fre..."

you're lucky you could find tickets. by the time I saw it was playing around here tix were already sold out :-( ... nice review!

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom Hancock | 3 comments Norwegian Wood is on my Murakami list right after 1Q84. If I can find the film on dvd I'll probably watch it first to avoid any book versus movie disappointment.