On Reading Graphic Novels discussion

Starman Omnibus - anyone reading?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Sep 07, 2010 02:46AM) (new)

Nick (nickkingan) | 1 comments The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1 by James Dale Robinson

I've just bought vol 1-4 and waiting on the release of 5 and 6. I got them as a mate of mine told me good things, has anyone read any of it? Any good? :)

message 2: by Amir (new)

Amir Mishali | 2 comments I've read omnibus 1-3 and 4 is waiting on my table.

It's pretty good, if not the masterpiece a lot of people are making it to be. Jack Knight is a no nonsense kind of super hero. You would never catch him in spandex, and he's not afraid to tell batman that he has a very long stick up his a&*!. Plus, The Shade is really cool, and the mini series about him at the beginning of omnibus is nothing short of amazing.

I gave omnibus 1 3 stars, and omnibus 2-3 4 stars.

message 3: by Amir (new)

Amir Mishali | 2 comments Oh yeah, I will definitely buy omnibus 5 and 6 when they come out.

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin | 5 comments STARMAN remains my favorite superhero comic book of all time. To date, only INVINCIBLE manages to give it a run for its money, but the dynamics of each title are entirely different.

Specifically, I came to the title with a bit of vested interested in the father-son and brother-brother conflict. I related to the relationship between Jack and Ted (as father & son) and I related to the relationship between Jack and David (as brother & brother).

More than that, though, the entire series is a character study of Jack Knight, who is probably one of the most underestimated and underused characters that's come out of the DCU.

If you're along for the long ride, welcome to it.

Yes, I believe that Jack's story resolves itself and posits STARMAN (still) as one of the greatest achievements in long-form storytelling. (Many readers are poo poo-ing James Robinson's latest run with JLA, and I frankly haven't read it. From what I hear of it, though, I'm aghast that it's written by the same author.)

Yes, I would like to see Jack Knight return to the DCU as even a C-list hero (since he doesn't really possess the wherewithal to be A-list or even B-list, at times), but if he never does, I'd almost prefer to read STARMAN as a title IN the DCU, but not necessarily OF the DCU. It's stand-alone stuff that anyone can grasp, so long as they can wrap their head around Solomon Grundy. (And a knowledge of that character isn't really necessary!)

Yes, it's a slow burn. A friend of mine had trouble getting through the first six "issues" of the series because it's entrenched in character development. If you're looking for regeneration and claws and global conquest and mutant genes...you won't find it here. What you'll find, if you're patient, is brilliant storytelling that is made all the more better at the END of the tunnel. Get there, and then look back. Like life, you notice the connections a lot more than you did while you were living it.

And, yes, even if you don't have those connections to the characters...Jack, Ted, David, and more (and the TALKING WITH DAVID chapters are heart-wrenching and BRILLIANT)...you're still going to appreciate this book as a very literate departure from the spandexed heroes that populate the DCU.

STARMAN remains one of those titles that I wish I could go back and read again for the first time.

It's THAT good.

Like any long-form narrative, it dips a little bit along the way, but the conclusion of the story made me feel for Jack Knight what I felt for Jesse Custer in PREACHER, Yorick in Y: THE LAST MAN, Mitchell Hundred in EX MACHINA, and few, few other characters whose story was encapsulated in a single "series".

It's a journey.

Please, take it.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Dinger | 18 comments What can I say to add to this? I really enjoyed Starman too. Needless to say it came out at a time when the entire industry kinda sucked and proved great comics could come out. The series and its spinoffs were wonderful as was the series The Golden Age which Robinson also did. Great comics which came out at a time when DC wanted to do that. Sadly in these Didio times, those days are over.

message 6: by Brad (new)

Brad | 20 comments Just to add a bit to what Justin had to say, Starman is amazing. From cover to back cover, even one of the best letters pages in comicdom. When I read it, it was coming out monthly and at times I hated it, but when it was complete and I was able to read it again, which I did from start to finish about a year ago, it was brilliant.
James Robinson, in this series at least, could balance angst, action and plot and nostalgia like no ones business.